All things Dundee FC

Well, bottom line was Hartley's time was up for various reasons covered already. So somebody had to come in and the board were unlikely to go for a long term appointment at this stage of the season.

On the bright side the remaining games are against teams that Dundee are well capable of beating if properly motivated and set up. That's a pretty big if considering there is little margin for error. 

So the first thing the new manager has to do is bring the squad together, then work on a formation that will bear fruit.

This responsibility has fallen on the shoulders of Neil McCann, he seems quite relaxed so far and that isn't necessarily a bad thing if he can pass that on to the players as stress can lead to panic and mistakes.

The question is can he pull of The Great Escape with little managerial experience? He still has an experienced back room team and as a favourite son he'll have the support of the crowd. He needs the results to affirm that and keep the Dees in the top flight.

I hope he can pull it off but it's going to be an interesting few weeks. Good luck.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

Kevin Thomson on the Scotsman saying that it was the right decision to sack Hartley. Very interesting given that he and Scott Bain seem to be very good friends. Maybe PH had lost the dressing room after all?

Bain certainly didn't do any to dispel the rumours he wasn't getting on with Hartley by leaving Dens 5/10 minutes after Hartley's sacking, getting in the car with Kevin Holt and the two of them immediately laughing / giggling.  They could have been laughing about anything but given the press was about 10 metres away a simply straight face until around the corner would have been a better and more professional option IMO.

For those who can't be arsed reading -

The 'misses'

Arvid Schenk, Darryl Meggatt, Thomas Konrad, Nicky Low, Kevin Gomis, Danny Williams, Simon Ferry, Paul Heffernan, Luka Tankulic, Julen Etxabeguren, Yordi Teijsse, Riccardo Calder (loan), Michael Duffy (loan), Rory Loy, Alex Harris (loan), Paul Heffernan, Nick Ross, Henrik Ojamaa (loan), Tom Hateley, Phil Roberts, David Mitchell, Arturo (loan), Dylan Carreiro, Rhys Healey (loan), Grant Adam,

THE MY GOD, WHY? Marc Klok Klok was a bizarre signing from the last transfer window. How do you improve a bloated midfield group where every player is lightweight and very few can be relied on to perform consistently? Well, why not sign another lightweight midfielder who’s Scottish football pedigree was six appearances for a poor Ross County side? Not all that surprisingly, the Dutchman has already left the club.

9 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Good article in the Scotsman about Hartley's signings. I wouldn't completely agree with all the ratings but it's not far away and clearly highlights what went wrong.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/dundee/judging-all-44-of-paul-hartley-s-dundee-signings-1-4422618

A load of b@locks , how can he rate Scott Bain as excellent  after slating him.

The guys a buffoon

That list from Ludo makes grim reading.  Football Agents across the country will be shedding a tear or two over Hartley's departure.  Can't surely be many other managers that have given them so much buisiness in such a short space of time.

Edited by Shadow Play

6 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

The 'misses'

Arvid Schenk, Darryl Meggatt, Thomas Konrad, Nicky Low, Kevin Gomis, Danny Williams, Simon Ferry, Paul Heffernan, Luka Tankulic, Julen Etxabeguren, Yordi Teijsse, Riccardo Calder (loan), Michael Duffy (loan), Rory Loy, Alex Harris (loan), Paul Heffernan, Nick Ross, Henrik Ojamaa (loan), Tom Hateley, Phil Roberts, David Mitchell, Arturo (loan), Dylan Carreiro, Rhys Healey (loan), Grant Adam,

THE MY GOD, WHY? Marc Klok Klok was a bizarre signing from the last transfer window. How do you improve a bloated midfield group where every player is lightweight and very few can be relied on to perform consistently? Well, why not sign another lightweight midfielder who’s Scottish football pedigree was six appearances for a poor Ross County side? Not all that surprisingly, the Dutchman has already left the club.

Bit harsh on Ojamma and Konrad. IMO. and probably Healey, but thats about it.

Bit harsh with some of the 'misses' in my opinion.

Konrad was passable if you compare him to what we've had at CB this season, O'Dea aside.

Heffernan was brought in on a cheap, short-term contract to add an option, did what was expected, and duly left.

Ojamaa is just in the door and has been carrying a knock for ages. Too harsh to judge him on 3 months.

Mitchell is a cheap back-up who you are never expecting to play anyway.

8 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

The 'misses'

A terrifying amount of money spunked on wages and agents fees. Some truly terrible and pointless signings in amongst that lot. 

I think Hartley thought he had the magical ability to polish a turd. He didn't.

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

McDairmid is usually only a third full and yet we still have over 1MILLION in turnover more than the Dees :lol:

Yep, thats the secret Tam, we need to get out of Dens and move to Stadio Jocky, at Camperdown.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

McDairmid is usually only a third full and yet we still have over 1MILLION in turnover more than the Dees :lol:

it's tough for us, Tam. Usually teams look forward to home games against their rivals to bring in a bit of revenue however for some reason the last time Yinited came to visit only a handful of them showed up. No idea why.

Good article in the Scotsman about Hartley's signings. I wouldn't completely agree with all the ratings but it's not far away and clearly highlights what went wrong.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/dundee/judging-all-44-of-paul-hartley-s-dundee-signings-1-4422618

The best line though is:

Luka Tankulic may still be partying in a Dundee nightclub.

Lol'd at that.

[emoji28]

40 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

it's tough for us, Tam. Usually teams look forward to home games against their rivals to bring in a bit of revenue however for some reason the last time Yinited came to visit only a handful of them showed up. No idea why.

There'll be more the next time, might be sooner than you'd hoped though :lol:

A terrifying amount of money spunked on wages and agents fees. Some truly terrible and pointless signings in amongst that lot. 
I think Hartley thought he had the magical ability to polish a turd. He didn't.

I realise it's a bit hard on some players - I took FEB for that reason.

There are 26 players on that list - if we say they were on an average of £1k a week and stayed for a year, that's 1.3 Million.

That's a hoore of a money for us. Completely spunked. It would be interesting to count how many appearances between them.

13 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I realise it's a bit hard on some players - I took FEB for that reason.

There are 26 players on that list - if we say they were on an average of £1k a week and stayed for a year, that's 1.3 Million.

That's a hoore of a money for us. Completely spunked. It would be interesting to count how many appearances between them.

They weren't though. It's a pointless misappropriation that contains cheap loans, stop gap signings, emergency goalkeepers and development players (inconsistent definitions). The balance and first team players who we've committed to for significant lengths of time are more significant than the number of players.

It's shitty journalism and even if I was to negate that point, I think a lot of us would have arguments over some of the players it has categorised.

Edited by harry94