All things Dundee FC

We've been relatively tame tbf compared to Facebook, Mad and the other forum. They've been hounding Hartley for months to be sacked.

The same ones on Facebook etc complaining about St Mirren ticket prices? Even though we've tried to reduce prices in the past and the crowds still don't improve?

And charge ridiculous prices whilst having nonsensical ticketing arrangements in place. 
Have you seen the prices for the St Mirren cup game? Scandalous. 

Hello.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Hartley's undoubtedly fucked up this season. No arguments from me.

He has been backed well but he's the one that's enabled us to be able to back him by getting us back in the top flight and the cash that comes with that and also bringing in a few players that we've been able to sell on for cash. Therefore I don't entirely understand that argument.

Unless he gets us relegated he's got enough (or should have at least) enough goodwill in the bank to sort out his mess next season.

Time to rid us with the stigma that we are a sacking club.

High risk strategy Ludo. What if January passes and we get the usual "it's a difficult window" shite? 

We've looked utterly lost in terms of tactics, imagination and skill since Dingwall on day one.

1 minute ago, K.T said:

Even though we've tried to reduce prices in the past and the crowds still don't improve?

Last time we done it the game was in doubt, there were biblical proportion floods, pitch problems and the game was eventually rescheduled more than once if I remember correctly. Was never going to pull a decent crowd. They have got to waken up to the fact they're driving folk away from Dens with their pricing. Young adult and kids prices inparticualr are disgraceful in comparison to almost every other club in the league. 

13 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

You say , has Hartley spent to much.... surely he is not in charge of the finances ?
Is this fact or hear say?

It's fact that there is a set budget each season for playing staff is it not?  I personally think it is fair to assume that Hartley will have at least some knowledge as to what wages are being demanded by a potential new recruit for the following reason:

If I was the manager and told I only had £250,000 of new money (assuming players could not be sold on) to spend on new recruits and I knew I had to bring in at least 5 players to improve the squad I would surely have to known what wages any potential new recruit was requesting.

If for example St johnstone's Paul Paton (keeping it interesting for Random Guy!) was one of my targets I may be happy that he eats up (no pun intended) one tenth of my £250,000 budget.  If on the other hand Paton demanded £200,000 I would know I would have very little to play with for the further 4 new recruits I thought were essential to strengthen the squad and I would presumably work out that £200,000 is not value for money.

I know the above is oversimplifying it but surely it surely makes sense.  It does to me at least but what do I know about being a football manager?

I would also add that as manager it would be fair to assume I may not be privy to all the clauses in a contract eg sell on clauses etc, etc.

I've no idea who would replace him and I'd doubt the board do either. Who will Nelms actually know in the Scottish or indeed British or European game?

However it is undeniable that we are going backwards. As has already been said, too many gambles, too many projects.
He seems to stick by his players though, McGowan and McPake for example. Time for them to go through brick walls for him.

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

You've been asked before on a few occasions who you'd get as a replacement and you've never had an answer so until there is a decent alternative available then it's lunacy to consider punting the manager. 

And I have addressed that on every occasion.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Haha.  What if I had said it was ALMOST a reasonably good offer for Stewart?

Lets be honest here, it was a pile of pish. We should have told Birmingham to ram their add ons and shove it where the sun don't shine. Thank you.

Guys sorry to intrude, however be careful what you wish for.  we had Zoomers at Firhil calling for Archiebald to be sacked because we were languishing at the foot of the table.They were quoting Ian Murray or John Kennedy (Celtic) as replacements.

Hartley, looking from the outside, has done a decent job and no team at our level could cope with losing Hemmings, Stewart and Harkins, at least give him the January  window to get some new recruits.

46 minutes ago, Georgi's young lad said:

So you don't think Hartley has been well backed and you don't think we have the fifth largest playing budget in the league?

I think suggesting getting rid of Hartley for Alan Archibald is nuts. 

What are the Hartley out knicker wetters minimum expectations for the season and where would they be content for us to be sitting right now?

4 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

Guys sorry to intrude, however be careful what you wish for.  we had Zoomers at Firhil calling for Archiebald to be sacked because we were languishing at the foot of the table.They were quoting Ian Murray or John Kennedy (Celtic) as replacements.

Hartley, looking from the outside, has done a decent job and no team at our level could cope with losing Hemmings, Stewart and Harkins, at least give him the January  window to get some new recruits.

Problem is, he has signed over 40 players, and maybe had 5 good ones. He has also given 3 year contracts to some absolute diddys.

He has had almost 3 years, he looked very promising, but that has gone. The balance of the team is comical, the squad is awful, the tactics look dubious at best. 

Even with Hemmings, Stewart and Harkins we struggled, he has had his time, Hartley out ASAF.

2 minutes ago, srw said:

Problem is, he has signed over 40 players, and maybe had 5 good ones. He has also given 3 year contracts to some absolute diddys.

He has had almost 3 years, he looked very promising, but that has gone. The balance of the team is comical, the squad is awful, the tactics look dubious at best. 

Even with Hemmings, Stewart and Harkins we struggled, he has had his time, Hartley out ASAF.

Harsh........but probably fair as well.:(

10 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I think suggesting getting rid of Hartley for Alan Archibald is nuts. 

What are the Hartley out knicker wetters minimum expectations for the season and where would they be content for us to be sitting right now?

Exactly, it would cost a few quid to bin Pep and Archibald is six months through a three year contract so it would cost you a pretty penny. Even though he's a better manager, imo ;)