Would anyone have concerns for their job after a Yes vote?

Zetterlund

A "Yes" vote could make job prospects pretty grim for the various chairmen of big businesses who have effectively said they are not capable of dealing with a "Yes" vote in a considered and sensible manner.

I run a wee company in Edinburgh with a mix of full and part timers and a variety of contractors. Yes would give me confidence as Edinburgh would be a proper capital city with a government who I'd hope/expect to be doing all they could to promote Scotland as a place to live/visit/work/base a business.

"No" would just be more of the same - a detachment from the UK government and the certain knowledge that they do nothing, never have done and never will do anything to help my business.

Ultimately the vote is of more relevance to my own hopes and beliefs than it is to my business.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just sat through our MD tell us why a Yes vote is bad for the business.

You could feel the tension in the room.

a reason given:

English companies won't want to work with a Scottish company. Regardless of the fact we have been our market leader in the UK for more than 2 decades and have offices through out the UK.

the company I work for has just confirmed to us that our jobs aren't in any danger and that they will continue their current strategy, which is to keep growing both the business here in Scotland and create further jobs, regardless of the result of the referendum.

So many people here were voting no because they thought they might lose their jobs. All of a sudden that chat has completely disappeared.

the company I work for has just confirmed to us that our jobs aren't in any danger and that they will continue their current strategy, which is to keep growing both the business here in Scotland and create further jobs, regardless of the result of the referendum.

So many people here were voting no because they thought they might lose their jobs. All of a sudden that chat has completely disappeared.

Do you seriously believe that instantly jobs will be lost? i think you're being disingenuous because companies never make grim predictions and corporate BS always veers on the side of optimism.

Over the "negotiations" period things will start going wrong but it looks like a No anyway due to common sense

I work for US company with offices all over the world so Yes vote would not endanger my job in the slightest. In fact it may even strengthen it as we will go from a regional branch office to one in a capital of an independent country.

My companies CEO now stating independence could be a big risk.

I await an email tomorrow to have the correct statement, I don't trust the BBC article, twice they've rejected talk of closing the Perth office as it's one of the best performing in the company allegedly.

Not enough to scare me into a no vote, but enough to make me shit myself for a brief period.

I work for a certain bank who have already confirmed internally and externally that our jobs will be unaffected. The exact wording was 'business as usual for us'.

Not concerned in the slightest regardless of how the BBC want to spin it.

Some of you may recall I was told by my boss that my position would go if Scotland got independence. I was given dog's abuse for bringing it up but it did make me wonder if I wanted to work for that company.

Just thought I'd pop back and say I got a new job with a new company today. Hurrah for me :cheers

Archived