All things Dundee FC

He's had two full seasons under Tam Ritchie to get fit so can't use that as an excuse. It says more about the player himself and possibly his diet if he isn't 'fit' by now.

Correct.

Apparently a bidding war has started between a few English clubs for Stewart. A bid from another club that was higher than the £300,000 from Birmingham was rejected.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

I have been informed Deeboy has been banned!

Just now, Louis Litt said:

Why?

Grassy Danger reported him for calling Davie Bhoy a beast I think...

Greg Stewart isn't half fit, unfit or anything like it.

You could potentially say he's lazy but IMO he's told to loiter upfield in space rather than waste energy tracking back.

Think it was Killie he ran 3/4 the length of the park at a sprint in the last minute before skinning 2 boys and scoring.

He's not ' half fit '. The points posted by Harry are very pertinent. He's nothing like at the level of fitness he should be for a professional footballer of his age but he's not played professional football from young enough to be able to achieve that.

Personally I think Hartleys ability to take an unproven player and make him play to a higher level should he lauded. Think next door now have a manager of that ilk too and it's clearly the way forward for clubs of our sizes who aren't going to attract a 6 figure season ticket buying home base of fans like other, larger clubs can.

51 minutes ago, Moo said:

He's had two full seasons under Tam Ritchie to get fit so can't use that as an excuse. It says more about the player himself and possibly his diet if he isn't 'fit' by now.

Unlike most players you sign from down the leagues, Stewart hasn't actually played in full-time football at all (generally, players start off at that level and fall down for a couple of seasons) and he's went into it at 24. It's completely understandable that he's a bit behind his peers. He is fit to an acceptable level but it is something which, if improved, would kick him on.

Bigger clubs though hire multiple people in this area and have the technology to be a lot more advanced with this sort of things. We've got Tam Ritchie who has done well with our squad but he's only one guy and there are many many more who have greater resources available and have more recent and advanced qualifications that may  take someone like Stewart to the next level.

Greg Stewart isn't half fit, unfit or anything like it.

You could potentially say he's lazy but IMO he's told to loiter upfield in space rather than waste energy tracking back.

Think it was Killie he ran 3/4 the length of the park at a sprint in the last minute before skinning 2 boys and scoring.

Totally agree. This he was 'part time' so isn't as fit as others is total nonsense.

I don't think our team is particularly fit, he's no worse than anyone else, in fact fitter than some.

Are we talking aerobic fitness or strength?

Foreign players take a year to get fit?!?!

They may take a year to get used to the breakneck rush our game is played at but that's not because they are not as 'fit' as Scottish or British players.

Yeah fair enough but I'm sure the club realised this and would have game him a specific program to get himself fit. Not exactly the same scenario but something like Hartley & Ritchie gave McPake so get over his back problems.

I agree more with Deefiant in we know he's fit but comes across as more lazy more than anything. He has improved since he first came to the club as he does track back a lot more now. As fans we want to see all eleven players kicking their c**t in but Stewart can justify being lazy at times as he's that good a player and change a game at any minute.

Edit: I agree if he does go down south, he will come stronger and more physically fit due to the resources and facilities down there.

I think it's nonsense to suggest Greg isn't fit and that it's because he didn't go full time until he's 24. Come on, seriously? 

If Ross Wallace is turning out week in, week out for 6th in the Championship Sheffield Wednesday I'm certain Greg Stewart can. Ross would be s decent enough replacement for Greg but not as good as.