All things Dundee FC

thank f**k i was too ill to make it today. reading the updates of our matches is drepressing enough.

it would seem curran played well today? can anyone who made the game name any other positives? there must be at least one other positive!?
We only got beat by 3 was a positive.

47 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

I've had time to reflect on the game and I'm not as much of a seething mess as I was a couple of hours ago, but my feelings regarding McCann haven't changed. 

It's hard to dislike the guy because he talks such a good game, but we're a poor team and pretty much always have been since he's taken charge.

The way he wants to play football is admirable but he's not got the abilities to successfully pull it off and it's a struggle to think of occasions where his in-game management has turned a game in our favour. We were absolutely clueless today and so was he.

I don't think we're at any point ever going to be rooted at the bottom of the table, but we're always going to be mediocre as f**k and battling relegation when he's in charge. Crowds are going to dwindle at home because people are bored out of their skulls watching us playing horrendous football where we look devoid of any idea or gameplan. I know there's no chance I won't, but I was sitting watching that today thinking that I couldn't be fucked to go through to Perth and have my 4th Saturday in a row being shat on and getting wound up by the manner which we lost. If that's from someone who spends most of their time on their phone reading a Scottish football forum about Dundee and will pretty much buy a season ticket in spite of whatever shite's on the park, then there's absolutely no chance that fans who don't attend as much are going to get converted into regulars. It's demoralising as f**k and that's before you even go into the fact that we've been knocked out of what's 1 of 2 chances a year to get some real excitement around the place and actually allow ourselves to dream that we might not once embarrass ourselves in cup competitions. 

It basically comes down to whether or not another manager could get us playing better and picking up more points and IMO there's no doubt about it whatsoever so it's an easy decision. Cheers Neil, you're a likeable guy and will always be welcome here but you're never a football manager. 

Robbie Neilson or David Hopkin please.

You’ve pretty much described what I’m like regards season tickets, going to away games, following Dundee news. I know we’re in trouble when I’m on my phone during games checking results knowing our possession is going nowhere with zero width in the team. Actually missed the build up to the 1st goal because of being on the phone. Not many seasons go by without us being the shock exit of the round. 

I’m struggling to think of a worse result in a cup competition in the last 30 years than that f**k up today. Ayr Utd at home FFS. 

30 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

thank f**k i was too ill to make it today. reading the updates of our matches is drepressing enough.

it would seem curran played well today? can anyone who made the game name any other positives? there must be at least one other positive!?

Curran didn't even play that well. He wasn't bad by any means, but he misplaced a few passes in the final third in the second half which basically killed off any real pressure. 

We're just so poor at creating chances that a RB looks like our best attacking outlet, which says a lot for how we play.

Edited by Louis Litt

29 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

Curran was probably our best player but put a few crosses behind the goal and gave possession away around the Ayr box a few times as well. Does that put into context how shite we were?

Ralph done ‘alright’ nothing special. Kamara returned from injury. That’s your lot regards anything that’s remotely positive.

Anyone any ideas why we never threw a defender up front when we were 1 nil and a man down?

42 minutes ago, Dark Blue Dick said:

These performances are killing our club, at a time when we should be capitalising on our position as the top team in the city, and building and strengthening the fan base. 

This is bang on.

This is the problem constant shite results will have in the bigger picture.

Took my 10 year old son today who is football mad, one nil down, down to ten men and he is asking to leave with about 20 mins to go. He looked more gutted with Moussa coming on than he did getting sent off.

Dundee is itself the up and coming city in the country and with that it will bring more people to the city. Along with a new stadium and facilities we should be attracting more fans as we have such an opportunity here. However playing this poorly at such a price is never going to draw more in.

7 hours ago, MarbellaDEE said:

I don’t know how much longer I can tolerate supporting Dundee, I appreciate that while at 29 years old I’ve suffered less than most, however it’s becoming a mental health issue. Every little glimmer of hope is consistently garnished with the crushing pain of disappointment, hours or days later. Still could be worse, could be an Arab. 

I've watched Ayr for 50 years, felt like giving up plenty of times due to the abject shite we've been served up on a fairly regular basis, at the moment I'm happily paying to watch Shankland in action, take his goals away and I'd still want to watch him, your number 5 looked after him quite well today and he still managed 2(should have been 3), add in all the other fine performances we're getting from our squad and it's a joy going to watch us at the moment, if it was great all the time I probably wouldn't appreciate what I'm watching most weeks.

Surprisingly after watching that game today, I don't think Dundee are that many players away from being a decent team, reminded me a bit of us over the previous 2 seasons where we were far more ponderous than I thought we should have been, belief and passing and moving at pace wrecks the shape of defences and usually leads to forwards finding spaces in the box that normally aren't there..

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

I've watched Ayr for 50 years, felt like giving up plenty of times due to the abject shite we've been served up on a fairly regular basis, at the moment I'm happily paying to watch Shankland in action, take his goals away and I'd still want to watch him, your number 5 looked after him quite well today and he still managed 2(should have been 3), add in all the other fine performances we're getting from our squad and it's a joy going to watch us at the moment, if it was great all the time I probably wouldn't appreciate what I'm watching most weeks.

Surprisingly after watching that game today, I don't think Dundee are that many players away from being a decent team, reminded me a bit of us over the previous 2 seasons where we were far more ponderous than I thought we should have been, belief and passing and moving at pace wrecks the shape of defences and usually leads to forwards finding spaces in the box that normally aren't there..

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I know Dee fans and other football fans alike ridicule me for looking to the past with the likes of Duffy and Jocky, but I'd rather stick with what we have than have any of Neilson, Hughes or Hopkin. Oft. 

That said, our board like to go left field so hopefully they would again.

You would rather have a TV pundit who's shown no indication of being a real manager than the guy who pissed the Championship by 20+ points ahead of Rangers & Hibs then waltzed into third in the top flight with Hearts, or the manager who took Livingston to second place in the Championship and promotion with the 8th biggest budget in that league? Why?

You would rather have a TV pundit who's shown no indication of being a real manager than the guy who pissed the Championship by 20+ points ahead of Rangers & Hibs then waltzed into third in the top flight with Hearts, or the manager who took Livingston to second place in the Championship and promotion with the 8th biggest budget in that league? Why?
I'd take any of those (Hughes apart) in a fucking heartbeat.

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Signs young players/plays football the right way/has passion. 

Delete as applicable depending on the Dundee fan. 

The Dundee board are never quick to act or do knee jerk reactions.

It will be a while before we see any movement. Now although I didn't appreciate McCann s appointment, I did like the fact we didn't just grab someone else's reject.

There is bound to be a decent manager somewhere in the lower leagues who is grinding out the results with a bad team that we could poach.

We have the players but they are just being used all wrong. Many people point to passion as a defence but Cammy bleeds the dark blue stuff but no amount of it is going to make him a LB and the same can be said for McCann being a manager.

He has had a whole season and 10 or so other games to get sorted but he never seems to learn from our defeats. 

I commend Dundee for trying something different but it just hasn't worked. My fear is we play St Johnstone and win it will all be forgiven or if we lose a reliable source of three points and need them later.

Rather than bleeting on I'll leave it there and say I would like to see someone new in again that hasn't managed this level or even in Scotland.

What do we do now that we have lost our top striker to a match ban?

The competence of the .manager has to be questioned that he can put these guys up front. Attrocious. 

I never understood all the stuff about McGinn at Parkhead as they clearly need to sort out their back 4 not midfield.  Similarly we pissed money on a keeper blowing vital funds for a proper strike force. The manager has gotten this horribly wrong.

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I can't speak for anyone but this idea of "pretty"football or non direct football is a joke. 

You can have possession and make a 30 pass attack end with nothing or be direct or 'hoof it' and gain ground and maybe score.

You need goals to get 3 points. Not 'pretty' passing. Neilson, Hopkin and Hughes can appreciate that because that's exactly what their game plan has always been.

I'd Neilson in a heartbeat if he was willing.

Horrible result yesterday and McCann teetering on the edge of the sack now. The crowd turned on him yesterday and the players looked like they didn't care. Bad sign. On the plus side that's surely the end of Moussas Dundee career now?  Getting sent off looked entirely deliberate as a way of sticking two fingers up to the fans and to McCann for signing a replacement striker. Hopefully his contract will be torn up for that. Total arsehole.