All things Dundee FC

You've lost me mate

I just don't understand what Williams bring. He's utter shite but I can see that he can play football to a better level than some other duds we have had in the past, but he doesn't even bring the enthusiasm that they brought to their roles at the club.

7 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Aye get rid of Mitchell. His clean sheets are shit. I use to hate the facts with Ian Davidson won more games than he lost when he played. What a tosser iye

I could see where you were coming from if he was solely responsible for the clean sheets after a series of wonder saves but I'm going to guess it was a combination of lack of shots and good defending that kept the scores at zero. 

The only reason he has one of the clean sheets is because the linesman didn't spot the ball going a foot over the line after he'd made a complete arse of it.

He might well turn out to be decent if he ever gets a run in the team but from what I've seen I'm not so sure. Some players bottle it as soon as they step up a level (see Daryll Meggatt*) and I fear he's in that category. 

*may just have been shite

Edited by Dee Man

Correct. He has brought zero so far to the club. And when he has been given a chance he has been poor.

I'm no disagreeing about Williams being shite, he might well be, but has he REALLY had a chance? Has any semi wide player REALLY had a chance under Hartley? He has signed a few, failed to play them regularly or give them a decent run, then he punts them.

18 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I'm no disagreeing about Williams being shite, he might well be, but has he REALLY had a chance? Has any semi wide player REALLY had a chance under Hartley? He has signed a few, failed to play them regularly or give them a decent run, then he punts them.

Hartley has tried to play with width a few times, the players he's signed to play wide have been brutal. Harris, Calder, Williams and Phil Roberts. Roberts was the only one with ability but his attitude put paid to him being a success.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Meggatt seems to be one of those players that just excelled at a particular club as I'm pretty sure the Ayr United fans think he's terrible too.

I think you could see fairly quickly that his footballing ability was well behind the rest of the team. I'd say he's Hartley's worst signing in the sense that he knew him quite well but he was just so far away from this level and we also had cover at left back (Irvine was still there at the start of the season) and then 4 centre backs. Every other outfield player he's brought in I could generally say something like 'demonstrated ability at this level but...' 'tidy footwork but...[lightweight/injury prone/slow]' but there just wasn't any single attribute he had that really offered anything.

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Harris

He put in a few good games (Aberdeen away, Motherwell away, Thistle home, Killie home off the top of the head) that I think are erased from the history books. If I recall correctly, he was doing fine and we were all OK with him (there was debate on his end product but most people were fairly positive that he brought something) until he took an injury up at Ross County and he returned a month later in a boring 1-1 against Aberdeen where he seemed to get absolutely slated for everything he did but contributed in our goal. He was then dropped for a tactical reason and didn't return to the starting line up until we played Celtic a couple of times (may have been a double header actually) and was pretty gutless against them.

I don't know why he seems to be really hated but he wasn't that bad a short term signing and we did OK from him. He was a very talented natural footballer with a bit of pace who had lost his way with a serious injury and had no confidence at all so was firing hot and cold.

Do think he might have done OK if he managed to persuade Hibs to rip up his contract that summer, I don't know why they are still holding onto him when he's not doing any development. When you see the videos of his breakthrough and how exciting a prospect he was, I could see why Hartley maybe wanted to mend him.

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Do you think the good defending happens only happens then if we have a less experienced goalkeeper in the goal as we have been leaking goals in all season. Soon as an inexperienced keeper is in goal we don't.
Do the defenders depend on Bain to much maybe ?

My goodness.

59 minutes ago, MarbellaDEE said:

Alright lads. Having a bit of difficulty trying to get tickets for the game tomorrow. It's saying online that I don't have enough points to buy tickets for the game. Anyone know how I can sort this? Will be travelling down from Aberdeen tomorrow. Cheers

Give the ticket office a call, they'll sort it if they can.

01382 889966

Edited by LiamDFC
Typo

Hartley has tried to play with width a few times, the players he's signed to play wide have been brutal. Harris, Calder, Williams and Phil Roberts. Roberts was the only one with ability but his attitude put paid to him being a success.

I had high hopes after the 1-1 Celtic game last season. Roberts and then Boyle were a joy to watch as was the way they went about things in general.

Our former loanee, Rhys Healey was just breaking into the Cardiff team as he'd played a part in their last 7 games. Anyways, just been confirmed he's out for 9 month with an injury. Double cruciate. Sickener for the lad.