All things Dundee FC

I'm pretty sure O'Hara is needing a bit of training to help him learn his position - he's not long been shifted out of defence and asked to play a totally different role under Hartley, before McCann has come in and got the team playing a totally different way again.

Don't deny his forms dipped since the pre-contract stuff but I think that's happened across the team at times recently and suspect they might be scared of making mistakes since they've played well at times but still lost the games and suffered the wrath of the home support for it...

I might be wrong and it might be McCann's tactics but I think it's got as much to do with them panicking about the league position and the boo boys starting to get on their backs so they 'play safe' and end up making it worse

Just my thoughts for what little they're worth

+

Edit to add - sorry Gman but I have to disagree, we dropped Gowser earlier in the season and the team lost any drive (& nearly every game) til he was back in the team again. Might be coincidence but I think he's seriously underrated by some of our supporters...

Edited by locheedee

Picking up on the McGowan comments.  IMO he is a driving force in the team, he puts in a power of work and the midfield would be far softer without him.

He does have some significant shortcomings though:

1. He isn’t a fast runner (but still works hard to back track and help the defence).

2. He constantly holds up any counter attack by doing that pirouette thing just about every time he gets the ball instead of looking for the immediate pass or driving forward (point 1 may have something to do with this).  This is his biggest fault IMO.

3. His technique for shooting is unbelievably bad for a professional player.  Given he’s often on the edge of the opposition’s box he should be getting goals, or at least asking questions of the keeper on a fairly regular basis.

Edited by Shadow Play

9 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Also feel we need a coach or someone with really good experience to help mccann in the dugout as some of his choices n changes in games has cost us badly.
Over course it's down to inexperience but I don't want that to cost us a place in the top flight.

Seen this mentioned a few times re: Dundee/McCann but also other teams/managers in the past. Obviously I get the logic but has it ever actually happened and had a positive effect? It's the sort of move that makes total sense in principle but in reality just seems to translate as a tacit undermining of the manager.

It's clear I've no time for McCann but bias aside he really doesn't strike me as the sort of character who'd react particularly well to having someone installed alongside him to effectively point out his mistakes.

I think there are signs that McCann is improving as a manager but can understand the concerns that it’s the club that suffers if he doesn’t improve quick enough.

The fact is if we had lost the games against Accies and Partick, there is a good chance that many people would have been calling for him to be sacked. Yet coming away with 2 wins nobody is particularly quick to praise him.

Can anyone honestly say they could see earlier in the season that we would go to 2 relegation rivals, be losing both with a few minutes to go and turn both games on their head? The first part maybe!

I like O'Hara - think he has the potential to be a great player. I don't like seeing him play out wide, I feel he's much better driving at the defence with the ball at his feet or making late runs into the box. Get him signed on a longer deal and I'm sure he'll develop into a quality player. Ideally, him driving forward, Kamara holding and AN Other in the playmaker role would be a strong midfield 3. What's Harkins up to these days???? ;)

7 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Do you think that's his best position?

I do, yes. That's where he played at Kilmarnock. He's good at getting forward, has a decent build etc for defensive duties . I honestly think we would benefit from playing him at right back. Surprised NMC hasn't given it a go already this season considering how hot and cold we've been in that department.

I'd put him right back as I think he's stronger than Kerr in most areas. That being said I wasn't at Firhill at the weekend and it would seem folk are saying Kerr had a decent game.

Putting him at right back allows us to bring in more a natural wide player which I think we have lacked this season. Curran for his directness on the right and Deacon on the left. We don't really have anyone decent for the left which I think has caused a number of knock-on issues with the midfield this season. I think McCann was definitely expecting more from Wolters. Unfortunately he's turned out to be a complete jobbie stain.  

Maybe if we played Spence who has a bit more bite our naturally offensive players would feel more confident getting forward. O’Hara’s performance on Saturday was almost fatal. Cammy was so exposed because MOH kept drifting into the middle of the park.

31 minutes ago, bobbycoxblue said:

Wagner's at it again lads . Winding dayglos up emoji23.png

Just went to Facebook and it was the first post. He's not quite mastered the harmony for 'He's one of our own'.

Edit: That should of course be melody before any musicians come on to correct me. Merci beaucoup. 

Edited by Dee Man

2 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Curran will score goals in midfield? Isn't Ohara our top goalscorer or not far off it and you want him right back ?

22 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

52' - Jesse Curran bursts forward an unleashes a vicious toe-poke from the edge of the box that flies into the corner. 1-0 #thedee

You tell me Gman, you tell me.

Evening guys, 

I'm currently writing my dissertation and, surprise surprise, it's about football. Could you please spare one minute and complete this survey. Thanks.

https://s.surveyplanet.com/SJukevuPf 

Survey completed. One thing I would say, I don’t buy tabloids so I’ve no idea if my team are well represented or not so you should maybe add a ‘n/a’ option rather than just ‘yes’ or ‘no’.