All things Dundee FC

I'm positive there is no need to be negative at this stage of the season.  

One concern though - the result and performance today will not help encourage further sales of season tickets.  Neither will the fact that already two of our home games are live on TV with a lunch time kickoff.

Poor game in awful conditions. East Fife scored with their 1st effort at goal which was a great strike from a freekick which wasabout 25 yards out into the top corner. Never a freekick imo. Saying that we had very few efforts at goal as well. The game was played at far too slow a pace despite Hartley trying to get them to speed the play up and get forward early with it. Kept the ball between the defence and midfield 2 without going anywhere for large parts of the game. The East Fife keeper had 2 great penalty saves from decent penalties hit low into the corners, he also got a hand to Hemmings penalty as well  

Pick of the new signings was Williams when he actually got the ball, which wasn't very often. Not too impressed with the rest tho but it's early days. Duffy never the answer playing behind a loan striker though, would much prefer Wighton there who was wasted out on the left  

Not sure Cammy's the answer at fullback either, far better as a wing back. 

13 hours ago, srw said:

Its too early for negativity, but Hartley is a twat.

Poor signings, we need Harkins playing, negative style of play. Cant stand Hartley.

Too early for negativity. Proceeds to be negative.

The game was played at far too slow a pace despite Hartley trying to get them to speed the play up and get forward early with it.

This.

Still in friendly mode. Should have been a lot more direct with our play. If we spent the first half using the conditions in the way that East Fife did, I think we would have taken a couple of goal lead.

Suppose it's to be expected at this stage though. Hopefully acts as a wake up call and we do a professional job at home.

Do agree with a lot of what has been said re the positions of our players in the attacking 3 and also Kerr. Will be a problem if it keeps happening into the season but hopefully a bit of tweaking comes.

Early days and no idea how this season will go but not been over excited by any of the signings if honest and if yesterday had been old format league cup we'd  be out of one competition already 

Not necessarily as there would have been another 30 minutes extra time.

19 hours ago, srw said:

Its too early for negativity, but Hartley is a twat.

Poor signings, we need Harkins playing, negative style of play. Cant stand Hartley.

OYF :lol::lol: love a wind up.. 

'Dinna want tae be negative' then reverts to name calling the manager:thumsup2

Wasn't there yesterday but a little worried that we're still making the same mistakes and still having the same difficulties we were last season, and even the season before. I thought we had sorted out the width issue with Williams and Duffy signing but reading this thread it appears we had Duffy through the middle and Williams wide right cutting inside. Absolute nonsense if true.

1 hour ago, an-dee said:

Wasn't there yesterday but a little worried that we're still making the same mistakes and still having the same difficulties we were last season, and even the season before. I thought we had sorted out the width issue with Williams and Duffy signing but reading this thread it appears we had Duffy through the middle and Williams wide right cutting inside. Absolute nonsense if true.

It is true and it's a worry. 

Right back and Right midfielder is my priorities. 

Gowser and Ross will be the central 2 of our midfield, which isn't a worry for me. 

On 1st showing Duffy isn't a patch on GGH but if rumours are true that him and Hartley have had words PH had to show him who's boss. 

Cammy struggled yesterday where McGinn would have probably had strolled through that game. I know it was just one game and the majority of the team played badly but Cammy looked out of his depth yesterday and struggled against lower league opposition more so physically than anything.

I'd still like us to sign another right back and use Cammy as back up to Holt and a new right back if we sign one.

I wasnt impressed with Hartley last season, and nothing has changed. We are far too negative, I doubt anyone can deny that. Signing two bit part players from Inverness, and an unwanted Kilmarnock player isnt exactly going to lead to great things.

I wasnt impressed with Hartley last season, and nothing has changed. We are far too negative, I doubt anyone can deny that. Signing two bit part players from Inverness, and an unwanted Kilmarnock player isnt exactly going to lead to great things.

I'd deny that. I'd argue we are too positive if anything and it's led to us getting some pumping when it's not clicked.

I'd also suggest signing a goalkeeper from Alloa, a striker from Cowdenbeath and an unwanted St Mirren player a few seasons ago were shocking pieces of management too.

40 minutes ago, srw said:

image.jpeg

I'm fairly sure Duffy was signed as a 'second striker' and Williams has basically went in where Stewart was the past two years and that's never been seen as nonsense.

I was under the impression Duffy played more as a wide player, but might be wrong. I don't know much about him. He's probably more comfortable out wide than Wighton though which was kinda my point. Regarding Williams, he definitely is a winger, but wasn't played as a winger yesterday, or a traditional winger anyway which is what we lacked last season (from what I've read on here). That's what I was referring to as 'nonsense'.