All things Dundee FC

At least a few are agreeing that Ross deserves a chance. He had a slow start to life at Dens last season but came onto a game and played well in large spells out of position too.

Got big hope for Williams in the next five considering him and McCann are/were similar players.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

There is no chance whatsoever that, if fit, Gowser will be out the side, and rightly so imo.

So

Bain, O'Hara,O'Dea,Gagz, Holt, Vincent, Gowser, Ross, Pyjamas, FEB, Haber.

Barack Ojaama.

Was he though? The only time he deflected blame from himself (Which was shocking tbf) was the Aberdeen game and he had a point to a certain extent. He has singled players out on occasion, but he also singled them out for praise when it was merited often enough. His tactics may not have been the best, but players should be professional enough to cope with that rather than just not trying like Bain has been doing.
I'm not sticking up for Hartley by any stretch - He was correctly punted, but I'm not buying into the open season situation that's happening in regards to him now either.

There were certainly other occasions when he blamed the team and refused to take the blame himself.

Yeah but the tactics were being changed week in week out and that has to be hard for players to continually adapt to different tactics/formations particularly when they were being played out of position.

And It's extremely harsh to say Bain hasn't been trying. Yes his form hasn't been great but he has still made some very good saves this season. It doesn't help that the defence/midfield in front of him has been absolutely pish for most parts of the season as well.

There were certainly other occasions when he blamed the team and refused to take the blame himself.

Yeah but the tactics were being changed week in week out and that has to be hard for players to continually adapt to different tactics/formations particularly when they were being played out of position.

And It's extremely harsh to say Bain hasn't been trying. Yes his form hasn't been great but he has still made some very good saves this season. It doesn't help that the defence/midfield in front of him has been absolutely pish for most parts of the season as well.

Respectfully I disagree completely with that. I don't think he sacrificed the team to make himself look blameless. I think he called it as he seen it on the pitch, if a player snatched at a chance he'd say they snatched at a chance.

Playing a player out of position shouldn't cause a player to go hiding and too much emphasis is placed on that for the sake of the player. If the tactics aren't working, then off course it's going to be changed and we only really played with a maximum of 3 formations this season, it's not exactly rocket science and professional players at this level should know their role in a team.

I don't think it's harsh at all on Bain either. He's produced 2-3 performances all season that have been near what he's capable of whilst conceding at least 10-12 goals that your average keeper could throw his hat on and that's before mentioning him refusing to catch a ball. The defence haven't been the best and have been let down by the midfield - that I do agree on and that is Hartley's fault there. He's signed far too many shitebags such as Hateley, Gomis, Vincent and Williams who are all technically good players but refuse to involve themselves far too often in my opinion.

I do get your point of view and as I say, to a certain extent I'm overly defending Hartley as I don't believe his stint deserves to be completely buried due to the shambles of this season, but particularly the last 7 games.

19 hours ago, harry94 said:

I think you would understand a bit more if you saw him regularly.

His first year wasn't just good in the way that you get some overrated mediocre type bottom team 'keeper who gets some plaudits from uninformed journalists for a couple of camera saves (i.e. Ali Al Habsi), it's been a massive change to his whole game. I've never seen a 'keeper going from looking so outrageously confident (pretty much coming for absolutely everything) to what he looks like now. If you compare his Aberdeen games in the first year to the one the other week, it's a totally different guy. The gulf in quality wasn't some sort of marginal fluke, he was miles ahead over a fair number of games for a while.

I don't give a shit if he argues with fans or whatever but the fact that he feels the need to suggests he's maybe not made of the right mental stuff to handle a club with this sort of pressure. The first time shit has hit the fan, he's went winging on social media and acts like a sensitive little bitch who is angry because their boyfriend has forgot to send a kiss in a message.

He's spent his senior career as the golden boy and now his career is at a crossroads.

True, I think his heads Been turned by speculation of a move elsewhere.

I've only seen him a dozen or so times but to me he looks arrogant.

Hartley gave him a  chance to

Play at this level so the least he could have done Is show professionilsm.

From what I've seen he's probably half as good as he thinks  he is.

You are what your majority if your games are , for him over 3 seasons that makes him good imo.

Don't think for a minute he's not trying.

Edited by Besty

Re the criticism of Bain refusing to catch a ball. It has been suggested by quite a few people on the club forum that he has been told not to come of his line.

Apparently Hartley wants the defenders to deal with the crosses into the box not the keeper.

I don't know how much truth there is in that but in his first season Bain was outstanding at dealing with cross balls into the box and now he is glued to the line.

Moving onto new things, is Terry potentially the worst nickname in Scottish football? He looks nothing like Terry McCann from Minder and McCann isn't exactly an uncommon name. We need to get a new nickname for him. Any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Moving onto new things, is Terry potentially the worst nickname in Scottish football? He looks nothing like Terry McCann from Minder and McCann isn't exactly an uncommon name. We need to get a new nickname for him. Any suggestions?

Madeline 

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Fergus

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's just shite patter. He's no Finnish.

Reveal hidden contents

He's only 42

One of the funniest things I've heard on the radio.... Arthur Albiston couldn't quite believe what he was hearing :blink:

Re the criticism of Bain refusing to catch a ball. It has been suggested by quite a few people on the club forum that he has been told not to come of his line.

Apparently Hartley wants the defenders to deal with the crosses into the box not the keeper.

I don't know how much truth there is in that but in his first season Bain was outstanding at dealing with cross balls into the box and now he is glued to the line.

Most of the chunts, on there, don't have a phucking clue what their talking about.

Why would Hartley tell Bain not to come off his line, and why would he listen, as it's making him look shite. He's lost confidence, and at the moment is a very average keeper.

Most of the chunts, on there, don't have a phucking clue what their talking about.

Why would Hartley tell Bain not to come off his line, and why would he listen, as it's making him look shite. He's lost confidence, and at the moment is a very average keeper.

It seems a strange for me but Hartley has been known for some bizarre tactics shall we say. I just don't see how Bain has went from being one of the best in the league at coming from his
Line to being glued to it that's more than a confidence issue for me because this isn't a recent thing it has been going on for a while.

I reckon Bain, Gomis, Hately and Williams should have been forced to go to the Night of Champions at the Whitehall Theatre.  Maybe they would have learned something about attitude from club legends that have truly achieved something special in the game.  If they had half the attitude of Liney, Ure, Brown and Gilzean we might just have a different set of fixtures over the next 5 games!

Great night.  Credit to every one involved.

could be mixing up zonal defending here with the idea the keeper stays on his line. Obviously zonal defending puts emphasis on defenders to pick up ateas in the box but that would never stop a keeper attacking a ball he knows he can make a play on