Would anyone have concerns for their job after a Yes vote?

Zetterlund

My work's highly dependent on a connection to the London Internet backbone, but there's an English sister company. It's not particularly relevant that my office is in Scotland. To my knowledge, ministers have not yet confirmed that we will be limited to 56k dialup after independence, which seems a bit of a missed trick if you ask me.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work for a successful Scottish company with 20 offices worldwide. We've no fear of working over borders. We go wherever the customers are so our London and Guilford offices will continue to operate just like the rest of our "foreign" offices do.

Absolutely no fear here.

Would be interested to hear from both sides on this.

Any indy supporters think their job security could be put in doubt but will be voting Yes anyway? Is independence more important than your own job? Any No voters specifically doing so for this reason?

I was speaking to the bosses at work today and they, like myself, have concerns about how a Yes vote would affect the business. I work in renewable energy which is very much influenced by current Westminster policy, including financial incentives to encourage investment in the industry. While an independent Scotland would clearly be very much into renewable energy, during the negotiation period everything would be up in the air and consumer confidence is likely to hit a brick wall (we've seen it before when government initiatives are delayed or terminated).

The bosses are not 100% decided but are leaning toward No due to these uncertainties. I am all for independence but had been on the fence until very recently for the same reasons. I imagine it would be easy to be an enthusiastic Yes supporter if you knew that, at worst, things would remain the same for you after the vote.

Is a greater concern not the level of subsidies agreed for the new nuclear power station in England. The obvious shift in policy will do more harm than the scottish government who not only has more ambitious targets but have made renewables one of the key job creating areas.

I work as a QS in the cooooncil. Love my job it's no under threat and even if it was I couldn't give two fucks. Infact If I was told that I'd be guaranteed to lose my job if it was a YES I'd still vote YES. I'd happily get chucked out of my house and live on the streets for a yes vote :lol:

I work at a university and the vast majority of available funding comes from the UK research councils. I've heard very little about how funding arrangements would work post-independence, but the one certainty is that no funding = no job (at least until you have a decent publication record). I'm not particularly bothered though, since a) there will always be funding available from industrial partners, b) it's extremely unlikely that all higher education funding would vanish completely after independence and c) I may not even want to be doing this in March 2016 (God knows I've thought about jacking it in often enough in the last few months). So there is a risk, but I'm still voting Yes. The possibility of being unemployed for a short while is far, far outweighed by the benefits of independence.

Salmond mentioned in a vid on YouTube that research funding is to be protected. Either by seeking to keep the same system that is in place at the moment. However if that doesn't happen the short fall would've made up by the Scottish government. Think it was around 50 million.

I work at a university and the vast majority of available funding comes from the UK research councils. I've heard very little about how funding arrangements would work post-independence, but the one certainty is that no funding = no job (at least until you have a decent publication record). I'm not particularly bothered though, since a) there will always be funding available from industrial partners, b) it's extremely unlikely that all higher education funding would vanish completely after independence and c) I may not even want to be doing this in March 2016 (God knows I've thought about jacking it in often enough in the last few months). So there is a risk, but I'm still voting Yes. The possibility of being unemployed for a short while is far, far outweighed by the benefits of independence.

The research council funding gap is laughably small compared to, oh I don't know, our share of trident. It could be plugged or extended without breaking sweat. I wouldn't worry.

Personally no, it won't make any difference to my employment. A few of my friends think that Scotland not getting into the EU will put their jobs at risk, but I have reassured them that this issue is not one they ought to be worrying about (A no voter helping the yes side I suppose but better to be truthful on the issue).

In my opinion the biggest risks are to those who work in non-essential public services and those who work for companies with large pension scheme deficits.

My work's highly dependent on a connection to the London Internet backbone, but there's an English sister company. It's not particularly relevant that my office is in Scotland. To my knowledge, ministers have not yet confirmed that we will be limited to 56k dialup after independence, which seems a bit of a missed trick if you ask me.

I would have thought that we would have been limited to 300 baud!

I work as a QS in the cooooncil. Love my job it's no under threat and even if it was I couldn't give two fucks. Infact If I was told that I'd be guaranteed to lose my job if it was a YES I'd still vote YES. I'd happily get chucked out of my house and live on the streets for a yes vote :lol:

I actually think I love you, man!!

Archived