All things Dundee FC

Kilmarnock looking to sell 5000 ST's this season, United aiming for 4k in the Championship, St Mirren have sold 4k. Meanwhile, we've stuttered over the 3k mark and hoping for 3.5k which is unlikely if sales are compared to last season.

What's happening?!

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Kilmarnock looking to sell 5000 ST's this season, United aiming for 4k in the Championship, St Mirren have sold 4k. Meanwhile, we've stuttered over the 3k mark and hoping for 3.5k which is unlikely if sales are compared to last season.

What's happening?!

We surpassed the 3,000 mark on June 19th, so will have sold a few more since then. The club will release updated figures in a few weeks. 

As for Angus FC aiming for 4,000. They've been lead down the garden path by Magic Mike and Shabba. A third failed promotion push beckons. 

St Mirren have the promotion buzz and Killie were outstanding last season, hence the high numbers.  

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's happening?!

St Mirren have just been promoted so they have that wave to ride.

United are in what now looks like the easiest championship table this last 5 years.

We have had two shit seasons which has saw our token supporters keep their cash. The second the stadium is built it will jump over a thousand and if we have a good season (top six) you will see it jump a few hundred too.

Edited by Crawford
Too not top.

Another keeper aged 18 signed. Do we really need another? That’s 5 keeper’s aged 18 and over at the club. I think we’re needing to trim the squad now and watch the amount of money getting spent on players not getting near game time. 

11 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's happening?!

Season ticket sales isn’t that important to me, different to the club I suppose.  The important figure is the amount of punters in total attending games imo. 

2000 paying at the turnstiles each home game helps to keep money coming into the club every 2nd week. If we have 3500 season ticket holders it’s up to the club to get their finances in order, which we’ve always been good at!

Edited by Yenitit

2 hours ago, Yenitit said:

Another keeper aged 18 signed. Do we really need another? That’s 5 keeper’s aged 18 and over at the club. I think we’re needing to trim the squad now and watch the amount of money getting spent on players not getting near game time. 

Gourlay and Ferrie are not ready for first team football, but need to be playing competitive, 1st team football at an appropriate level, so it's correct to send both out on loan. You'd hope we don't have to use more than one keeper in the first team this season, but if Parish or Hamilton pick up an injury we'd have no cover at all without recalling one of the on-loan youngsters, so yes, it makes perfect sense to bring in an 18 year old to play in goal for the development team and act as bench cover for the two first team goalies. 

If Ferrie and Gourlay can't displace Parish or Hamilton as a first team option next season then I suspect that'll be that as far as their time at Dundee goes.

25 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Gourlay and Ferrie are not ready for first team football, but need to be playing competitive, 1st team football at an appropriate level, so it's correct to send both out on loan. You'd hope we don't have to use more than one keeper in the first team this season, but if Parish or Hamilton pick up an injury we'd have no cover at all without recalling one of the on-loan youngsters, so yes, it makes perfect sense to bring in an 18 year old to play in goal for the development team and act as bench cover for the two first team goalies. 

If Ferrie and Gourlay can't displace Parish or Hamilton as a first team option next season then I suspect that'll be that as far as their time at Dundee goes.

I don’t think we need 5 keeper’s on the books and money could be better spent elsewhere unless this new keeper is exceptional for his age. 

3 hours ago, Yenitit said:

He's been signed to play for the (new) under 18 side - we didn't currently have a keeper who was eligible to play at that age level 

9 minutes ago, davidy233 said:

He's been signed to play for the (new) under 18 side - we didn't currently have a keeper who was eligible to play at that age level 

The new development league is allowed 5 over-agers and we're allowed to deploy Ferrie and Gourlay in those games despite their loans, no?

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

The new development league is allowed 5 over-agers and we're allowed to deploy Ferrie and Gourlay in those games despite their loans, no?

Not sure about the new 'reserve league' - last I heard was you had to play at least 5 over 20s though there have been changes to original info sent to clubs so that may not be the case now - this boy, though, has been signed to play for James McPake's under 18 side in the new under 18s league

3 hours ago, Yenitit said:

I don’t think we need 5 keeper’s on the books and money could be better spent elsewhere unless this new keeper is exceptional for his age. 

I take your point, but it's worth remembering 3 of those players will be on a minuscule wage anyway.

If Dundee seriously want to progress over the medium term, then developing more of our youth players is an absolute necessity. It follows that some of that is throwing mud at the wall and seeing what sticks. I'd rather the club trained three young players for every position on the basis that this gives the best possible chance of one of them pushing on to the first team, rather than just having a constant 1 or 2 year cycle of players going through the age groups who never amount to anything. You can't just pick the 'most likely' and hope for the best. In part, it's a numbers game. So many kids who look the part at 16-18 never push on, but then you get so many who don't stand out compared to their peers, but then come 20-21 and a bit of competitive football they really shine. 

Edited by Boo Khaki