All things Dundee FC

Does Granny genuinely think making jokes about Madeline McCann is funny?

It's not, and it can't even be considered edgy as its about a decade late. It's creepy as f**k.

He's considerably more welcome than you are.

21 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Worth Adding that during the Hamilton match Bain deliberately walked towards the Derry to 'engage in a debate' with a couple of lads who were shouting at him about his poor distribution.  Is that sign of someone who is being professional?  

Let's all be honest here, Bain would have been dropped if Hartley had signed a reserve keeper he had confidence in.

To be fair to Bain the guy's giving him abuse when he reacted were OTT. Which got pointed out to them by others sitting around them in the Derry. 

It's not Bain's fault if they 2 punters couldn't work out that the ball was getting held up if it was played into the general area of the gap between the Derry and the Coxy. 1st time was when they wanted Bain to throw it about 30 yards to Kerr which was never going to reach there. 

Imo Bain was right, hence the backing he got from others in the Derry at the time. 

I understand the sentiment but Hartley did a lot of analysis for BT, folk never kicked up a fuss at that

True, but you'd have to imagine that this arrangement would have affected training. Can't imagine the team get a Saturday afternoon off. Hartley only tended to do night games.

I've not really a problem with it and I know Sutton's stirring but he does have a point.

It's a non-story. Neil McCann honouring his commitments to Sky is not going to cost us our Premiership status. If we go down it will be things like losing 7 games on the trot and scoring one goal in the process that will have done it.

Sutton is an attention seeking fud.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Nicky Low seems to be impressing the Irish fans:

I've always thought Nicky Low could be a really good player but I think it'd be a good thing for both parties if this spell ends up permanent.

Regardless of our league status next season, we'll be needing to move players on to mend our squad balance and we've got limited maneuverability in the out of contract players. There's a relatively high chance that he'll break down again at this level and if he does, we won't really have many suitors to take him so we may be a player down and have him stuck to the wage bill.

If we did go down, I could see more of an argument in retaining Loy (especially to keep him from rivals) but I'd be comfortable with him going too if St Mirren come in for him. Wighton, Faissal and Vincent (who we've played out of position for the season) are all naturally secondary attackers so I'd be inclined to think that his wages wouldn't really be that useful.

Vincent is a natural secondary attacker? Since when ? Just presumed his job was to do all the tackling and clear the ball from defence /midfield. Attacking? News to me on that one

Apparently filled this role very well at ICT. Think it's been mentioned that they thought it was his best position.

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Vincent is a natural secondary attacker? Since when ? Just presumed his job was to do all the tackling and clear the ball from defence /midfield. Attacking? News to me on that one

21 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Apparently filled this role very well at ICT. Think it's been mentioned that they thought it was his best position.

^^

They actually told us that he was poor in a deeper midfield midfield role and wouldn't be effective IIRC. My memories of him is that he used to barrage the backline and press really high which caused us to panic and had the ball stuck in our half for most of the game. He used to always break quite quickly and his movement and timing of direct passing made him quite a creative threat as he could transition the team from defence to attack. Their win rate with him in this role was quite impressive and showed a similar reliance as Thomson had to us in our first season as a player who made them tick.

McGowan, Ross and Vincent have spent their career before Dundee as attacking players yet play very different roles here.

^^
They actually told us that he was poor in a deeper midfield midfield role and wouldn't be effective IIRC. My memories of him is that he used to barrage the backline and press really high which caused us to panic and had the ball stuck in our half for most of the game. He used to always break quite quickly and his movement and timing of direct passing made him quite a creative threat as he could transition the team from defence to attack. Their win rate with him in this role was quite impressive and showed a similar reliance as Thomson had to us in our first season as a player who made them tick.
McGowan, Ross and Vincent have spent their career before Dundee as attacking players yet play very different roles here.

This is my recollection too. Vincent has done pretty well as it is, in my opinion and an attacking player as you have described is something we could really do with.

Under Hartley we always had every Wednesday and Sunday off but the weekend day off would change depending on the day of the game. The players definitely had Saturday past off.

Just now, Fifespud said:

This is my recollection too. Vincent has done pretty well as it is, in my opinion and an attacking player as you have described is something we could really do with.

It'll be really interesting how McCann sets his first team up as we're such an awkwardly balanced team which makes it quite difficult to play players in their best roles without a lot of upheaval.

It may be a bit silly to speculate that his management philosophy will be based on his playing style but it's all we have to guess right now. As a winger, he'll maybe want to bring an emphasis on getting our wide men to go outside and deliver more crosses. It would naturally give Williams another chance (as our only senior winger) but past that, nothing seems simple. O'Hara may be considered more effective inside and not really able to play that sort of role with the lack of pace (although he did rip a woeful Motherwell defence apart before from that position) and then Wighton carries a similar issue and doesn't seem natural there. Playing Faissal an option but he might be a very good player to have to get on the end of crosses as he is good at getting flicks on things. I have a wee feeling he might do something a bit unexpected like get Cammy further forward (when he returns) or even bring in Dryden who has played there a fair bit for the youths and seems to have a really good cross on him.

On the other hand, as bad as we've been recently, it's high risk to maybe have that much upheaval. Similar teams to the ones we've had in recent games have played every side in the bottom six (except for Killie) and recorded victories so it's not that unreasonable that a similar sort of team with additional confidence could make a big difference and see quite a different display.

13 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Can he shoot? McGowan certainly can't and Vincent I'm unsure about.

Not really seen much of that side of things as his attacking contribution was mostly that secondary type of assist where he'd maybe manage to bring the play forward by a great distance quite quickly and then distribute the ball to a wide man or attacker in a dangerous position.

We've not really created that much recently so it's hard to tell how much that contribution would be valuable over a strike pairing who don't seem to be able to get involved in the game.

7 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

We seem just to be shite right across the team
I can't even say what would be out strongest area.
Moving on since I've seen it going on in Partick thread. Who has our player of the year been?

The groundsman IMO.

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

We seem just to be shite right across the team
I can't even say what would be out strongest area.

Moving on since I've seen it going on in Partick thread. Who has our player of the year been?

Kerr, every cloud n that...