All things Dundee FC

21 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm a wee bit worried that we aren't planning for next season as of yet. I realise it's difficult when we don't know which league we'll be in, but we don't even have a manager that is making contingencies for either scenario.

My worry stems from the fact that when you see players like Marc McNulty & Stefan Scougall being released down South, who'd both improve our squad immeasurably, we'll be behind the curve as other similar sized clubs in the league will already be analysing potential talent that they want to sign whether they're in this league or the Championship.

Did Hartley sign up any pre contracts?

Am I right in thinking that with Hamilton and Motherwell playing each other next week if we win against county we will be safe?

If Hamilton or Motherwell win and we win we will be safe. Easier said than done mind.

He actually had a decent game today - a lot less bombscare moments and the free he did give away for the booking was what you could a good foul - miles away from the goal.

And a perfectly good goal disallowed. Suppose that makes up for Hateley's clearance last week.

Are we allowed to play any of our loanees who play for clubs that aren't involved in the playoffs now that their seasons are over? Loy, Curran, Gourlay etc might be useful to have on the bench if needed.

Nope. Past that point.

If Neil McCann manages to keep us up I think John Nelms has pulled off a bit of a master stroke. 

Hopefully Nelms will be given a huge amount of credit for the brave decisions he's made about PH/McCann rather than being blasted for not making them earlier.  

Still some nervous moments ahead until we get the required points though. 

Should Hartley have been sacked earlier?  A definite yes IMO.  He should have gone after we lost 7 goals at home to Aberdeen, especially given the bad cup runs, his general lack of tactical awareness and his apparent inability to get out of his signings what he presumably thought they would bring to the team.  Can't help but think we would have beaten Hamilton at home if McCann had been in charge. Would I have thought about McCann - a definite no.  

Who knows why the board didn't punt Hartley sooner.  Wanting to remain loyal? Hoping against hope that Hartley knew what was going wrong and could turn it around?  Waiting until the right man was available / persuaded? If it's the latter then, yes, 100% praise to the board.

What if it was a case of showing loyalty to someone up until the last minute. 

Could be a plus point when appointing the new manager that the current board show a great deal of loyalty to the previous manager. 

Hartley should have been sacked in January. The writing was on the wall all season and it was obvious he'd lost the plot. All credit to McCann coming in and making it work though, fantastic start and much better than anyone could have imagined. Still have three very important games to go though and I reckon it will go right to the wire.

Thank you.

Interesting comment from Scott Bain at the end of his interview on DeeTV. Said since McCann has come in training has been 100 mile an hour and very competitive which was missing in the past.

Wonder if Hartley's style of training wasn't necessarily as good as it's been made out to be in the media. 

Hartley was sacked at the perfect time and if we stay up, that will confirm it.

The guy did a fantastic job for us and deserved to be given the time to turn us around. After the Hamilton game it was obvious that there was no more he could do so he was inevitably sacked; giving his successor enough time to sort things out.

If we stay up McCann will and deserves to be offered the job full time and I have a feeling he'll take it. If he decides to knock it back then my first choice would be Jack Ross.

I personally don't think Hartley has what it takes to be a really successful manager. I couldn't, for example, ever imagine him managing in the EPL. That said if he'd got his 3 top league seasons the other way around - that is year 1, a scrap to the end to avoid the drop, year 2 miss out on top 6 but not worried about the drop and relegating the Arabs along the way and finally year 3, making the top 6, then I'd probably think he was the Messiah.

1 hour ago, richDFC said:

Interesting comment from Scott Bain at the end of his interview on DeeTV. Said since McCann has come in training has been 100 mile an hour and very competitive which was missing in the past.

Wonder if Hartley's style of training wasn't necessarily as good as it's been made out to be in the media. 

I find that somewhat strange given that Hartley and the squad were always banging on about training with intensity.

2 minutes ago, AnAnInginAneAnA said:

I find that somewhat strange given that Hartley and the squad were always banging on about training with intensity.

Training with intensity is something that is easy to say but hard to do when there is no confidence.

35 minutes ago, The Master said:

Disgusting behaviour. The SPFL should kick their team out the league for this IMO. 

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/balaclava-wearing-football-yobs-went-rampage-dundee-city-centre/

:lol:

It must of been the glare of the big city lights that gave him his sense of euphoria!

Probably wearing a balaclava because his sand blasted face would offend women and children, hanging around with kids too, a bit beastly IMO.

Prob Bordomguy.