All things Dundee FC

6 hours ago, Dee-funked said:

What job is that? The one he started by knocking your mob out the cup with a goal in the SF for Killie? emoji23.png

Thanks for the memories Dee-funked.  Great way to start the day.

9 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

He finished 6th, 7th and won a cup final in his 2 years previous to that. I’m sure nearly all Dundee fans would take that if you offered it them right now.

It’s not exactly inspiring but I believe he’ll keep Dundee in the league. It’s also a one year rolling contract which isn’t too risky.

All of this will be retracted if Dodds walks back through the door. I think there’d be riots if it happened.

You should check his actual record. I'm fairly certain he was absolutely dreadful for County every season until the January window, where he was allowed to spend an absolute fortune building a new squad.

The fact it became a running joke should tell you how it common it was.

8 hours ago, Chateau Lafite said:

Does anybody know the legal status on requesting a refund on the season ticket?
I can stomach McIntyre, but it's not inspiring.
If DFC appoint Dodds then I want my money back.

:lol: Pretty sure you'll be getting nothing

Kenny Miller on Sportsound last night slating referees bad decisions. He said that the decisions like the one in giving Kilmarnock a penalty for Jordan Jones dive, cost managers their jobs, can cost players their place in a squad with a new manager coming in, back room staff jobs can go. No mention whatsoever that the real reason that all this happened was a player cheating and trying to con the referee, which the referee fell for. Cheating players never get the blame, but at the end of the day it’s a cheating player that is at the root of it. If Jordan Jones doesn’t dive the referee doesn’t get conned and give a penalty. The referee isn’t cheating, but players are.

45 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Ooft.

Aside from the Dodds issue which I realise is your main concern, I don't see how you can call Jim McIntyre 'uninspiring' when you were saying you'd take Jim Duffy, Jocky Scott and Archie Knox. Whatever reasonable concerns there are over McIntyre's ability to turn it round, he's clearly a better manager than the three of them put together. 

No, he's not.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Kenny Miller on Sportsound last night slating referees bad decisions. He said that the decisions like the one in giving Kilmarnock a penalty for Jordan Jones dive, cost managers their jobs, can cost players their place in a squad with a new manager coming in, back room staff jobs can go. No mention whatsoever that the real reason that all this happened was a player cheating and trying to con the referee, which the referee fell for. Cheating players never get the blame, but at the end of the day it’s a cheating player that is at the root of it. If Jordan Jones doesn’t dive the referee doesn’t get conned and give a penalty. The referee isn’t cheating, but players are.

Wow.........I'm assuming Ketamine.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Also it's a nonsense soundbite thing to say. Officials don't cost a manager their job. They never have done and never will. A manager being shite for a sustained period of time costs a manager their job. I hate when managers blame the referee or other matchday officials.

It's such a cowardly and easy way to totally abdicate responsibility. The officials don't sign shite players. They don't set up a team poorly. They don't fail to motivate a team properly. They don't fail to prepare a team correctly. They don't miss easy chances, they don't make defensive errors and they don't play poorly in numerous games.

Kevin Holt acting quite bitter in the papers today. Pulling the, 'I don't care if McCann didn't want to offer me a new contract, I was leaving anyways card'.

Scott Bains mate going to bat for him.

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

So you don’t agree that the referee wouldn’t have given the penalty if Jordan Jones hadn’t cheated?

I'm not sure about killiekranky but there are far too many negatives in that post for me to understand what you are asking.

We got a poor penalty decision (not cheating though I agree) against us against Dundee back in Feb/March time and then in the Motherwell game a couple of weeks ago.  Both times the team came from behind to win those games.   Thats the difference between a manager like Clarke and a manager like McCann.  

If McCann had won the previous 8 games before we beat Dundee would he have been sacked because we won at Dens?  No.  He was sacked because his team have been shite for pretty much this whole calendar year.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Ooft.

Aside from the Dodds issue which I realise is your main concern, I don't see how you can call Jim McIntyre 'uninspiring' when you were saying you'd take Jim Duffy, Jocky Scott and Archie Knox. Whatever reasonable concerns there are over McIntyre's ability to turn it round, he's clearly a better manager than the three of them put together. 

Clueless 

45 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

No, he's not.

Jocky Scott hasn't managed for seven years, his last job being with Stirling Albion. He was sacked after seven defeats in a row left them bottom of League One in December - he'd taken them over in January in the Championship.

Discounting brief spells as caretaker and one year as Scotland under-21 manager, Archie Knox hasn't managed since he left Dundee in 1986. In your current position that would be a Tommy Craig level of insane appointment.

Jim Duffy somewhat rebuilt his reputation with Morton after sliding from managing in the top flight to finishing bottom of the fourth tier in the space of six years through being crap in three successive jobs - relegating Dundee in one of them - but ultimately lived off one excellent six month spell in four seasons and was in the end deservedly sacked for overseeing a complete collapse as he couldn't resist tinkering with a winning team.

I fully appreciate being concerned with McIntyre's ability to turn a losing team around, especially considering his reputation for poor man management, along with his tendency to play players out of position and his failure to get an improvement out of underperforming Ross County teams without a January overhaul, with yet another poor summer window ultimately leading to their relegation last season.

However, if you're really saying that a manager who took Ross County into the top six and won a trophy with them, winning the Championship and making the playoffs in previous jobs is a worse option than Jocky Scott (failed to win the Championship in his last spell with Dundee before being a shambles in his last job), Jim Duffy (relegated in his last spell with Dundee, failed to make the playoffs in two out of three Championship seasons in his last job - McIntyre has never failed to finish in the top four in a full season in that division) or Archie Knox (hasn't managed a club in 32 years) you're at it.

I know this is hard for you to take, but being a Dundee legend doesn't actually mean someone will succeed as Dundee manager.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Ooft.

That's a nonsense statement. There is literally no way you can quantify that. Don't get me wrong though, I hope you turn out to be right. 

Btw, I'm hearing Dodds ain't happening but having said that I had also heard McIntyre was a non-starter due to wanting to bring Dodds. 

Emailing Nelms direct is a great idea btw. A shit ton of emails with BILLY FUCKING DODDS as the subject should catch his eye. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

You should check his actual record. I'm fairly certain he was absolutely dreadful for County every season until the January window, where he was allowed to spend an absolute fortune building a new squad.

The fact it became a running joke should tell you how it common it was.

You could pick any managers record to bits like that - in terms of when they pick up points - but the reality is that it's the end of the season that matters the most and finishing 6th, 7th and winning a cup would be a significant step forward for any club in the bottom half of the table like Dundee. If he can mimic his overall record at County this season it would put Dundee on roughly 40-42  points, which any of us would bite your hand off right now. 

I don't, for a second, think he's the perfect appointment - particularly given the Dodds debacle - but getting someone in who has delivered results in this league, even until the end of the season, is a better option than McCann had become. That's coming from someone who had supported him fairly strongly through a lot of the criticism at the start of the season and last. 

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Jocky Scott hasn't managed for seven years, his last job being with Stirling Albion. He was sacked after seven defeats in a row left them bottom of League One in December - he'd taken them over in January in the Championship.

Discounting brief spells as caretaker and one year as Scotland under-21 manager, Archie Knox hasn't managed since he left Dundee in 1986. In your current position that would be a Tommy Craig level of insane appointment.

Jim Duffy somewhat rebuilt his reputation with Morton after sliding from managing in the top flight to finishing bottom of the fourth tier in the space of six years through being crap in three successive jobs - relegating Dundee in one of them - but ultimately lived off one excellent six month spell in four seasons and was in the end deservedly sacked for overseeing a complete collapse as he couldn't resist tinkering with a winning team.

I fully appreciate being concerned with McIntyre's ability to turn a losing team around, especially considering his reputation for poor man management, along with his tendency to play players out of position and his failure to get an improvement out of underperforming Ross County teams without a January overhaul, with yet another poor summer window ultimately leading to their relegation last season.

However, if you're really saying that a manager who took Ross County into the top six and won a trophy with them, winning the Championship and making the playoffs in previous jobs is a worse option than Jocky Scott (failed to win the Championship in his last spell with Dundee before being a shambles in his last job), Jim Duffy (relegated in his last spell with Dundee, failed to make the playoffs in two out of three Championship seasons in his last job - McIntyre has never failed to finish in the top four in a full season in that division) or Archie Knox (hasn't managed a club in 32 years) you're at it.

I know this is hard for you to take, but being a Dundee legend doesn't actually mean someone will succeed as Dundee manager.

If you're just going to pick out the negative point of Duffy's Dundee managerial career to suit your agenda, I'll put a different spin on it to blow it out the water. 

He twice led us to cup finals at Hampden, ultimately losing to Aberdeen and Rangers. He took us into Europe. He avoided relegation after the squad was decimated due to administration. He was sacked while top of the 2nd tier. 

He wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list of candidates but let's not pretend McIntyre has proven himself to be a far better manager so far.