All things Dundee FC

It's one game in and it's to soon to be worried about the coming season bit one thing is glaringly obvious.

McCann has no idea what he is doing.

I know he's a club hero but the whole of last season was a random 11 at all times.

That was ..... Something different most of us witnessed today. The players he brought in have been just like Hartleys. A mixed bag. Some good some not.

But that's where the similarities end.

He brought in Caulker and the few Ngwatala and Mandianga but I don't rate anyone else THUS FAR.

As I said it's early but I really don't have much confidence in McCann at all. He's got the gift of the gab and club history which is how he got this job really but  I'm not seeing him develop as a manager.

Rich coming from me seeing as I couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery but this isn't amateur hour. It's premiership football.

*Brace position adopted*

36 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

I'm trying not to be negative as f**k but the majority of the issues with our team are so glaringly obvious that it makes me want to bash my head off a wall. Every pundit and his dog said that last season our problem was that we didn't score enough goals. 

This is it in a nutshell for me. This is the 3rd season we’ve went into needing a goalscoring striker and a winger. Everyone can see it yet the same problems still exist. Not too worried about the left back just now but how many times do we lose goals to a fullback being outjumped at the back post, yet another regular problem. 

About time we started signing guys who are tried and trusted at this level or the better players from the championship. 

3 minutes ago, Potted hOuGh said:

Pars seemed a MAYBE couple of games ahead in fitness and organisation.

Our backline were never really threatened.

Yeah apart from the 2 glaring misses from Mendy, 1 from Henvey and the 1 off the bar. 

25 minutes ago, The Derry Steps said:

Have to say that was pure banter from McCann

It's one of my biggest worries in regards to his management. That he doesn't address issues which are as clear as day. He said in his interview before the match that he was hoping for 1 or 2 more. 1 or 2 is the bare minimum we need for our frontline. That's before we even look at the deficiencies over the rest of the park.  

I'm worried that he's viewed the signing of Kamara and the season he had as the way to go in terms of signing players who're unknown qualities and have the potential to do well. Of course there's no problem with this but there needs to be a balance between these sort of guys and players who've proven that they're good enough at this level/a similar level. 

32 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

If Moussa's injured for a decent period and Haber's getting punted then we need 2 strikers in. Ideally we'd have 2 anyway but at the very least 1 is essential. 

Another wide player who's capable of actually running down the wing and whipping a cross in would be good too. In Cammy's POTY season he was excellent for this but rarely gets past the half way line unless everyone else is there as well. There was a point in the first half when he was waving his arms in the air to show Meekings(?) that he was free but just played a sideways pass when he eventually got the ball. What's the point? Just run with it and take a man on. 

And if Ralph doesn't prove that today was a one-off horror show then we need another left back in. The amount of times he was bullied off the ball was embarrassing. 

I'm trying not to be negative as f**k but the majority of the issues with our team are so glaringly obvious that it makes me want to bash my head off a wall. Every pundit and his dog said that last season our problem was that we didn't score enough goals. We've lost AJLS, Murray and until a few days ago Haber had been punted to another continent. So far we've replaced 3 strikers (who weren't enough) with 1 striker from the Norweigan leagues and one attacking-ish midfielder from Kidderminster Harriers.

I'd feel more optimistic if we weren't in the exact same position in the January transfer window before we waited until the last day and swapped Scott Allan for Simon Murray, 

Spot on about the strikers.

We seem to back where we were last season with people talking about Moussa being good at holding up the ball.  He is supposed to be a striker.  He will get no more than 5 goals (excluding penalties) in the league.  Simply not good enough at this level.

Henvey was only given a one year contract.  That makes me think McCann is not 100% convinced.

McCann clearly doesn’t rate Haber. 

It’s never a good sign when your striker worries about the keeper clattering him in the box.  Mendy definitely did this with the header 6 yards out. 

I said a week ago that the squad doesn’t look balanced and I saw nothing in that game to change my mind.

To end on a positive - Elton looked very sharp on the ball and looks like he will be our best bet for getting goals from midfield.

2 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Yeah apart from the 2 glaring misses from Mendy, 1 from Henvey and the 1 off the bar. 

Robinson made a couple of relevant saves but again overall we looked far more comfortable then Dundee plus we wanted it more.

You guys had no real shape either.

Enjoyable game.

Mendy should have scored. Wasted 2 great chances. Apart from that you had no goal scoring threat. Your midfield was disjointed as it looked like it didn't know what to do far too often 

2 hours ago, The Derry Steps said:

I'd really like a nippy striker who plays on the shoulder but McCann doesn't seem to want that.

That's what Faiss was for us, on the shoulder running off the centre back, behind the fullback. 

1 hour ago, AlanPartridge said:

We were awful today and Dunfermline deserved the win.

Probably an unpopular opinion but Cammy Kerr is just not up to this level of football, terrible today.

I've not watched much of Dundee being perfectly honest, but skipping in an out of Dundee threads (keeping an eye on Faiss) had built up a big reputation for Cammy Kerr, he was probably one of your worst players today though, had nothing going forward and didn't look great defensively either. 

IMO, not a patch on Ryan Williamson. Thought the right back who came on looked better. 

I've not watched much of Dundee being perfectly honest, but skipping in an out of Dundee threads (keeping an eye on Faiss) had built up a big reputation for Cammy Kerr, he was probably one of your worst players today though, had nothing going forward and didn't look great defensively either. 
IMO, not a patch on Ryan Williamson. Thought the right back who came on looked better. 
id agree with you. curran looked confortable played out his natural position and actually put a few decent balls in to the box. id go with him at rb and try cammy at lb. at least for now anyway.

6 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:
We either bring in a striker in time for Tuesday, or we bring Haber back in from the cold. There is no alternatives.

yeah but i have a fewling NM wont be prepared to swallow his pride though

If he doesn't - Then he's not a capable manager IMO.

If he doesn't - Then he's not a capable manager IMO.
to be fair ludo we dont have a clue what has gone on behind closed doors. for all we know haver is a complete p***k who doesnt apply himself in training and has an attitude etc

The good -

• At least we tried to play, especially in the second half when we reacted to being turgid in the first.
  • Hamilton looked really solid. There was a distinct lack of flapping. Probably because Random Guy isn't coaching him anymore.
  • Thought a couple of the new boys showed they at least wanted to get forward. Wighton was fine too. I quite like him out left.
  • Moussa's six pack.

The bad -

• Everything was happening much too slowly. We need to choose passes quicker and hit them harder.
  • We really need a winger if we're going to play 4-4-2.
  • Good God I hope we don't see Kamara, there was a gaping hole in front of the back two. 

Musings -

• Think the Pars will do well in the Championship.
Edited by The Algebraist