All things Dundee FC

Its refreshing to actually have players who are good enough to be linked with other clubs, instead of praying we find a way to tear up more contracts. Although if we do lose Basque Jon, O’Hara and Hendry, there’s a very good chance we will be relegated and I will be sad if that happens. I’m too used to the big time forum lifestyle now. I can’t go back to the fundesliga forum with all the proles. I just can’t.

RandomGuy seems to be thinking St Johnstone are signing O'Hara.
Was just told we were "one of a number" of clubs who'd contacted his agent. Aberdeen, Motherwell, the two Edinburgh sides and some League One English club also interested. Dundee not even spoken to him yet.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:
RandomGuy seems to be thinking St Johnstone are signing O'Hara.

Was just told we were "one of a number" of clubs who'd contacted his agent. Aberdeen, Motherwell, the two Edinburgh sides and some League One English club also interested. Dundee not even spoken to him yet.

Well that is false.  O'Hara and Dundee have been in talks for a few weeks, and he is expected to sign on. As stated in the press 2weeks ago by O'Hara himself. You should try and keep your gaffer happy, he wants out of St Johnstone, no wonder though. 

Anyway, Dundee are a decent club that are improving with McCann looking at 2 decent players, with Bain now gone and 2 others to go. 

Keep United down and St Johnstone in your back pocket, Dundee! 

Good night chaps. 

[mention=61427]Girth[/mention] might be able to shed a bit of light on it but I'm not sure how much investment would actually be needed to get a guy in for a Head of Recruitment position.
I'm pretty sure this has already been linked to but the Record did an excellent feature on Hibs set up a couple of weeks ago: 
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/hibs-transfer-strategy-uncovered-club-11758466

You’d be surprised that even some English Premiership clubs have a very limited scouting network. Burnley for example essentially have one head of scouting who gets contacted regarding offshoots from other clubs (old mates as clubs are so close to each other). They had to cut budgeting looking at kids (5/6 up) as they cannot compete with Liverpool, Everton, Man Utd and Man City who’s facilities are insane.

In the SPL aside from Celtic (who I know have decent scouting facilities) and Motherwell and Hibs (decent systems) I have no idea what the average team has in terms of facilities. I’d imagine most teams have something equal to or worse than Burnley.

In terms of Championship English teams I know that Birmingham City have a range of contacts who operate regionally across the country. These guys are basically part time workers who have regular full time jobs.

It’s hard for scouts to get into places even voluntarily. It’s generally bad/no pay and clubs want someone who had played footy to a reasonably high level or has some connection to clubs.

I’ve met a few scouts at games and (not to stereotype) they are largely old men who have amazing contacts and knowledge and work to keep themselves busy.

I don’t know how much help this is to anyone but I’d be happy to volunteer for Dundee.

14 minutes ago, Girth said:

You’d be surprised that even some English Premiership clubs have a very limited scouting network. Burnley for example essentially have one head of scouting who gets contacted regarding offshoots from other clubs (old mates as clubs are so close to each other). They had to cut budgeting looking at kids (5/6 up) as they cannot compete with Liverpool, Everton, Man Utd and Man City who’s facilities are insane.

In the SPL aside from Celtic (who I know have decent scouting facilities) and Motherwell and Hibs (decent systems) I have no idea what the average team has in terms of facilities. I’d imagine most teams have something equal to or worse than Burnley.

In terms of Championship English teams I know that Birmingham City have a range of contacts who operate regionally across the country. These guys are basically part time workers who have regular full time jobs.

It’s hard for scouts to get into places even voluntarily. It’s generally bad/no pay and clubs want someone who had played footy to a reasonably high level or has some connection to clubs.

I’ve met a few scouts at games and (not to stereotype) they are largely old men who have amazing contacts and knowledge and work to keep themselves busy.

I don’t know how much help this is to anyone but I’d be happy to volunteer for Dundee.

Aye. I was reading Michael Calvin's 'The Nowhere Men' and it's a really interesting insight. Scouts getting paid buttons per mile to go and watch games, file reports etc. Most of them doing it because it's what they know and it keeps them busy.

I know Thistle had recruited Gary Owers a while back to cover the English lower leagues for them. I think Barton was one that came through his recommendation but other than that I'm not sure what they've got in place. I found it interesting that you had scouts working part-time and it seemed like there was a kind of ownership with databases in place. Which is understandable I suppose.

With regards Dundee I think what I was getting at was that I found it a bit surprising that, given McCann's comments during the summer, there didn't seem to be someone in place even on a part time basis co-ordinating that stuff. Who knows maybe there is but I'd have thought it's the sort of thing that would be a good look for the club to announce. Even someone with a bit of knowledge and a few contacts working part-time to pull together the WyScout stuff and filter agent recommendations would go a long way for most clubs.

Edited by capt_oats

36 minutes ago, footballinsider said:

Well that is false.  O'Hara and Dundee have been in talks for a few weeks, and he is expected to sign on. As stated in the press 2weeks ago by O'Hara himself. You should try and keep your gaffer happy, he wants out of St Johnstone, no wonder though. 

Anyway, Dundee are a decent club that are improving with McCann looking at 2 decent players, with Bain now gone and 2 others to go. 

Good night chaps. 

YxbxdJ.gif.18350868b72553ab1858256c9afd994d.gif

36 minutes ago, footballinsider said:

Good night chaps. 

Accies made a New Years resolution then aborted the idea as they quite like having Dundee in their back pockets.

1 hour ago, footballinsider said:

Good night chaps. 

Who are the two decent players? 

Good night chaps. 

I don’t give a f**k if that was all lies. What a post!

And capt_oats, I think Archie Knox was scouting for us until Hartley became our manager and then sacked him, because he wanted to do his own scouting. It was then that Nelms should have told him to chill the f**k out and focus on managing.

Aye. I was reading Michael Calvin's 'The Nowhere Men' and it's a really interesting insight. Scouts getting paid buttons per mile to go and watch games, file reports etc. Most of them doing it because it's what they know and it keeps them busy.
I know Thistle had recruited Gary Owers a while back to cover the English lower leagues for them. I think Barton was one that came through his recommendation but other than that I'm not sure what they've got in place. I found it interesting that you had scouts working part-time and it seemed like there was a kind of ownership with databases in place. Which is understandable I suppose.
With regards Dundee I think what I was getting at was that I found it a bit surprising that, given McCann's comments during the summer, there didn't seem to be someone in place even on a part time basis co-ordinating that stuff. Who knows maybe there is but I'd have thought it's the sort of thing that would be a good look for the club to announce. Even someone with a bit of knowledge and a few contacts working part-time to pull together the WyScout stuff and filter agent recommendations would go a long way for most clubs.

I completely agree with you. I’m thinking McCann is maybe someone who has some contacts within the game.

My ex workmate’s son has been on trial at Liverpool, Everton and City. This lad is 5. Very quick and small but hard to tell at this age if he’ll make big time at that age. He often plays against older, quicker and stronger lads and does well.

The difference between huge clubs and everyone else is that huge clubs start looking for future players aged 5 and upwards. Other clubs do not have the facilities and network to operate like this.

The other issue is location. When you have a lot of biggish clubs in a smallish area (North West England) then there is almost a hierarchy for dibs on a player:

(1) Man City
(2) Man Utd
(3) Liverpool
(4) Everton
(5) Burnley
(6) Preston/Blackburn etc.
(7) Rochdale/Bury/Oldham
(8) Accrington/Macclesfield

Happy to chat by PM if anyone is interested (in case I’m blocking up this thread).

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

Here comes the hûn, here comes the hün.....

A little reminder of *** McCanns head to head record with Canning

P - W - D - L - F - A - PTS

4 - 0 - 0 - 4 - 1 - 12 - 0

Conclusive evidence that you scum are firmly detained in our pockets.

4 minutes ago, happyaccie said:

A little reminder of *** McCanns head to head record with Canning

P - W - D - L - F - A - PTS

4 - 0 - 0 - 4 - 1 - 12 - 0

Conclusive evidence that you scum are firmly detained in our pockets.

I cannot believe this guy is over 50!

Pishy senile auld c**t and shat it.