All things Dundee FC

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aberdeens offer is the best financially for Preston, and the player trusts McInnes. He trusts Hartley aswell, but is still a Saints fan, and is still best mates with Saints fans, and understands the effect that would have. Both the player and the club see Aberdeens offer as the best offer, unless an English side comes in for him.

The original story was based on the Hartley connection. Why on Earth would he deny being in for what would be a massive, and ambitious, signing, when he can just act coy and get all the more gullible fans onside for being so bold?

Hardly "massive and ambitious". I can understand St Johnstone fans creaming themselves every time Stevie May's name gets mentioned but in the here and now the boy has scored 7 (seven) goals since he went down south 3 years ago. 

Hardly "massive and ambitious". I can understand St Johnstone fans creaming themselves every time Stevie May's name gets mentioned but in the here and now the boy has scored 7 (seven) goals since he went down south 3 years ago. 

Hes clearly a big signing for teams up here, especially at Dundees level.

Dunno like, St Johnstone were just ever so slightly above the level Dundee are at now and he was fit and firing them in when he was here last, not doing that now. He'd be 3rd choice striker at Aberdeen, 1st choice at Dens.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I'd like us to sign him but there's still an element of a gamble in it. "Massive and ambitious" is overstating it. 

I'd like us to sign him but there's still an element of a gamble in it. "Massive and ambitious" is overstating it. 

Of course theres a gamble, he had a career defining injury and likely has zero confidence, which was a huge part of his game as his technique was, in reality, pretty poor.

But he's a striker who scored nearly 30 goals up here, has moved for a combined £1.8m and has a Scotland cap, all within the last three years. He's still got reputation to spare, and I'd be surprised if anyone other than, Celtic wouldn't consider signing him.

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Dunno like, St Johnstone were just ever so slightly above the level Dundee are at now and he was fit and firing them in when he was here last, not doing that now. He'd be 3rd choice striker at Aberdeen, 1st choice at Dens.

He would more than likely be 2nd choice and probably start some games ahead of Rooney too - when fully fit he could probably be our first choice striker. 

Rooney hasn't been an automatic first pick this season - whether he should have been or not is a different story.

Rooney was a flop down south and he's now nearly scored 70 goals for Aberdeen in 3 years.

Edited by shootingboots

May has flopped down south just like Hemmings did first time down there. A move back up here for a few months like Hemmings did to bang in the goals could get his career back going in England.

We have no chance and Aberdeen would be a good move as it'll bring pressure to win every week like it would at Preston.

May has flopped down south just like Hemmings did first time down there. A move back up here for a few months like Hemmings did to bang in the goals could get his career back going in England.

We have no chance and Aberdeen would be a good move as it'll bring pressure to win every week like it would at Preston.

He's hardly flopped has he? First season spent adjusting and still scored nearly double figures, then gets a season finishing injury and hasn't played since. He was a better player than Hemings, don't know if he still is after injury.

15 minutes ago, Widge said:

He's hardly flopped has he? First season spent adjusting and still scored nearly double figures, then gets a season finishing injury and hasn't played since. He was a better player than Hemings, don't know if he still is after injury.

He scored 7 goals, m8. Stop trying to dress it up as something that it's not by saying "nearly double figures".

He scored 7 goals, m8. Stop trying to dress it up as something that it's not by saying "nearly double figures".

He averaged a goal every 352 minutes for Sheffield Wednesday, not horrendous in that team (his figures were, from memory, the second best strike rate of the forwards at the club that season), especially when you consider he was in and out the team

He averaged a goal every 352 minutes for Sheffield Wednesday, not horrendous in that team (his figures were, from memory, the second best strike rate of the forwards at the club that season), especially when you consider he was in and out the team

So...a goal in every 4 games basically? Presuming that he played full matches in that 352 minutes.

Combining fees and nearly hitting double figures? St. Johnstone fans are trying to big him up but are inadvertently making him become a bit of a joke.

Strangely I actually wanted Celtic to sign him instead when we were going for Griffiths. Griffiths was always going to be techincially better but I thought May would have handled playing for us better and been more of a professional. Glad I have been proven wrong but  I do hope May gets back to at least where he was a few seasons ago. 

A loan deal to somebody different up here could really get him going again though. I don't going back to Saints achieves a great deal in terms of ambition

Edited by gannonball

So...a goal in every 4 games basically? Presuming that he played full matches in that 352 minutes.

Well yeah, but that's a fairly poor way of looking at it.

To be honest, I don't care if we sign May. I don't believe he's anywhere near the level you suggest and I think he'd be doing well for himself to sign for Aberdeen on loan considering they don't need him and the past 3 years of his career.

He might well turn out to rip this league up again but he's far more of a risk than Hemmings was for us for example.

To be honest, I don't care if we sign May. I don't believe he's anywhere near the level you suggest and I think he'd be doing well for himself to sign for Aberdeen on loan considering they don't need him and the past 3 years of his career.

He might well turn out to rip this league up again but he's far more of a risk than Hemmings was for us for example.

TBF i was dead against us signing Goodwillie, so perhaps I'm too biased to see the same situation here

We wouldn't be paying anywhere near the wages he'll be on down south or even a fraction of them but signing May wouldn't excite me too much, one maybe two good seasons with saints and to me never looked 'class' as some players do, plenty of effort, was clearly brimming with confidence but always thought he had McLean to thank a lot for his scoring run......And he's a Fifer, enough said!!

1 hour ago, ravabelli said:

We wouldn't be paying anywhere near the wages he'll be on down south or even a fraction of them but signing May wouldn't excite me too much, one maybe two good seasons with saints and to me never looked 'class' as some players do, plenty of effort, was clearly brimming with confidence but always thought he had McLean to thank a lot for his scoring run......And he's a Fifer, enough said!!

Image result for sean bean horn