All things Dundee FC

6 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Both McCormack and Brown got sacked while sitting top of the table .
Hartley got sacked for having 1 very bad season :-(

We were 2nd under Brown and he resigned despite Scot Gardiner trying to persuade him to stay as he didn't believe he'd get us up.

Jocky for McCormack turned out to be one of the very few good decisions the Marr's made as well.

Hartley, as much as he's probably been Dundee's best manager in the best part of 20 years only Barry Smith saving the club and Jocky's 2nd spell come close, absolutely deserved the bullet as he was taking us down.

16 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

...I want McCann to do well but I think he has zero man management skills.

This 100%.  I’m sure some of these players a right arseholes but it’s the the Managers job to manage them - the clue’s in the f***ing job title. He needs to show a range of responses/approaches to dealing with problems,  but he seems to be a one-trick-pony where that’s concerned. 

20 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

Read elsewhere that him and McCann had words on Saturday...if true that will be another of our better players benched then out the door...I want McCann to do well but I think he has zero man management skills.

This is one of the big problems with Mccann, falling out with too many players.  Costing us points and money, fell out with Haber, Haber replaced by Moussa, El Bakhtaoui replaced with Mendy.  Gadz away, hardly featured last season played with under 21s, decent squad player no idea whats happened there.  Scott Allan wanted away etc Holt or Spanish Jon could have been kept on also.  Grim stuff indeed.

Aye,have words your not playing ...there must be a reason why he's got our best defender sitting on his arse every week,signs point to a fallout, McCann should realise they ain't his fucking players they're Dundee FC players and if fit get them fucking playing regardless of personal issues 

It gets to the point where you start thinking that it’s not the managers that are holding us back. Is there something to do with the club/support that is holding us back? Maybe the move from Dens will do us the world of good. New atmosphere, hopefully an early increase in attendance levels and a positive backing from the fans.

2 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

It gets to the point where you start thinking that it’s not the managers that are holding us back. Is there something to do with the club/support that is holding us back? Maybe the move from Dens will do us the world of good. New atmosphere, hopefully an early increase in attendance levels and a positive backing from the fans.

Nah i definitely think it's the manager this time!

To an extent, IMO, there’s something in Dens/home support argument.

The constantly negative atmosphere at Dens doesn’t exactly make for a supportive encouraging atmosphere to play football in. I said a couple of times last year it seemed clear the players preferred playing away from home.

It can’t be much fun when you know a single misplaced pass or dodgy clearance, no matter what stage of the game, is going to be met with massive groans and abuse - they don’t get that away from home. This, again IMO, almost certainly affects some players.

Granted the performances haven’t exactly given fans much to shout about but, IMO, the two go hand in hand to a certain extent.

3 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

To an extent, IMO, there’s something in Dens/home support argument.

The constantly negative atmosphere at Dens doesn’t exactly make for a supportive encouraging atmosphere to play football in. I said a couple of times last year it seemed clear the players preferred playing away from home.

It can’t be much fun when you know a single misplaced pass or dodgy clearance, no matter what stage of the game, is going to be met with massive groans and abuse - they don’t get that away from home. This, again IMO, almost certainly affects some players.

Granted the performances haven’t exactly given fans much to shout about but, IMO, the two go hand in hand to a certain extent.

My young lad sits in row e in the Derry and there is a squad o older fans who from 3pm-445pm do nothing but throw abuse and negative shit at the players....it's beginning to really piss him off 

The most important person at a club is the guy who picks the managers. If you pick a good one he’s going to get poached, so you need to be able to pick another one. We must have had shite guys picking managers for 50 years!

1 hour ago, Meeniedee said:

Read elsewhere that him and McCann had words on Saturday...if true that will be another of our better players benched then out the door...I want McCann to do well but I think he has zero man management skills.

Said before kick off yesterday that only bad things happen when we don't play Gowser. No one out there taking responsibility and getting everyone to do their job. Shouldn't be needed but some of the performances / attitudes would have had Gowser raging (CW33 and Mendy being prime examples). We needed a leader on the park and we didn't have one - ultimately that is what cost us. If Gowser is not back in immediately then McCann has no way of saving his skin. Probably a price worth paying to be rid 

12 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Someone wrote on the other forum that McGowan didn't play because he could break his curfew if the game went to extra time and penalties.

Embarrassing but it makes sense I guess.

Maybe but equally could have just subbied him with 10 mins to go.

10 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Someone wrote on the other forum that McGowan didn't play because he could break his curfew if the game went to extra time and penalties.

Embarrassing but it makes sense I guess.

Not sure that’s the reason.  He could have played the 90 and been subbed if it went to extra time.  

Too many stories about fall outs for my liking.

If you’re going to go off on one at a fans Q&A session there is every likelihood you’ll lose the plot when the pressure is on.

McGowan isn't the player he once was for us, but he's integral to our team. Forget the captaincy, forget the fact he's a wee ned, forget the fact he gives off the image that he's an angrier man than McCann, he's the leader on the pitch. He carries us through.

Every team needs a McGowan. Not necessarily an angry wee man, we've had completely different styles of leaders in Rab, Barry Smith and Eric Paton to name but a few in the past decade or so. Right now, McGowan is that man and regardless of his performances, he's integral to our squad.

Just now, Shadow Play said:

Not sure that’s the reason.  He could have played the 90 and been subbed if it went to extra time.  

Too many stories about fall outs for my liking.

If you’re going to go off on one at a fans Q&A session there is every likelihood you’ll lose the plot when the pressure is on.

I reckon the whole fall out shtick with McGowan is coming from the reputation that McCann has of falling out with players and that McGowan wasn't in the squad. I don't think there's anything actually in it, I think people are putting 2 and 2 together and rumours are spreading like wildfire. I'd be surprised if he's not in the team next week.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I reckon the whole fall out shtick with McGowan is coming from the reputation that McCann has of falling out with players and that McGowan wasn't in the squad. I don't think there's anything actually in it, I think people are putting 2 and 2 together and rumours are spreading like wildfire. I'd be surprised if he's not in the team next week.

Hope your right Ludo.  Probably nothing in it.  That’s the trouble with using tombola for your starting 11.

McGowan isn't the player he once was for us, but he's integral to our team. Forget the captaincy, forget the fact he's a wee ned, forget the fact he gives off the image that he's an angrier man than McCann, he's the leader on the pitch. He carries us through.

Every team needs a McGowan. Not necessarily an angry wee man, we've had completely different styles of leaders in Rab, Barry Smith and Eric Paton to name but a few in the past decade or so. Right now, McGowan is that man and regardless of his performances, he's integral to our squad.

eric paton was a great servant to dundee and got so much unwarranted abuse. season 09/10 he played injured for months because he was needed. at the challenge cup final there was a group next to me frothing at the mouth everytime he got on the ball and he was clearly limping along! the boy always knovked his pan in!

i may be well off the mark here but fid he not surrender the captaincy because of the pressure from the stands?

ETA completely agree with regards to every side needs a gowser ludo. i havent seen a game this season but last year that was evident