All things Dundee FC

Dundee remind me of the dundee utd team of a few season ago. They have 3 very good players (Bain, Stewart and Hemmings) which masks the average nature of the rest of the squad. United were similar, although could argue they had more than 3. Will be interesting to see what happens if/when these 3 leave.

Every single year I say this cup is an embarrassment and I personally could not give two fucks about it. Every single year people get their knickers in a massive bunch about going out of it. Every year (the last three) we've had decent enough seasons come the end. 

Why would you treat it like that? It's one of only 2 cups Dundee can ever win?

Eta: same for every other premiership team bar Celtic or Rangers mind you. But bizarre you'd see one of the 3 major cups, one of 2 you can win as an embarrassment? Us diddies, League 1/2 clubs can say that as we will never win it. Perfect cup for teams like Dundee though?

Because it's an absolutely laughable competition. As the folk who run it have shown quite clearly this season. 

No, what they've done is give clubs like Arbroath a bit of a payday and interest and made a format that will get them out asap so they can have the final this side of Christmas.

The last 16 still remains the same and it's heavily weighted so the top teams make it to this stage.

The League, The Scottish and The League cup are the 3 major trophies in Scotland. No idea why a Dundee fan is writing it off when it's one of the only 2 they can win. Don't get it, looking in from the outside it seems daft.

Because it's an absolutely laughable competition. As the folk who run it have shown quite clearly this season. 

To be fair, compared to the challenge cup, this competition makes a lot of sense.

The only thing i would change is that teams should be allowed more subs. Other than that, I think it has been a good addition. Makes pre-season mildly more interesting

Appears that PH feels the same about this competition as you do.

PH states he wants to win a trophy at Dundee and yet he treats this competition with utter contempt.

Fed up of his saying the words "pre season" or "two weeks away".

The season started on 16th July if PH wanted more time to prepare his players he should have arranged more friendly matches.

Another embarrassing result under the management of PH to add to the catalogue.

Would never berate the players the way it apparently happened last night but PH needs to get back to basics and get this team organised quick.

I'm in no way trying to defend the team but having been at the East Fife and Dumbarton games, I have been at least encouraged by every new signing and think that O'Hara and Williams have the potential to be great signings.

It's worth noting that in any other group competition that doesn't have the penalty shootout, we would be going in to the Forfar match knowing a win would be enough for us to win the group providing Peterhead don't win against a team in a higher division than them.

We are also not the only top team to have struggled with the time of year whether people like to acknowledge it or not:

Ayr 2-1 Hamilton
Stirling Albion 1-0 Falkirk
Alloa 3-2 Ross County
Ross County lost to Raith on penalties and are also out.
Inverness lost to United on penalties.
Kilmarnock 0-2 Morton
St Johnstone lost to Brechin on penalties.

Being 23, I've never seen Dundee win a major trophy and we've barely come close in that time, but I would take our current situation over what has happened in the last 20 years any day.

I'm also waiting for everyone to jump on the players back after the league season kicks off but if we get 1 point from a trip to Dingwall and an OF match, I'll be delighted.

A large section of our support will never be happy. After we relegated United at Dens I met a guy outside who's first words to me were "I thought Wighton had a poor game tonight". And he was being serious.

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Reading elsewhere that Greg Stewart 'Sssh'ed' our fans when he scored and Paul McGowan at the end was shouting at fans saying that some boys are actually scared to do anything with the ball out of fear of the abuse they'll receive if they misplace it etc.

You can understand the logic there. 

Players are only human and will misplace passes or decide to shoot when they should have squared etc. But if you play in front of fans where a vocal section berates you every time it happens, then it ends up being catch-22. 

There's one guy I always overhear who criticises literally everything - even goals ("about time" or similar). Player receives a pass - moaned at for not then passing it on quickly; player shoots from a decent position - moaned at for shooting instead of making a nonexistent pass; player makes an inch-perfect cross-field pass - moaned at for  "a long ball". 

It's mintertastic and almost St Mirren-esque.

As a 53 year old,my highlights of watching Dundee for almost 45 years is 2 league cup finals,1good(hardly remembered), 1 awful (well remembered), 1 Scottish cup final, and an unforgettable trip to Peruggia. 2 (hardly great achievements) challenge cup wins, and a few memorable games(semi finals,relegation derby etc.).Some Dundee fans seem to have an Old Firm esque sense of entitlement, where we are now is certainly in a far better position than we have been for the majority of my time following this club. Yes a cup run would be welcome, but after only 2 years back in the top flight some people need to get real and remember where we've been for the past few years and get behind the team on the park.

Yeah, this. We seem to have a section of 'SUPPORTERS' hate the term fans, for whom the concept of SUPPORT is alien. The clown with the megaphone voice in the South enclosure who assumes his version of play is correct simply because he can boom it out like a regi (mental) sergeant major and then berates anyone taking him to task 'cos he piyed his money really needs to take a look at himself.
I could easily imagine the players saying to each other, 'hard luck, you're in front of the nutter this half, my turn second half though'
There also appears to be a collective mentality that decides who's gonna be getting it hard each season.
FFS, try being a team supporter for a while, it may help the team and the manager !

There's a video on Facebook of McGowan agreeing with the fans there last night that losing that game was embarrassing and O'Dea ushers him away.

Quite the difference from Liam Kennedy's 'MCGOWAN ARGUES WITH FANS AND SKIPPER DRAGS HIM AWAY' dramatisation of events. 

52 minutes ago, Deeboy said:

There's a video on Facebook of McGowan agreeing with the fans there last night that losing that game was embarrassing and O'Dea ushers him away.

Quite the difference from Liam Kennedy's 'MCGOWAN ARGUES WITH FANS AND SKIPPER DRAGS HIM AWAY' dramatisation of events. 

FUCKING SHITE

I would never call for Hartley to be sacked at this stage, partly because we need stability and sacking managers every other year isn't going to achieve that, and party because there are no credible candidates out there in our price range. It's a shambles that we're (more than likely) out the cup already without a doubt, and Hartley has to take a lot of the blame for that. He also has to take the blame for the fact our defensive record and our away record is so poor. There's no hiding from that. This is a big season for us this year and he needs to get it right.

Hartley is the best manager we have had in years! Here is a list of a few, take your pick between Hartley and one of this lot;

Rae

Duffy

Chisolm

Brown

Kernaghan 

Scott

Smith

It is a shite start to the season but things could be a whole lot worse!

1 hour ago, The Master said:

It's mintertastic and almost St Mirren-esque.

Having seen the video of your fans levelling bile at McGowan last night after the full time whistle and McGowan trying to placate said bile splitters, I'd say you, as a support, have surpassed even us in terms of vitriolic abuse at players representing the club.