Lowland League Cup

HibeeJibee

We were lucky to come away with a win today. To be honest I am happy to see the back of Threave this season (apart from the supporters and committee who are spot on).

The team seem to bring out the poor performances from us while they seem to raise their games against us. If Threave play every week like what they have played in the three games against Gretna this season, they would be nowhere near the bottom of the league.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any advantage to winning the group rather than just qualifying? I am thinking of our postponed match against Dalbeattie. Is the replay a meaningless match or will the group winners get a home draw in the all in round?

It's a good question... I'd imagine there will be some advantage, either that the group winners will be drawn at home against the runners-up, or at least that the group winners will be kept apart. Make sense.

Is there any advantage to winning the group rather than just qualifying? I am thinking of our postponed match against Dalbeattie. Is the replay a meaningless match or will the group winners get a home draw in the all in round?

there's 3 toonies wi ww and Preston yet lets regionize a league cup.

Its almost as good as the south cup.

why dont we have the star v Gretna in the next round ;)

I'm glad you edited that post I couldn't quite get your point in the original one.

I wasn't talking of not playing the last match. I was just wondering if there is anything at stake in the remaining match.

Yes we have a below par performance, score a scrappy goal in the last five minutes and yet we qualify. Such is life.

I'm glad you edited that post I couldn't quite get your point in the original one.

I wasn't talking of not playing the last match. I was just wondering if there is anything at stake in the remaining match.

Yes we have a below par performance, score a scrappy goal in the last five minutes and yet we qualify. Such is life.

Neither could I check oot the time of my original keyboard warrior post. :D

Al let you do the maths on that one heh heh heh ;)

According to LL website some of the postponed games are now:

Sat 17th Jan - Stirling v Preston (Central A)

Sat 31st Jan - Preston v Edinburgh Uni (Central A)

Sat 7th Feb - Edinburgh Uni v EK (Central A)

Sat 14th Feb - Gala v Selkirk (Borders)

Wed 18th Feb - BSC v Whitehill (Central B)

Sat 21st Feb - Dalbeattie v Gretna (D&G), Vale v Gala (Borders)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gala Fairydean Rovers 5-0 Selkirk

Scottish Borders Section

Gala......... P1.. 3pts, +5

Vale of L.... P0.. 0pts

===========================

Selkirk...... P1.. 0pts, -5

Preston Athletic 2-0 Edinburgh University (at New East Peffermill)

Central Section A

E Kilbride... P2.. 6pts, +4

Stirling Un P3 4pts, -1

Preston...... P2.. 3pts, +1

Edinburgh U.. P3.. 1pt, -4

Gala Fairydean Rovers 5-0 Selkirk

Scottish Borders Section

Gala......... P1.. 3pts, +5

Vale of L.... P0.. 0pts

Preston Athletic 2-0 Edinburgh University (at New East Peffermill)

Central Section A

E Kilbride... P2.. 6pts, +4

Stirling Un P3 4pts, -1

Preston...... P2.. 3pts, +1

Edinburgh U.. P3.. 1pt, -4

Still shake my head at the makeup of that first group........

Late flurry from Gretna saw them cuff Dalbeattie 5-2 this afternoon to win the Dumfries & Galloway section. Both were of course already assured of progressing.

Dumfries & Galloway Section

Gretna....... P2.. 6pts

Dalbeattie... P2.. 3pts

Threave...... P2.. 0pts

Meanwhile in the Scottish Borders section, Gala progressed courtesy today's 1-1 draw v Vale. In the concluding Selkirk v Vale tie on April 22nd, it means Selkirk must win to progress and Vale must avoid defeat to progress. If Vale were to beat Selkirk by 6 goals or by 6-1/7-2/etc. they would top the section ahead of Gala. If they were to beat Selkirk 5-0 then there would be a dead heat, and if it matters, presumably a playoff/drawing-of-lots would be required.

Scottish Borders Section

Gala......... P2.. 4pts, +5

Vale of L.... P1.. 1pt, +0

Finally, to recap the situation with the Central sections.

In Central A - East Kilbride have qualified, and Preston will qualify unless they lose the last remaining match to EK on April 4th (or 8th). If they do lose it then Stirling will qualify instead. EK will top the section unless they lose to Preston by 2+ goals, in which case Preston would.

In Central B - Spartans have won the section, and are guaranteed to top it as well. Remaining games are BSC v Ed City on March 18th and BSC v Whitehill on March 24th. Lots of possible permutations but City and Whitehill have 1pt and BSC has 0pts, so it really is all to play for in this one.

So the confirmed qualifiers are Gretna, Dalbeattie, Gala, either Vale/Selkirk, EK, either Stirling/Preston, Spartans and 1 of Ed City/Whitehill/BSC.

Late flurry from Gretna saw them cuff Dalbeattie 5-2 this afternoon to win the Dumfries & Galloway section. Both were of course already assured of progressing.

Although the Star manager would have enjoyed the game. Quote from the Programme:

"As far as I'm concerned it is a meaningless tie. There's no two ways about it and we will be taking it lightly. I don't care what anyone says, it's a case of we'll raise our game when we have to and we'll dip it down when we have to. The boys are human beings and we can't play to that level of intensity every week (v Newton Stewart). We'll go out and enjoy it and the result means nothing because at the end of the day there's nothing at stake, simple as that."

To be fair it was a bit of a lack lustre display from both teams but still a surprising quote from the manager, I can't think of anything similar in the past.

Although the Star manager would have enjoyed the game. Quote from the Programme:

"As far as I'm concerned it is a meaningless tie. There's no two ways about it and we will be taking it lightly. I don't care what anyone says, it's a case of we'll raise our game when we have to and we'll dip it down when we have to. The boys are human beings and we can't play to that level of intensity every week (v Newton Stewart). We'll go out and enjoy it and the result means nothing because at the end of the day there's nothing at stake, simple as that."

To be fair it was a bit of a lack lustre display from both teams but still a surprising quote from the manager, I can't think of anything similar in the past.

whats your point?

whats your point?

I can't think of anything similar in the past.

The fans who paid a fiver at the gate must have felt a bit cheated to read that one of the managers says that his team is not going to be trying too hard today. I cannot think of another example of this. At least the Premiership clubs drop their prices when they pay understrength teams in some cup competitions,.

It might be just me but I found it surprising to read this in the match programme before the match had started. Some may view it as an honest view of the match while others may see it as getting your excuses in early. :)

The fans who paid a fiver at the gate must have felt a bit cheated to read that one of the managers says that his team is not going to be trying too hard today. I cannot think of another example of this. At least the Premiership clubs drop their prices when they pay understrength teams in some cup competitions,.

It might be just me but I found it surprising to read this in the match programme before the match had started. Some may view it as an honest view of the match while others may see it as getting your excuses in early. :)

honest views are all you'll get from the star manager. Says it like it is every time, no excuses or bullshit.. And keeps smiling. No airs no graces.

at least he admitted it which was admirable. There may be a certain team in the Edinburgh area who didn't try a leg prior to a certain match on Tuesday night....

meanwhile, waiting for the indeterminable League Cup to finish....

post-12982-0-31625400-1424557306.jpg

He couldn't of taken it too lightly he started with what many would class as his strongest team available..........??? Possibly Wells could of featured.

Anyway games by with now, Gretna top group, scrappy game, hard conditions to play in, 2-5 possibly flatering in the end

at least he admitted it which was admirable. There may be a certain team in the Edinburgh area who didn't try a leg prior to a certain match on Tuesday night....

meanwhile, waiting for the indeterminable League Cup to finish....

skeleton.jpg

What the Tuesday before? When they played a weakened team against the citeh??

Archived