All things Dundee FC

Meekings did okay. Difficult to tell how good a centre half he is because he played on the left of a back three which meant he played most of the game at left back. Wasn't really stretched at all by County. Julen and Gadz also played and Julen and Josh were subbed with 20 to go. Best for us were Vincent, Curran and the boy Lambert is some talent!

Just reading on the BBC website that Hartley has been appointed manager at Falkirk (hopefully he will continue his record of ensuring Championship football for the DABS ;)), and it says:

"The former Celtic, Hearts and Scotland midfielder led Alloa to successive promotions and then took Dundee into the Premiership.

He also secured a top-six finish with the Dark Blues during his time in charge at Dens Park, where he also had a spell as a player."

Am I being thick and can't remember him actually playing for us, or is the BBC making it up again??? Stupid question, I suppose...

That James McPake/Dave Mackay interview is top notch. Clear to see McPake is 'Derry'ed oot his nut!' as he asks a question on behalf of Tommy Young asking why Mackay gestured to our support after scoring a penalty and admits that he was, 'raging' when he heard Mackay done that. When Mackay is talking about St Johnstone's cup final win, McPake forces Mackay to say who the opposition was. It's just the little things, but it's clear McPake is now a self-confessed Dee.

Mackay attempts to re-paint history a little by saying that he had no choice in leaving the first time as the contract we offered him when in admin was below the level he was offered compared to when he was 19 and he simply couldn't afford to stay. Possibly nothing wrong with that statement, but with the likes of Barry Smith, Derek Soutar, Steve Lovell, Nacho Novo, Julian Speroni, Steven Robb, Garry Brady,  Lee Wilkie, Stephen McNally, Lee Mair, Callum McDonald and Brent Sancho(?) all taking pay cuts/agreeing to stay on, it doesn't necessarily wash with me although I do accept each individual had their own circumstances at the time.

He then justifies his reasoning of not coming back to Dundee when he had the opportunity because he and Davidson were sold as a pair. Mackay says he wanted to join Dundee (Or Motherwell) and Davidson was desperate to go to St Johnstone, so St Johnstone it was.

Loved the interview and warmed to Mackay but it re-inforced my previous opinion of him tbh.

Edited by Ludo*1

Tbf hes told the story about wanting to rejoin Dundee but being forced to join us for years, it's not something he's just made up. Only way we'd do the deal is if we got both, and Livingston put huge pressure on the players to move as they were desperate for cash.

Heard we tried to punt Gadz to Raith on loan. For whatever reason, the move fell through. I definitely get the vibe that Gadz is our last choice CH behind even Julen.

That doesn't really make sense (him being behind Julen) though as he's the one McCann actively offered a new deal to. McCann's comments about Waddell being a brilliant aerial defender and 'no-nonsense' would also suggest Gadz can fit the style in some way.

I suppose though with four centre backs excluding both of them likely above them in the pecking order, a couple of months out on loan could actually seem a reasonable option if it has them playing at a good level and we can get them back in 48 hours.

My instinct is that McCann always aimed at working with O'Dea, Hendry, Meekings and Gadzhalov when planning for the season (Meekings & Gadz finished the season playing games) but Waddell has just really impressed.

Just now, harry94 said:

That doesn't really make sense (him being behind Julen) though as he's the one McCann actively offered a new deal to. McCann's comments about Waddell being a brilliant aerial defender and 'no-nonsense' would also suggest Gadz can fit the style in some way.

I suppose though with four centre backs excluding both of them likely above them in the pecking order, a couple of months out on loan could actually seem a reasonable option if it has them playing at a good level and we can get them back in 48 hours.

My instinct is that McCann always aimed at working with O'Dea, Hendry, Meekings and Gadzhalov when planning for the season (Meekings & Gadz finished the season playing games) but Waddell has just really impressed.

If you listen to the interviews on DEETV, you'll note McCann always makes mention of Julen and Kosta is treated as a bit more of a 'side note'. Just a little thing, but it is noticeable.  I've no reason to doubt the loan story, but again, it points to Gadz being surplus to requirements. McCann also only offered Gadzhalov a deal without having ever seen Julen play and before anyone had expected Waddell to burst onto the scene. I reckon since Julen's been working to get fit, he's maybe been more impressed with what he's seen from him.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf hes told the story about wanting to rejoin Dundee but being forced to join us for years, it's not something he's just made up. Only way we'd do the deal is if we got both, and Livingston put huge pressure on the players to move as they were desperate for cash.

I'm not doubting the genuineness of the story, I believe him on that one, I do, however, think it's a stretch for him to say that he didn't want to join St Johnstone ahead of us but it was someone elses (Davidson) fault that he didn't return. It just seems like he said that to placate the Dundee fans because if he truly wanted to sign for us or another club, forced or not, they could have came to a deal.

If you listen to the interviews on DEETV, you'll note McCann always makes mention of Julen and Kosta is treated as a bit more of a 'side note'. Just a little thing, but it is noticeable.  I've no reason to doubt the loan story, but again, it points to Gadz being surplus to requirements. McCann also only offered Gadzhalov a deal without having ever seen Julen play and before anyone had expected Waddell to burst onto the scene. I reckon since Julen's been working to get fit, he's maybe been more impressed with what he's seen from him.

It could be that I suppose. Gadz has previously given the impression of being a bit huffy and not listening to other players in some 20s games and friendlies whereas Julen seems a tad more than responsive. Maybe Julen's attitude won out.

I do get the impression though that McCann's already in early planning for next season and working on this scouting network he's mentioned. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see the pair of them out of the door on the 1st January to free up wages for further work. Williams and Vincent are also a wee bit more likely out. Even maybe Allan if he struggles to make an impact (although I am hopeful he'll come good).

We could be looking at up to 6 or so players departing in a few months.

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

It could be that I suppose. Gadz has previously given the impression of being a bit huffy and not listening to other players in some 20s games and friendlies whereas Julen seems a tad more than responsive. Maybe Julen's attitude won out.

I do get the impression though that McCann's already in early planning for next season and working on this scouting network he's mentioned. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see the pair of them out of the door on the 1st January to free up wages for further work. Williams and Vincent are also a wee bit more likely out. Even maybe Allan if he struggles to make an impact (although I am hopeful he'll come good).

We could be looking at up to 6 or so players departing in a few months.

I just hope Hartley still thinks Vincent and Williams are world beaters, otherwise we might have a job offloading those two!

45 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I just hope Hartley still thinks Vincent and Williams are world beaters, otherwise we might have a job offloading those two!

Swap either of them or both for Rory Loy who, I'm guessing, will be less than impressed with the appointment??? 

6 minutes ago, AMAPC said:

Swap either of them or both for Rory Loy who, I'm guessing, will be less than impressed with the appointment??? 

Rory Loy looks done as a player, apparently been a waste of a shirt in his time at Falkirk so far.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Rory Loy looks done as a player, apparently been a waste of a shirt in his time at Falkirk so far.

This is true, with the caveat that the Betfred group stage games are excluded, where the whole team looked great before inexplicably turning to manure after half an hour at Love St.

PS quite pleased we got Hartley. Horrendous signings in his last year aside, he knows what needs done.

14 minutes ago, AMAPC said:

Hartley really liked Loy. He couldn't work him into the team as an inside forward (mainly because Hemmings up top and Harkins as a number 10 behind was shown as a far superior option) but he brought him in on the left wing just to keep him involved when he had pretty much no impact there. The following season, he put a lot in him with the departures but then found he was ineffective because we were so poor and just had to go long which wasn't suited for him without a target man.

I suspect he may fancy getting Loy and Ausin working as a pair.

Mackay attempts to re-paint history a little by saying that he had no choice in leaving the first time as the contract we offered him when in admin was below the level he was offered compared to when he was 19 and he simply couldn't afford to stay. Possibly nothing wrong with that statement, but with the likes of Barry Smith, Derek Soutar, Steve Lovell, Nacho Novo, Julian Speroni, Steven Robb, Garry Brady,  Lee Wilkie, Stephen McNally, Lee Mair, Callum McDonald and Brent Sancho(?) all taking pay cuts/agreeing to stay on, it doesn't necessarily wash with me although I do accept each individual had their own circumstances at the time.

This is quite cringeworthy to be honest, Ludo.

He was the lowest paid player in the first team squad and was asked to take a pay cut. If that's true then how can you judge him for leaving? I don't get your comparison to others staying on after taking pay cuts either given that they would have been on more than him. He put his family first and I don't think anyone can question that.

This is quite cringeworthy to be honest, Ludo.

He was the lowest paid player in the first team squad and was asked to take a pay cut. If that's true then how can you judge him for leaving? I don't get your comparison to others staying on after taking pay cuts either given that they would have been on more than him. He put his family first and I don't think anyone can question that.

You think the likes of Calum McDonald, Derek Soutar, Lee Mair and Stephen McNally were on more? The only thing cringeworthy is you sticking up for the money grabbing welt.

The media at the time got it spot on in their analysis.