All things Dundee FC

13 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
17 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:
What's the chances of us qualifying? How many second place teams get through?

4. need 2 wins and a lot of goals (haha) and even then it might not be enough

Peterhead away has banana skin all over it.

33 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

madianga and ngwatala took a while to settle but were decent second half. ngwatala in particular impressed me. he reminds me of deacon but with an end product. i didnt think hamilton was that bad but parish should be starting just now.

the less said about ralph the better. he has a 2 year deal! id easily take both dunfermiline fullbacks just now. i think its obvious we should go 3 at the back.

mendy bottled that headed chance.

not going to get worried though as its very early days

The problem with Hamilton for me was that he wasn't in command of his 6 yard box. Letting balls get whipped straight across the box right in front of him are going to get punished. Doing it once could be put down to lapse of concentration but I counted 4 times in the second half where he could've been off his line to take dangerous balls. That's before I mention the shot straight at him that he failed to hold. It's only one game but I wasn't impressed. I think it's the fact that we parted with cash for him that had me expecting more. 

There we go, that should set him up nicely to play a blinder for the rest of the season. 

Edited by Dee Man

3 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

The problem with Hamilton for me was that he wasn't in command of his 6 yard box. Letting balls get whipped straight across the box right in front of him are going to get punished. Doing it once could be put down to lapse of concentration but I counted 4 times in the second half where he could've been off his line to take

dangerous balls. That's before I mention the shot straight at him that he failed to hold. It's only one game but I wasn't impressed. I think it's the fact that we parted with cash for him that had me expecting more. 

There we go, that should set him up nicely to play a blinder for the rest of the season. 

I always thought he was weak as f**k when at Hearts, decent enough at shots from long range but was astonished he was ahead of Clark for the U21s.

Thought McCann had the wrong formation today although it could have been forced due to injuries. That shows the lack of depth to the squad though, which he needs to be addressing fucking pronto.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Seriously toothless up front.

Considering your strikeforce is Moussa and Wighton, who scored a combined seven goals last season, and some random boy signed off the back of a YouTube video, you surely can't be surprised? 

Thought Dundee were absolutely dreadful the 1st half truly woeful. 2nd half had an improvement. Dundee looked like they had been out on the lash last night they were just so off the pace. One game not going to use it as a measuring stick for our season, however the McCann needs to bring in a left back and a forward. A leader as well I thought we lacked leadership today.  Onwards and upwards.

I always thought he was weak as f**k when at Hearts, decent enough at shots from long range but was astonished he was ahead of Clark for the U21s.

while Clark had Alan Mannus to learn from from quite a young age and even before that Alan Main, where as Hamilton had McLaughlin for a season, Alexander for a season and a Young McDonald for a season

Hamilton’s potential at the time was probably bigger but having a consistent teacher is not to be snuffed at eaither

Just now, D TOTAL said:

while Clark had Alan Mannus to learn from from quite a young age and even before that Alan Main, where as Hamilton had McLaughlin for a season, Alexander for a season and a Young McDonald for a season

Hamilton’s potential at the time was probably bigger but having a consistent teacher is not to be snuffed at eaither

Hamiltons had the nickname FlapJack for years now. Its a natural issue with him and one that doesn't seem able to be coached out. 

I'm praying at some point this season some member of coaching staff, another player or even one of his parents teach Cammy how to cross a ball.  There's only so far passion and desire goes.  I don't think he could have done much about the goal today but he is generally suspect at crosses to the back post as well.

Elton looks a decent player, looking forward to him when he's completely up to speed.  

Need to spend a bit of wonga for a good centre forward and a left back.  

Did Cammy not spend 60 minutes playing on the left with his right foot??

We were pish today. Plenty of possession but went nowhere with it. McCann’s tactics were pish as well. The lack of width and no natural wingers make the game very difficult. Wighton’s not a wide player. Big, big season ahead for Craig to establish himself. Has to toughen up and influence the game. 

1 minute ago, The Derry Steps said:

He did.  However his crossing has been shite since Hartley left.  Plus professional footballers should be comfortable crossing with either foot so no excuses for today.

Made this observation today as well. No idea what's happened to him. He's not quite the tireless, tenacious full back he was when he broke through. Has McCann asked him to be more conservative?

Today was gash. I’m not going to base the whole season on one game though.
As a positive I thought Elton John looked decent enough and Curran was positive when he came on.
Negatives; too slow on the ball, no width, lack of a game plan. Not aggressive enough in 50/50’s or quick enough to 2nd balls.
It felt like a pre season game.
I’m hopeful that we’re just starting slow...
Although I’d agree it highlights we need a bit more depth in the squad, particularly at full back. Also a focal point type striker- unless McCann feels like giving Haber another try.

6 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Absolutely.

I'm sure I was getting torn one for being negative last season however we are on game two and the baby rattles are already out.
Yes McCann got it wrong today. We move on to the next game.
I'm excited for the league to start but I suggest we give McCann and the lads a chance. He ain't going anywhere anytime soon so let's back him :-).

Yeah, Dunfermline wanted it more today, we didn't respect them today and we didn't get out of second gear.

We were missing a couple of first team starters today, including last years POTY.

The main disappointment for me today was the lack of effort by 80% of the players today.

Edited by johnnydun

If Moussa's injured for a decent period and Haber's getting punted then we need 2 strikers in. Ideally we'd have 2 anyway but at the very least 1 is essential. 

Another wide player who's capable of actually running down the wing and whipping a cross in would be good too. In Cammy's POTY season he was excellent for this but rarely gets past the half way line unless everyone else is there as well. There was a point in the first half when he was waving his arms in the air to show Meekings(?) that he was free but just played a sideways pass when he eventually got the ball. What's the point? Just run with it and take a man on. 

And if Ralph doesn't prove that today was a one-off horror show then we need another left back in. The amount of times he was bullied off the ball was embarrassing. 

I'm trying not to be negative as f**k but the majority of the issues with our team are so glaringly obvious that it makes me want to bash my head off a wall. Every pundit and his dog said that last season our problem was that we didn't score enough goals. We've lost AJLS, Murray and until a few days ago Haber had been punted to another continent. So far we've replaced 3 strikers (who weren't enough) with 1 striker from the Norweigan leagues and one attacking-ish midfielder from Kidderminster Harriers. 

I'd feel more optimistic if we weren't in the exact same position in the January transfer window before we waited until the last day and swapped Scott Allan for Simon Murray, 

Edited by Louis Litt