All things Dundee FC

I'm not bothered by the DAB's reasoning.  It's true that teams get themselves in to such a position from results over a season and not just one game.  It doesn't detract from the fact that we were the ones that put them to the sword and in the most brutal, last minute, take that ye basturd fashion.  :thumsup2

Edited by rainbowrising

Andreu only went to United cus they paid for him to come. I heard there was a sizeable fee involved. As soon as Dundee knew there was a fee the interest was dropped.
So, DABs, he didn't CHOOSE to go to United. The money did.

United needed that signing.. Hibs are going to boss that league and have had made a high number of high profile signings. I see this as more of a way of appeasing united fans than any sign of intent. United know they won't win the league this year.

United needed that signing.. Hibs are going to boss that league and have had made a high number of high profile signings. I see this as more of a way of appeasing united fans than any sign of intent. United know they won't win the league this year.

Fair dos but I would suggest we also need a signing. They got one, and we have at the moment goals from a midfielder at set pieces. If there's no improvement after the international. break then I for one will be starting to sweat.

11 minutes ago, dd23 said:

Fair dos but I would suggest we also need a signing. They got one, and we have at the moment goals from a midfielder at set pieces. If there's no improvement after the international. break then I for one will be starting to sweat.

Sweat about what?

We've not replaced the goals of last season, but we've only not scored in one of the 4 games we've played in the league so far. We're averaging more than a goal a game. We're not as easy on the eye this season, and I reckon that's going to upset a few of our 'oh too easily' upset fans. However, we're still comfortably not relegation material and our results so far reflect that.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sweat about what?

We've not replaced the goals of last season, but we've only not scored in one of the 4 games we've played in the league so far. We're averaging more than a goal a game. We're not as easy on the eye this season, and I reckon that's going to upset a few of our 'oh too easily' upset fans. However, we're still comfortably not relegation material and our results so far reflect that.

We weren't "easy on the eye" very often last season either. I'd happily take a more workman like approach playing to our strengths rather than trying to play a system that the players struggle to adapt to consistently.

1 hour ago, dd23 said:

I think you might be right in being slightly apprehensive, I can't see us making a credible challenge for the title this season.

I'm also pretty nervous at how we'll fair this season, but that's probably more a fear of the unknown than anything else. Much of our squad is unproven, and I'm not convinced we've added enough depth to the squad to compete for similar results to last season, but I'm more than happy with most of Hartleys signings, to be honest. If we look at it objectively, we've not done too badly:

Faissal El Bakhtaoui — could be great
Kevin Gomis — could be great
Mark O'Hara — could be great

James Vincent — not convinced he's an improvement on last season, but looks fairly solid
Michael Duffy — as above

Danny WIlliams — has looked awful the few times I've seen him IMO, really don't like his style of play, but I'm hoping he'll shut my puss and prove me wrong. Was better in the second half against Celtic, but that first half performance was as bad as I've seen in a Dundee shirt.

Yordi Teijsse — not expecting anything from him, this was a total gamble and not a serious contender for 1st team IMO. 

Couple those with establish players like Bain, McGowan and O'Dea and we have a decent spine to build on. Still a few players short, but the quality of the league is pretty terrible and I'd hope we'd avoid the relegation cluggfest. Yes, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen look stronger, but we were never going to compete with them this season, especially after we failed to make the right half of the split last season. We've also still got the likes of Wighton to come into the team and hopefully win a place this season.

Couple that with the fact that Stewart and Hemmings essentially came from nowhere, and I don't think you can be too critical of how we're running our affairs.

As a support, I think we need to get real. We'll be very lucky to scrape the top six this year (I'd be utterly amazed if that happened, in all honesty), but I'd also suspect we've got enough quality throughout the team to stay away from the bottom 2-3. Anywhere between 7th-9th is realistically where we'll end up. 

There are enough reasons to be positive. Here are three:

We're not a set of minging, dayglo-clad binrakers. We didn't get relegated by our neighbours. And we certainly don't have to look at Willo Flood's gnarly coupon every week.

Eh.

Sweat about what?

Sweat about this season being a struggle. I don't think it's unfair to take that out of the results we've had against the teams we've played. Struggle may mean different things and it's quite reasonable to say that we may not have gelled yet, but I don't think we've played anyone who's going to be any higher than lower reaches of the top six. Fair enough I didn't see the first game of the season so I don't have that to temper my reaction to the games that have followed.

Too much negativity about the lack of a further signing during the transfer window, although I also worry about lack of a good striker.  I'd rather we kept the cash than spend on a player that Hartley does not have faith in.  

Remember, Nicky Low comming back from injury will be like a new signing.............I'm just not sure whether he will be like a good new signing or a bad new signing!

19 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Too much negativity about the lack of a further signing during the transfer window, although I also worry about lack of a good striker.  I'd rather we kept the cash than spend on a player that Hartley does not have faith in.  

Remember, Nicky Low comming back from injury will be like a new signing.............I'm just not sure whether he will be like a good new signing or a bad new signing!

Thought he looked decent after the Motherwell game before Christmas and seemed to finally look like he was match fit (his previous cameos were pretty poor).  Seems to be totally cursed though which is a shame.

On 2 September 2016 at 04:37, Dee Man said:

Absolutely raging and still not able to handle the truth of Beautiful Monday:

Screenshot_20160902-113233.jpg

Don't forget major turning points as being a factor in your relegation Mishtergrolsch.  Step forward McPake with his last second leveller!

By poor management I take it you are very much including your Chairman (who is still in the same role - just no longer taking his £100,000 salary).  I remember him announcing shortly after Beautiful Monday that he was actively looking to sell the club.  Any developments there?

23 minutes ago, bobbycoxblue said:

Was feeling rather down with no footy this weekend..... then realised we could be playing peterhead in the challenge cup..

Thank fek we have no footy this weekend emoji3.pngemoji14.png

We would have lost to them, again, so thank goodness we've only got the Malta game to loo forward to this weekend...

Looking forward to my annual trip to Dundee next Saturday, several scoops on the choo choo, followed by several scoops in Dundees' grandest watering holes always lend towards a good away day, pretty safe to say we will chase the game all over the park as that seemed to work for us last week, probably end up a draw, then back down the hill, having more scoops, before train and, yes, more scoops!