Second World War

Jacksgranda

Today's the 75th Anniversary of the start of the Second World War (for us, anyway, the Poles started two days earlier), but there doesn't seem to be any official acknowledgement of it. Is it because this year also the 100th Anniversary of the commencement of The Great War, and the Second War is being sidelined?

Actually it was yesterday! :lol:

There was brief acknowledgement of it but I suppose WWI anniversary detracts from it. That and there weren't any real major military operations between the Allies (or UK and France, at least) and Nazi Germany until 1940.

Today's the 75th Anniversary of the start of the Second World War (for us, anyway, the Poles started two days earlier), but there doesn't seem to be any official acknowledgement of it. Is it because this year also the 100th Anniversary of the commencement of The Great War, and the Second War is being sidelined?

Japan and China had already been fighting for a couple of years. Why is this never seen as part of WW2?

Japan and China had already been fighting for a couple of years. Why is this never seen as part of WW2?

Because until Japan's allies and the UK and France got involved (indirectly through Germany invading Poland) it was just another in a line of wars in that area caused by a weak china, a rapidly modernised and open Japan which, along with Russia held expansionist ideas. rather than part of the greater conflict. It was the successor to the first sino-Japanese war and Russian-Japanese war of 1905 which allowed Japan to have hegemony over north east Chiana rather than the Russkies.

If they rebranded it like they did with WW1 then it might be a bit sexier, when it's stood next to the 'Great' war it looks a bit meh, if they called it the 'Super' war then it might get a bit more attention.

Because until Japan's allies and the UK and France got involved (indirectly through Germany invading Poland) it was just another in a line of wars in that area caused by a weak china, a rapidly modernised and open Japan which, along with Russia held expansionist ideas. rather than part of the greater conflict. It was the successor to the first sino-Japanese war and Russian-Japanese war of 1905 which allowed Japan to have hegemony over north east Chiana rather than the Russkies.

Japan wasn't involved with British Empire or France until after the fall of the latter in 1940. The bottom line is that the same argument applies to a predominantly local Germany v France, Germany v Poland, Britain impotently using its navy square-off in September 1939; the reason why the Asian war isn't considered the start is solely down to a Eurocentric narrative for the conflict.

Japan wasn't involved with British Empire or France until after the fall of the latter in 1940. The bottom line is that the same argument applies to a predominantly local Germany v France, Germany v Poland, Britain impotently using its navy square-off in September 1939; the reason why the Asian war isn't considered the start is solely down to a Eurocentric narrative for the conflict.

You've clearly forgotten about the Battle of River Plate, fought in South American waters between the Royal Navy and the Kriegsmarine in 1939.

Any major war involving Britain at this time was a World War due to the size of the empire and Britain's merchant navy.

My wife's Gramps was a Bren gunner in WW2,he was left behind at Dunkirk to cover the retreat and was captured.

He spent 5 years in a POW camp.

My grandad was gunned down on Sword Beach during the D-Day landings. Only reason he survived was because the line of machine gun bullets missed all the vital organs and some guy I owe my existence to dragged him back onto the boat. The last commemoration was rather surreal for me when I saw a giant screen zoomed into his face being shown on BBC.

Archived