All things Dundee FC

On 16/11/2016 at 17:40, jagfox99 said:

On this day in 1991 Eddie Gallagher scored a hat trick against the Jags in a 6-2 win at Firhill.

IMG_20161116_172139.jpg

Worked out all right in the end as both teams got promoted.

Great wee player was Eddie. Thank you. 

I thought he'd "only" got two and his hat-trick had come in the first half of a 4-1 away drubbing of Accies. Must have that the wrong way round. That Thistle game was tremendous, as an added bonus it was Sportscene's game on Saturday night. We were 2-1 down approaching H/T and scored 2 in 2 mins, one being the result of a weird goalkeeping error after a passback from Jim Duffy. I had it on VHS for about three years until my lucky-to-still-be-alive sister taped over it with Eastenders. 

I think Kevin Bremner also got a couple and John McQuillan thumped home a decent effort as well. I also went to the second Firhill fixture that season. We were absolutely shite and lost 0-2.

4 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I thought he'd "only" got two and his hat-trick had come in the first half of a 4-1 away drubbing of Accies. Must have that the wrong way round. That Thistle game was tremendous, as an added bonus it was Sportscene's game on Saturday night. We were 2-1 down approaching H/T and scored 2 in 2 mins, one being the result of a weird goalkeeping error after a passback from Jim Duffy. I had it on VHS for about three years until my lucky-to-still-be-alive sister taped over it with Eastenders. 

I think Kevin Bremner also got a couple and John McQuillan thumped home a decent effort as well. I also went to the second Firhill fixture that season. We were absolutely shite and lost 0-2.

That goalkeeping thing rings a bell. At first I thought it was to do with the passback rule but that didn't come in till a few years letter.

I'm sure Jim Duffy was raging in the paper at Andy Murdoch with some kinda answer machine message based headline along the lines of 'hi Andy here, I'm not able to speak at the moment.  Just leave the ball in the back of the net and I'll get back to it later'.

Worked out well in the long run as Craig Nelson came in and we went on a decent run up until playing Farfar on the final day.

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

That goalkeeping thing rings a bell. At first I thought it was to do with the passback rule but that didn't come in till a few years letter.

I'm sure Jim Duffy was raging in the paper at Andy Murdoch with some kinda answer machine message based headline along the lines of 'hi Andy here, I'm not able to speak at the moment.  Just leave the ball in the back of the net and I'll get back to it later'.

Worked out well in the long run as Craig Nelson came in and we went on a decent run up until playing Farfar on the final day.

My memory is patchy, but I think the following happened:

Duffy passed it back to Murdoch, no attacker closing it down, Murdoch stopped the passback with his hands without actually collecting the ball, advanced a few yards with the ball at his feet before picking it up to kick from hand. When he picked it up (touching it with his hand again), that was the offence. Indirect free kick a few yards out and Gallagher scored in the resulting stramash. Duffy was initially seething at the ref, then after the goal, seething at the 'keeper. 

ETA: Did Thistle lose to Forfar? I can't remember your result. I know we lost in hilarious fashion 1-2 at home to fucking Montrose on the last day :lol:

Edited by jupe1407

12 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Did Thistle lose to Forfar? I can't remember your result. I know we lost in hilarious fashion 1-2 at home to fucking Montrose on the last day :lol:

Nah, we held on for a nervy 0-0 despite Jim Duffy chopping down Gary Whyte for what should have been a penalty. Hung on for a pitchy though.

ETA: So the passback rule would have been in place by then?

51 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Nah, we held on for a nervy 0-0 despite Jim Duffy chopping down Gary Whyte for what should have been a penalty. Hung on for a pitchy though.

ETA: So the passback rule would have been in place by then?

No, i'm sure that came in either the following season or the one after. I think Murdoch's offence was some sort of violation of the "four steps" thing, or possible some rule about handling the ball twice in the same bout of possession. f**k knows. Perhaps Firhill was just a place for mental refereeing decisions in the early 90s :lol:

ETA: Brought in 1992, it would have started in the Prem the season after the above one. 

Edited by jupe1407

Not heard anything online and don't read the papers but who's an injury doubt for Saturday?

Nicky Low is an injury doubt for most Saturdays and it seems this one is no exception. Apart from that Jordi and O'Hara, although I don't think O'Hara even makes it into the "doubt" category.

On 11/17/2016 at 17:36, Chateau Lafite said:

I'd love to see CW33 roast the Ibroxians and bang in a few. (Even though such a delight would provoke his leaving to Crawley or somewhere humiliating like that. )
However I'd settle for a point!

I'll have a whip round to rescue him if he ends up at Crawley! 

I was having a conversation with my mates yesterday about stadiums we haven't been to in Scotland. I've only got about 7 still to go to but I was thinking when was the chance I missed to go to these stadiums and the three that I couldn't think of is Berwick, Albion Rovers and Elgin. I had a look at the Masters post on the infowire section and seen we last played Berwick in 80/81, Albion Rovers 69/70 and apparently we've never played Elgin?

Maybe a few of the older guys have been to the two former stadiums but has anyone been to Elgins?

Sure it's something to do with a registration issue as he's under 18 and it was originally a cross border transfer.  I know someone who knows him. Dundee wanted him to hang about until it's sorted, but there's no real time frame and could potentially be a year so he wants to go back south and play.