Lowland League Cup

HibeeJibee

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Magoo, where have I said the whole world is against us, is my writing that difficult to read you just make up the bits you struggle to understand? Now are you in the arses section or not?

:)

Grimbo

the part where everyman and there dog can see Spartans have made an arse off it. Hold ur hands up and move on.not a ramble about keepers and eye patches and how everyone would be up in arms about that also.if the same mistake was made by ww,city Gretna the same people would be posting the same stuff at the same level....

Magoo, where have I said the whole world is against us, is my writing that difficult to read you just make up the bits you struggle to understand? Now are you in the arses section or not?

:)

Grimbo

uproar, gloating falling over themselves.....aye u don't think the world is against you.....

the part where everyman and there dog can see Spartans have made an arse off it. Hold ur hands up and move on.not a ramble about keepers and eye patches and how everyone would be up in arms about that also.if the same mistake was made by ww,city Gretna the same people would be posting the same stuff at the same level....

The managers comments on the website don't come over well at all. Blaming the rules etc when you've broken them is petty. Not knowing whether a player has signed or not ( and I'm gonna assume that the player never knew either or else a simple question solves it) is below amateur. He's 'fronting up' with the I take responsibility stuff then blaming other things!

In another note, he talks about playing 'meaningless games' ? Eh? Only the last two or three became meaningless when EK secured second. Needs to have a look into opinion.

We have & we are. I have posted twice now that I am going to watch Musselburgh on Saturday now.

I also wished both teams the best of luck on Saturday in the Cup.

I just report the facts. Ha ha.

Grimbo

You going to mussy game to watch a Spartans goalie sit on the bench

You going to mussy game to watch a Spartans goalie sit on the bench

Lol. Out of interest grim why was the eos goalie allowed to go to mussy on loan just to sit on the bench,when he plays every week with the eos team? Seems even stranger that Spartans are struggling for keepers just now and he is still not been recalled? Not trying to be smart was just wondering if there was a specific reason for this?

Lol. Out of interest grim why was the eos goalie allowed to go to mussy on loan just to sit on the bench,when he plays every week with the eos team? Seems even stranger that Spartans are struggling for keepers just now and he is still not been recalled? Not trying to be smart was just wondering if there was a specific reason for this?

Good point.

I'm guessing they've got that many signed it's hard to keep up :D

Canny believe it's happened again,will get to the point where no matter what cup they play in it will have to be checked,checked and checked again in case the make a James Hunt of it,sorry Grim lad but there's just no excuse mate.

The Junior Cup final, apparently there's some folk think it's a big deal.

Grimbo

Patches posts this...

"Officially confirmed, Spartans have been expelled from the league cup. EK now at home to Preston."

And all the arses come out...

Cheetaz

Hahahahahaha

Joke of a club to my knowledge this is at least the 4th time they have made an off field error in past 4/5 years, and again hahahahaha

This is very poor from the club who aim to be the best run in the LL and have aspirations of making it to the SPFL. If this was the first time it happened then I'd say it was a silly mistake but how many times can it happen? Surely it's not the chairman's job to do the team lines?

This is very poor from the club who aim to be the best run in the LL and have aspirations of making it to the SPFL. If this was the first time it happened then I'd say it was a silly mistake but how many times can it happen? Surely it's not the chairman's job to do the team lines?

There are others but it doesn't allow me to post them all in a oner.

But if you read the thread fully there's plenty that aren't gloating nor falling over themselves to do us down.

Not the whole world are arses, I never claimed them to be.

Grimbo

The Junior Cup final, apparently there's some folk think it's a big deal.

Grimbo

That's why he hasn't been recalled?

What was the purpose of sending him down there to sit on the bench in first place though?

That's why he hasn't been recalled?

What was the purpose of sending him down there to sit on the bench in first place though?

Soz I'm no big follower of the juniors, so I cannae say if he's only been on the bench or not?

Grimbo

Seems harsh punishment to me to throw Spartans out of the competition.OK can't list a trialist, as the player was not called on and it has had no impact on the result I think that should have been taken into account.

As someone else asked, who noticed the error? Are the match officials not aware of the rules, after all they get handed the team sheets, or are they not allowed to point out errors. It wouldn't be the first time a referee hasn't been aware of the competition rules.

Why do our competitions have different rules anyway.

Whats the real difference between a 'trialist' or a 'on loan' player neither are really the clubs personnel.

One query, a poster seemed to mention, it could have been worse and been the final, surely that has not happened before, or has it?

Cup final. Scottish cup. League cup now.....any more

I'm sure there was another too?

One query, a poster seemed to mention, it could have been worse and been the final, surely that has not happened before, or has it?

I think some people have been confusing or conflating of 2 or more of the 3/4 previous instances. For clarity:

* on 17 May 2008 Spartans won the EOS League Cup Final by 1-0 over Whitehill Welfare. However, they'd brought on sub Kenny Young, who had played 4 ties for Edinburgh City earlier in the competition. Spartans lost the title with Whitehill declared winners in their stead. - http://www.scotsman.com/sport/spartans-risk-being-stripped-of-cup-after-fielding-young-1-1259729

* on 6 Dec 2008 Elgin beat Spartans in the Scottish Cup but got in trouble as one of their players, in fact their goalkeeper, had signed after the date of the original attempt at the tie. Which had been postponed. It was then discovered that Spartans player Dean Hoskins wasn't registered for them - as I recall he'd been sent out to their Amateur team to recover from an injury and hadn't been re-registered for the Senior team? Tie was annulled and ordered replayed. - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/7773110.stm

* on 22 Oct 2011 Spartans beat Culter 2-0 in the Scottish Cup. However, they played Keith McLeod, over whom there was some error on his form. Spartans expelled, Culter reinstated and put through. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15466092

* they were also expelled from the South Challenge Cup and thus Lothian Thistle, whom Spartans beat 3-2 in R2 with McLeod featuring, were reinstated and put through.

* it seems that on 2 May 2015 Spartans beat Preston 4-0 in the Lowland League Cup Ko R1 but had listed Mark Cairns who wasn't registered. Spartans expelled, Preston reinstated and put through. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32603123

What happened with the cup final in 2008 was a cup-tied player, not an unregistered one. And 2011 was 2 expulsions but only 1 cause.

Are the match officials not aware of the rules, after all they get handed the team sheets, or are they not allowed to point out errors. It wouldn't be the first time a referee hasn't been aware of the competition rules.

I don't think referees have ever been tasked with approving team-lines. Refs wouldn't have a clue whether or not a player was cup-tied, hadn't been registered, was suspended, and so on - all of which are other ways a player could be listed in error - so I doubt it could help the problem.

Why do our competitions have different rules anyway.

It's common practice in cups that players have to be registered (i.e. triallists are not allowed). It used to be universal, but a couple of years ago the SPFL Challenge Cup was given permission to have them in R1 and I read that the Scottish Youth Cup has allowed them from this season.

In the EOSL the 'League Cup groups' have been separated as a new competition, the EOS Qualifying League, to allow trialists and avoid cup-tieing.

A player who played FOUR times in the early rounds? Amazed at some

People at this level- that's outrageous that someone can play four times and not know- or that you can sign someone mid season and not so the checks to see what they are available for.

I dug-out my copy of the SNLR to check exactly what happened with the cup-tieing in 2008... It was 4 groupstage games for City tbf, not knockout ties.

p48

Spartans won the League Cup defeating Whitehill Welfare 1-0 in the Final but almost immediately after the match it became clear that Spartans substitute Kenny Young (who came on for the last quarter of an hour) had played in four of Edinburgh City's five Group Stage games earlier in the season. As a result Spartans returned the trophy and medals and Whitehill Welfare were declared winners. It is not anticipated that Spartans will suffer any further sanctions.

EDIT: Since then the EOS League Cup has always been knockout. In 2011 the EOS Qualifying League was founded and acts like a groupstage.

Archived