All things Dundee FC

13 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Certainly bonkers to suggest he's been the biggest problem anyway. Jeezo.

I don't think he's been the problem and couldn't really point to anything he's done wrong but I see the argument and I would be curious to see how it works.

The theory is that Williams has a pretty good understanding with the wingers in front of him and is just naturally better going forward. I don't think Holt is that bad in that department and he had a run last season where he started to look particularly threatening with confidence but it is a side of his game where he can be a little awkward with. He does have a habit of going low on confidence and needlessly punting the odd ball under panic and giving poorly weighted passes to the players in front of him that causes them to go backwards on themselves to intercept; not ideal if you've got a player like Randy who you want to hit space.

That might be over estimating Williams ability but I actually think he's quite a clever player and think he should be deployed more. Even ignoring friendlies, I actually thought he had a few good games last season that weren't really well remembered for one reason or another.

Read in The Courier that Jack Hendry is currently living in Edinburgh and car shares with Holt, Bain and Spence but he sees that as not good enough and plans on moving to Dundee in the near future. Some commitment from the lad wish more were like it.

Wouldn't be dropping holt either. I think he is doing well.
I'd like hendry to get a starting place. ODEA is my issue. Blames everyone else even though it's him making a c**t of it.

Ach well time to change that n win tonight. :-)

Agree regarding O'Dea. Too busy shouting at everyone else to realise that a lot of the time he's the problem.

It's a tricky one, I agree about O'Dead but think he's a better leader than he is defender. Bit of balance required, maybe someone a bit more mobile (Waddell or Hendry) can cover for his slowness and inability to jump... might actually pan out well, all things considered. We need a balance of experience and youth IMO, particularly at the back; I think we're particularly weak when we play O'Dea alongside someone like Gadz or Julen — both similar type of defender.

Anyway, as GMan said, tonight is the perfect time to put those worries away and give the Dayglo tossers a good old-fashion Derry kicking.

Thank you.

I'm going to go against the grain here but I think O'Dea is a very good player for us and is consistently in our top 2 or 3 players. Great reader of the game, good on the ball and a good organiser. I don't get the criticism of him tbh.   

I think if we signed a fit Josh Meekings and paired him with Hendry that O'Dea could easily play left back and give us a strong defensive line up. 

We'll miss O'Dea tonight, let's hope not too much though. 

Struggling to understand the criticism of O'Dea here. He makes mistakes, if he didn't, he wouldn't be playing at this level but he has massively strengthened our defence since he came in and is consistently our best CH.

I'd say I was one of Holt's biggest critics in his first season with us - used to get roasted from Ludo for how bad I would tear into him, but I would say definitely since then he has somewhat improved. Last season in particular as Harry said he was getting forward, taking free kicks and even scored a few goals and I would say he had a bit more support defensively from the midfield compared to when he had Greg Stewart in front of him.

Anyway on to tonight, how the f**k do you kick this nervous feeling before a derby? No matter the importance I always feel sick. A few pints after work should do the trick but at the moment I'm sitting in work like a DAB wife waiting on their man getting home after a defeat to Dumbarton.

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Why put Odea left back when holt is fine there ?
Liam nailed it for me in saying he is a good leader. That I can't argue with. He seems to give a toss , not many do.

Reader of the game I can't agree with. He cost us the goal against Ross County with the basic header and defending and the goal that United had scored, he didn't need to dive into the challenge.
However leadership is key. Hendry scoring 2 goals which is impressive for a defender already.
A clean sheet and win tonight please. Should be fairly straight forward against a championship team.

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

It's fair to say we disagree about O'Dea then. I'd move him to left back for the sole reason that Holt makes to many mistakes and until next season a defence of Kerr, Hendry, Meekings (if signed) and O'Dea is better than one with Holt in it. 

The goals you mentioned, fault could easily be laid elsewhere. El Bahktoui is the worst offender at the County goal, if he stayed on the post like he's meant too the ball would've hit him and stayed out. Bain could be questioned for not taking the cross in his 6 yard box as well. 

The Yenited  goal could be the fault of 2 or 3 if we're looking to pick faults. 

Since he came in havnt we conceded more goals ? Or can we blame Bain? I'm sure someone quoted third worst in league for conceding goals?

I'm not going to look through facts as I know we don't like them .

All I want is a clean sheet and win tonight. Should be straight forward.

He joined in January 2016. Up until he joined we had conceded 36 goals in the league that season. He played in 16 games in which we conceded 21 goals thus conceding 1.31 goals per game. 36 goals over the other 22 games = 1.63 goals conceded per game.

We conceded 57 goals that season.

So in the only comparable season of having O'Dea or not - He improved our defence by quite a bit if you want to look at it statistically.

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

It's fair to say we disagree about O'Dea then. I'd move him to left back for the sole reason that Holt makes to many mistakes and until next season a defence of Kerr, Hendry, Meekings (if signed) and O'Dea is better than one with Holt in it. 

The goals you mentioned, fault could easily be laid elsewhere. El Bahktoui is the worst offender at the County goal, if he stayed on the post like he's meant too the ball would've hit him and stayed out. Bain could be questioned for not taking the cross in his 6 yard box as well. 

The Yenited  goal could be the fault of 2 or 3 if we're looking to pick faults. 

Definitely. Kamara just let his man run off him into acres of space but Holt was to blame for being too far back from the rest of the defence and playing them onside. Pretty basic stuff that you learn about 12 years old.

58 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Definitely. Kamara just let his man run off him into acres of space but Holt was to blame for being too far back from the rest of the defence and playing them onside. Pretty basic stuff that you learn about 12 years old.

That's exactly how I saw it as well Dee Man. 

So we can agree Bain has a lot to answer for since Odea has improved us? Long behold we can't get rid of bain and he will no doubt go for nothing.

No, we can't. It's a team game. He can be questioned on specific goals conceded, as can each and every individual player. Bain's form was questionable last season but he's not singularly to blame either.

31 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Odea came flying out and got left behind by a Diddy championship player . Holt picked up somebody else's player.
Basic stuff from Odea to just stay in line rather than diving in and making a c**t of it.

However we have to move on. Tonight is the real deal. No excuses from the team

I'm not disagreeing with you - the three of them were culpable but Kamara and Holt were behind O'Dea to make amends for him flying in. 

Anyway, who gives a f**k now? Let's get these shitey sleeved c***s pumped tonight.