All things Dundee FC

52 minutes ago, The Master said:

OK, so we beat Hamilton. Then what? Go on another 7-game losing run after which he gets "one more game"? 

Here's hoping. 

McGowans interview in the paper is far more interesting. Lots of swearing and saying the whole team, including himself, are weak and gutless. He also says something along the lines of "who'd want to be a manager when you get the blame for your players being gutless and lose your job based on their performances". 

As for McCann, I thought it was fairly clear after there being no knee jerk reaction at the weekend that he was going nowhere. 

51 minutes ago, The Master said:

And this "false position" bullshit can get in the sea.

We're where we are because we can't score goals and can't stop conceding them - two fairly important parts of the game of football. 

He's cherry-picking with his "whole body of work" position too as he's conveniently overlooking getting utterly bodied out the League Cup by Ayr and pumped by Dunfermline.

Should have got a win/draw against St. Mirren? Should have got something from St. Johnstone and Aberdeen? It's all a bit "if your aunt had baws, she'd be your uncle...".

If he's inviting a critique of McCann's "whole body of work" surely that means an appraisal of his 63 games in charge not just a handful of league games this season that Nelms and McCann think they've been a bit unlucky not to take something from.

"St Johnstone, we had an offside trap that broke down."

I mean, what the actual f**k is going on here??!! This is the guy who is tasked with making the major decisions about our club and he's trying to explain one of the many shambolic defeats as being down to a poor offside trap. I don't think I've ever heard anything so pathetic from someone in his position.

Nelms can get himself to f**k with comments like that. We're a basketcase at the moment and absolutely deserve to have 0 points. I'd be angry enough just with a short statement confirming he'd still be here on Saturday, but that's trying to downplay things by claiming they're not as bad as they and everybody else knows they are. It's totally rubbished by everything McGowan's claimed in his bit in the Daily Record.

As for keeping him in his position it's way beyond the joke now and if we somehow manage to get a positive result on Saturday, it'll be in spite of his crap management instead of because of it. We'll get relegated with him in charge and the longer the board hold out the more culpable they're becoming.

^^^ Seething.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

He's cherry-picking with his "whole body of work" position too as he's conveniently overlooking getting utterly bodied out the League Cup by Ayr and pumped by Dunfermline.

Should have got a win/draw against St. Mirren? Should have got something from St. Johnstone and Aberdeen? It's all a bit "if your aunt had baws, she'd be your uncle...".

If he's inviting a critique of McCann's "whole body of work" surely that means an appraisal of his 63 games in charge not just a handful of league games this season that Nelms and McCann think they've been a bit unlucky not to take something from.

This 'unlucky' thing has been existent through McCann's tenure.

There are plenty of games where we have genuinely played quite well and not taken points. I think when it becomes over that many games, it starts to seem that maybe something isn't quite right and he's incapable of drilling a consistent defensive performance to at least put points on the board.

Hartley's teams were very poor defensively and lacked any sort of protection but McCann has somehow managed to sign many defenders and a couple of defensive midfielders with a better pedigree and make the issue far far worse.

Nelms talks about this from a business point of view rather than the blatant football results stand point it needs to be seen from.  It's along the lines of 'our shoe sales have dipped and our clothes range haven't proved popular but our grocery sales have held up'.  Aye ok, but we are losing game after game mate and playing some real crap at times with a squad with glaring issues from back line to forward.

2 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

McGowans interview in the paper is far more interesting. Lots of swearing and saying the whole team, including himself, are weak and gutless. He also says something along the lines of "who'd want to be a manager when you get the blame for your players being gutless and lose your job based on their performances". 

As for McCann, I thought it was fairly clear after there being no knee jerk reaction at the weekend that he was going nowhere. 

Without naming McCann I don’t think Gowser missed him out either with the comment about the playing style. 

Gowser’s spot on with his assessment imo. 

39 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Hartley's teams were very poor defensively and lacked any sort of protection but McCann has somehow managed to sign many defenders and a couple of defensive midfielders with a better pedigree and make the issue far far worse.

McCann’s defensive tactics at best are bizarre. There’s no doubling up on attackers/wingers. None of the fullbacks are immediately on top of the player they’re marking,  the wingers get until near our box before they’re closed down. Beat 1 man and the other team are usually in. As for right midfield this area has just been totally abandoned in attack and defence. It’s an absolute shambles. 

Any team playing 4-4-2 against us with 2 wingers stretching the game and we’re fucked simply because the right handside is abandoned  and we are so slow at getting the ball forward when in the other teams half that they can just sit in and let us pass it side to side and back again. The St Johnstone game was a prime example of this. 60 odd percent possession in that game and we did f**k all with it. St Johnstone created all the chances with about a 3rd of the possession by just getting the ball wide and getting a free run at the fullbacks. 

We either have to play 3-5-2 or set up properly as a 4-4-2 or we are fucked. 

6 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

The St Johnstone game was a prime example of this. 60 odd percent possession in that game and we did f**k all with it. St Johnstone created all the chances with about a 3rd of the possession by just getting the ball wide and getting a free run at the fullbacks. 

That's what we do and have done for years, let every team have as much possession  as they like but only decent sides come up with the end product.

Dundee aren't decent.

4 hours ago, Crawford said:

Those articles are all the proof you need they want us in the same division as united to try and merge the teams. Why else does the United consortium keep holding off? They are also in the states.

Fucking honking of skullduggery.

Wouldn’t say proof, however, I do feel a growing paranoia that these men are businessman and they may believe a merge would be best be able to happen should both clubs in the championship.

I do find it utterly perplexing that a man with a horrific managerial record statistically at the club, who has the club bottom of the table and currently one of the worst teams in top flight football in the world according to league tables and has lost the fans can still get backed.

Either sheer misplaced loyalty/lack of knowledge of the game, which it may very well be or they see a long term business opportunity. I’m sure it will be the first one, I’m naturally suspicious of any owners given the clubs history. 

21 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

That's what we do and have done for years, let every team have as much possession  as they like but only decent sides come up with the end product.

Dundee aren't decent.

Let’s not kid ourselves on that St Johnstone are decent either. 

I don't actually know what McCann thinks the tippy tapping passing game with zero tempo is going to achieve. It just allows teams to pack the defence, get organised and other than a wonder goal or a mistake, you're unlikely to get many decent chances to score. It doesn't have to be hoof ball all the time, but surely there's a balance to strike. I remember St Mirren under Danny Lennon used to play the same way and I found it boring to watch then and still do now as it's just possession for possession's sake. If Dundee played with a bit more pace and got the ball forward more quickly they'd be much better for it and the squad on paper looks capable enough to do it.

That's 8 games against teams in the top two tiers this season. Two goals scored (one of which was a header from a corner, the other a cracking strike from distance after feeding off the scraps from a long ball) and 16 conceded. Averaging a goal every 4 matches and conceding 2 a game doesn't suggest the team are in a false position and the sooner the Dundee board wake up to that fact, the better chance the team will have of climbing the table. You certainly look stronger on paper than the current St Mirren squad anyway.