All things Dundee FC

15 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

How many unplaced passes did he make?

So how many goals should Moussa be scoring for us ? You are doing a lot of homework on Moussa. Mine is a lot less but factual also

He scored 1 goal from open play last season.
He has so far missed a penalty and on 0 goals.
They are the simple facts but surely the most important facts?

As I've explicitly stated in the last 2 posts, it's not supposed to be a post about Moussa but the way we create chances as a team. 

Edited to add: If you want to go and tot up his "unplaced passes" - please be my guest, but I can't be bothered watching the full 90mins.

Edited by DigOutYourSoul

7 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

How many unplaced passes did he make?

So how many goals should Moussa be scoring for us ? You are doing a lot of homework on Moussa. Mine is a lot less but factual also

He scored 1 goal from open play last season.
He has so far missed a penalty and on 0 goals.
They are the simple facts but surely the most important facts?

He scored 3 goals from open play, 1 against Hearts and 2 against St. Johnstone. I'm not sticking up for him and I don't think he's good enough to be our main striker, but it is noticeable that pretty much all of our attacking play relies on having a target man. Any time we've played without one we've struggled even more because we don't have an out ball. I'm not sure Mendy has the build or presence to play that role but generally, at least before Saturday, Moussa's hold up play has been ok (it was good last season). I honestly think the penalty miss has really affected his confidence which is probably why he was a little bit slack with his passing at the weekend. His two chances were hardly sitters either, I think they've been exaggerated because it was Moussa the chances fell to. Meekings and Mendy's chances were much better chances IMO. He should probably have taken a touch with the first one, and played it across goal for the second one. Mendy missed a bigger sitter last week too (two if you count the one where Samson made a decent save). I don't have the stats but I would imagine Mendy has missed more expected goals (the xG stat gives you a better indication of how good a chance it actually was) than Moussa.  

4 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
6 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:
As I've explicitly stated in the last 2 posts, it's not supposed to be a post about Moussa but the way we create chances as a team. 

1 simple question. How many goals do you expect Moussa to score this season as our main striker ?

to be perfectly honest, I don't actually care - as long as results come along. 

Celtic won the league at a canter last year with their top scorer finishing on 10 league goals.

If he scored between 7 and 10 goals I wouldn't be upset. If nobody else in the team is scoring, then it's obviously an issue.

2 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

For the record I don't think anyone is sticking up for Mendy either. However we have a had full season of Moussa and he was shite. I'm not expecting any different just like the majority of the support.
Will he score over 10 goals? 5 maybe ?

McCann has shown his hand and it's quite clear after he scored that hatrick against cowdenbeath Moussa was gonna be our goal machine
This just hasn't happened. McCann is keeping faith in him. That miss against Aberdeen where he had silly amount of time to stop the ball then hit it was woeful.
The strike force we have is very poor. Moussa we gave a whole season.
Mendy I won't write off just yet.

If he gets between 5 and 10, I'd be happy tbh. Only 5 players scored more than 10 league goals last season. Again, I'm not sticking up for Moussa, I just don't think we can drop him until we have a suitable alternative who can play the target man role (we did have Haber, who we should have kept IMO). 

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

I agree regarding all the team scoring. Celtic know however they have goalscorers in attack with Griffiths Eduaord (sp) and Dembele.

However after a season with Moussa I'm expecting a huge improvement on last season. Afterall McCann has our vision higher up in the league.

If Moussa scored between 7-10 goals in the league this season i would be shocked.
Feel bad even thinking that but just can't see it happening :-(

He managed it last season so keep the faith, penalties count - just ask Mr Golden Boot, Harry Kane. 

Can't be bothered to post again about Moussa as it wasn't the intention of the original post. 

Just a point on Moussa, I'd be more than happy for him to fluff his lines and be unable to finish his tea as long as he was setting up others. He's good at holding the ball up but his link up play is average at best. This combined with the footballing brain of a 5 year old child means it needs addressed.

Word on the pavey is that Keyes is investing that £2million into a new subsidiary of FPS called “Dens Derry Robotics” after he watched a programme about an astronaut who was severely injured and had his body parts replaced with machines that gave him accelerated speed and strength. It’s hoped that his investment can turn Moussa into a footballer known as the “the two million pound man”

27 minutes ago, K.T said:

Word on the pavey is that Keyes is investing that £2million into a new subsidiary of FPS called “Dens Derry Robotics” after he watched a programme about an astronaut who was severely injured and had his body parts replaced with machines that gave him accelerated speed and strength. It’s hoped that his investment can turn Moussa into a footballer known as the “the two million pound man”

We can rebuild him, we have the technology.....but I don't want to spend too much.

31 minutes ago, K.T said:

Densnet,

The Ter-Moussator,

They must be arranging this guy to time travel before we face oblivion; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Conner_(footballer)

47 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

How has young Matty looked in the first team? Is he the answer to your problems or does he need a year or 2 on loan?

He still has a bit to learn but unlike Moussa he is good enough to improve and he knows where the goal is.

7 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

I'm not so much quoting you here, but the original post you replied to. 

While I fully agree that we need more firepower upfront, to suggest that 451 with Mendy up front on his own would suit our play better is wrong, IMO. 

I've just gone through the highlights on Dee TV from the Aberdeen game and below is an analysis of 7 of the 9 "chances" shown on the highlights:

·         10mins Madinaga shot came from 2 direct balls into Moussas feet and lay off.

·         19mins attacking free kick won from direct ball to Moussa by Hamilton, eventually leads to Moussa’s big chance.

·         24mins Spence shot comes from Direct ball into Moussa, hold up and lay off.

·         36mins Madinaga shot comes from direct ball into Moussa from Kasunga - albeit the chance comes because of a poor second touch.

·         51 mins Moussa second chance, where he should square rather than shoot, comes from a headed ball into his chest, lay off and 1-2 with Nabi

·         56mins Mendy Chance comes from 1-2 lay off between Moussa and Mendy

·         80mins Nabi chance comes from ball into Moussa feet and layoff to Curran.

The two "chances" I've not included here are only excluded because they were set pieces where the original built up was not shown. 

While this post isn't actually an attempt to "defend" Moussa - his first chance was an awful effort. A target man with someone playing off him is integral to the way we are creating chances - and always will be when you're trying to create chances with creative midfielders. I can't be bothered to do the same for the St. Mirren game, but I remember it being very similar in terms of chance creation. 

I think you are missing the point by this analysis. The idea of the 5 man midfield is to create more chances to feet with someone who could move quickly into space and hopefully take these chances. As said, Mendy is just settling in and may well come good - remember Hemmings in his first few games? The midfielders we have really look the part, and as you have clearly highlighted, lumping the ball into a target man isn't leading to goals from Moussa or the midfielders - so why persist?

Jack Hendry doesn't look like the defender we had at Dens, to the point where if he performed the way he performed tonight, he'd be lucky to get a top flight club. What the hell has happened to him?