All things Dundee FC

Going over the squad, would a different manager do better with the current bunch?  You've got a bunch of journeyman jobbers (Moussa and Madianga coming from the Bulgarian second tier of all places), a guy from Kidderminster Harriers, Genseric (what a name) Kusunga from Portugal, and some other dross that came in over the last two seasons. Surely firing and hiring managers would be a waste of money at this point?

6 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Going over the squad, would a different manager do better with the current bunch?  You've got a bunch of journeyman jobbers (Moussa and Madianga coming from the Bulgarian second tier of all places), a guy from Kidderminster Harriers, Genseric (what a name) Kusunga from Portugal, and some other dross that came in over the last two seasons. Surely firing and hiring managers would be a waste of money at this point?

Even if you put the horrendous start to the season aside, McCann's relationship with the players and overall lack of experience is contentious enough to make me believe getting somebody else in with more experience would be an overall improvement. And player-wise, I don't think it's that terrible.  Sure, there are some Moussa-shaped issues in there, but with the right vision I feel something far better can be created with this group than what McCann is doing.

They are from different levels etc but I don't think the squad is that bad tbh. Just going by instinct, I think we could theoretically be OK. Hartley left us with fairly little (but still a few players who were dependable) and I think we've got more than we had in terms could of quality players now.

Elton from Kidderminster actually has a bit of flair about him and the strike partnership that played at Ibrox (Miller and Kallman) could do OK I think. Kusunga is also nowhere near as bad as being made out and just had a couple of poor games recently in a team that has been chaotic.

When you see that we signed a player like Caulker and our defensive record was still pretty shit, I think management is a big big problem. It's also quite worrying that the manager decides to bring in our slowest defender (O'Dea) to play for the first time this season at Ibrox of all places when he hasn't even played a reserve game recently, that's the sort of shit McCann seems capable of coming up with.

It's no guarantee and we've no divine right to finish above any of our opponents but I think we've got a much better chance of staying up if we bring in someone like McIntyre, Neilson etc.

I do sympathise a bit with McCann and think he's got a difficult job because of the amount of turnover in the summer (with the types of players arriving not being familiar with this league unlike our previous recruitment drives) but that doesn't change the situation we're in and it was anticipated well before it happened.

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

As much as I’d love him back, I think he’s earned his rest from the dugout. Isn’t he 70?

I heard a rumour that he got pished at a wedding last month and was offering square goes. He needs football IMO.

26 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Madianga looks like he can be an able replacement for Kamara with a bit of consistency - and he has an attacking bite.

Elton - From Kidderminster looks like he can go hiding, but again looks a promising player.

And Kusunga - As bombscare-y as he can be, absolutely strolls through some games and with a defensive focused manager he could be really good. I mean Steven Caulker looked a liability at times under McCann's management so I'm not writing off any of our CH's despite the abysmal showings at times.

There's a good few players you can single out such as Moussa but I don't think Madianga or Elton can be two at this moment in time.

An attacking coach such as Duffy would see them flourish. A defensive minded manager such as Jocky would see Kusunga potentially become a rock.

And yes, that is the yardstick I use - two managers that'd probably generate laughs from elsewhere on this forum, but could unite most Dees and be an immeasurable improvement on McCann.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Madianga looks like he can be an able replacement for Kamara with a bit of consistency - and he has an attacking bite.

Elton - From Kidderminster looks like he can go hiding, but again looks a promising player.

And Kusunga - As bombscare-y as he can be, absolutely strolls through some games and with a defensive focused manager he could be really good. I mean Steven Caulker looked a liability at times under McCann's management so I'm not writing off any of our CH's despite the abysmal showings at times.

There's a good few players you can single out such as Moussa but I don't think Madianga or Elton can be two at this moment in time.

An attacking coach such as Duffy would see them flourish. A defensive minded manager such as Jocky would see Kusunga potentially become a rock.

And yes, that is the yardstick I use - two managers that'd probably generate laughs from elsewhere on this forum, but could unite most Dees and be an immeasurable improvement on McCann.

Just don't get the Duffy/Jocky shite you continually post. Jocky had one good season, Jocky also fucked off to Aberdeen the first chance he got. Duffy it's safe to assume, was an abject failure as a football  manager.

32 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Just don't get the Duffy/Jocky shite you continually post. Jocky had one good season, Jocky also fucked off to Aberdeen the first chance he got. Duffy it's safe to assume, was an abject failure as a football  manager.

That's fucking nonsense. Stick to posting pictures of your cat.

People aren’t genuinely suggesting Jocky Scott for manager are they?  Are we genuinely saying that we should bring someone who is 70 years of age out of retirement having last managed a team 7 years ago?

Has a Premiership club done anything like that with any success in the past? 

The last time we tried something new with the appointment of a manager we discovered some ex players become pundits rather than a manager for a reason.

I defo don’t want to fall out with Ludo but I have to say I agree.

There’s got to be someone good out there but I’ve no faith in our board to find them.

11 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

People aren’t genuinely suggesting Jocky Scott for manager are they?  Are we genuinely saying that we should bring someone who is 70 years of age out of retirement having last managed a team 7 years ago?

Has a Premiership club done anything like that with any success in the past? 

The last time we tried something new with the appointment of a manager we discovered some ex players become pundits rather than a manager for a reason.

Motherwell and Craig Brown spring to mind, can't remember his age or how long he'd been "out the game" when they hired him though. Think he steadied them. 

He was 69 and hadnt been a manager in five years. 

Edited by RandomGuy.