All things Dundee FC

Without meaning to interrupt the last few pages of tenancy agreements and landownership...

Myself and a friend have recently set up Proud Dees, a supporters group for LGBT fans and friends. We believe this is only the second such group in Scotland (Aberdeen supporters set one up last year) but the vast majority of English Premier League teams have such groups already (such as the more inventively named Gay Gooners, Canal St Blues, KopOuts etc).

So far the social media reaction has mainly been positive, with the odd exception - but with over 70% of fans hearing homophobic abuse, and over one in five 18-24 year olds saying they'd be embarrassed if a player on their team came out and that homophobic language is just banter - we think there's definitely a place for the group within the club and the supporters association.

So, yeah, a shameless plug...

https://facebook.com/Proud-Dees-2323988474493144/

https://twitter.com/prouddees

#nohomo

Well done. We need to make homophobic abuse as unacceptable as racism, not forgetting sexism.

Always laugh when you see the reprobates crying and somehow making themselves the victim saying shite like "Can't do anything these day without gayness getting shoved down my throat".

1. it's no as if you're gonna catch the gay. 

2. if you'd just shut your puss, stop greetin, & stop trying to make lgbt people disappear from the public eye again, it'd quickly become a complete non-issue.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Sooky's still a Tory b*****d though . . .

emoji48.png

Yeah, I'd admire what he's doing but his politics stink.

It's taken decades to reduce racism in our society but there's still far more of it than is acceptable, sadly the fight against homophobia will probably take as long though credit to those are leading it.

Sooky's still a Tory b*****d though . . .

[emoji48]

You may of course abuse me for that.

Still mostly a positive reaction online. A couple of Dundee fans who are accusing us of "politicising football" when our only real aim is to highlight and tackle homophobia that is still far too prevalent within the game, which is a shame. The typical "I don't care if you're gay, just don't tell me about it" response. But there would be no point in the group, if everyone agreed!

Having said that, we've had a great response from Dee's online and the DSA have been very supportive. Also heartening to see Falkirk, Kilmarnock - and even Arab - fans call on their clubs to do similar!

You may of course abuse me for that.

Still mostly a positive reaction online. A couple of Dundee fans who are accusing us of "politicising football" when our only real aim is to highlight and tackle homophobia that is still far too prevalent within the game, which is a shame. The typical "I don't care if you're gay, just don't tell me about it" response. But there would be no point in the group, if everyone agreed!

Having said that, we've had a great response from Dee's online and the DSA have been very supportive. Also heartening to see Falkirk, Kilmarnock - and even Arab - fans call on their clubs to do similar!

Where has the criticism appeared? It'd be interesting to see the knuckle draggers exposed. As a youngster, I'm sure many have used the words 'gay', 'poof' and 'faggot' as a term of slagging a friend, but with education that will die with my generation and be as outcast as racist remarks tend to be in Scottish society.

It's strange, because I know people that use such remarks in a joke context (And I must admit I've done so when younger as well) and they couldn't really care less about sexuality. It's the people that think 'this is being forced down my throat and it has nothing to do with football' before shouting homophobic abuse at a player on a Saturday that are the real problem.

Anyways - I'm on a ramble now - I hope this takes off and well done on starting it off Sooky, I'm proud that we are one of the few to start something like this off.

Where has the criticism appeared? It'd be interesting to see the knuckle draggers exposed. As a youngster, I'm sure many have used the words 'gay', 'poof' and 'faggot' as a term of slagging a friend, but with education that will die with my generation and be as outcast as racist remarks tend to be in Scottish society.

It's strange, because I know people that use such remarks in a joke context (And I must admit I've done so when younger as well) and they couldn't really care less about sexuality. It's the people that think 'this is being forced down my throat and it has nothing to do with football' before shouting homophobic abuse at a player on a Saturday that are the real problem.

Anyways - I'm on a ramble now - I hope this takes off and well done on starting it off Sooky, I'm proud that we are one of the few to start something like this off.

Just in some replies to tweets from the twitter account we set up. Yeah, I get the feeling that most people who shout that kind of abuse at players don't really mean it in a homophobic way. But, I can assure you, if you're a gay youngster just getting in to football, hearing those words shouted as a form of abuse can seriously put you off going to games and doesn't exactly make you feel great about yourself in the process.

It is certainly getting better, but it does sometimes feel that football lags behind most of society with these sort of issues.

As an aside, this article is worth a read - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/40846848

(Sorry for hijacking the thread, I just thought some of you might be interested to hear about the formation of the group)

Just in some replies to tweets from the twitter account we set up. Yeah, I get the feeling that most people who shout that kind of abuse at players don't really mean it in a homophobic way. But, I can assure you, if you're a gay youngster just getting in to football, hearing those words shouted as a form of abuse can seriously put you off going to games and doesn't exactly make you feel great about yourself in the process.

It is certainly getting better, but it does sometimes feel that football lags behind most of society with these sort of issues.

As an aside, this article is worth a read - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/40846848

(Sorry for hijacking the thread, I just thought some of you might be interested to hear about the formation of the group)

Not at all - makes a nice change for somebody who's not a St Johnstone fan to post here these days.

1 hour ago, AfternoonDeeLight said:

There's one guy on Twitter who appears to be from Dublin that's really not happy about this at all. He's gone full Helen Lovejoy, asking why on earth kids should be exposed to such things as rainbow flags...

Ffs, its twats like that that are one of the biggest issues - them doing the keyboard warrior bit spouting twisted versions of the bible or whatever to excuse whats just homophobia is pathetic.

+

They do my head in too, coz its like arguing with our resident Fermer's - they're too dumb, proud and ignorant to even concede they could ever be wrong!

Edit to add - top effort Sooky, even if you are a tory c#nt!

Edited by locheedee

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Well done Sooky, you have successfully scared Tibbermoresaint away, we just need another way to get rid of the rest of these agricultural loving hoors.

Shhh he'll hear you...

Edited by locheedee