Would anyone have concerns for their job after a Yes vote?

Zetterlund

Would be interested to hear from both sides on this.

Any indy supporters think their job security could be put in doubt but will be voting Yes anyway? Is independence more important than your own job? Any No voters specifically doing so for this reason?

I was speaking to the bosses at work today and they, like myself, have concerns about how a Yes vote would affect the business. I work in renewable energy which is very much influenced by current Westminster policy, including financial incentives to encourage investment in the industry. While an independent Scotland would clearly be very much into renewable energy, during the negotiation period everything would be up in the air and consumer confidence is likely to hit a brick wall (we've seen it before when government initiatives are delayed or terminated).

The bosses are not 100% decided but are leaning toward No due to these uncertainties. I am all for independence but had been on the fence until very recently for the same reasons. I imagine it would be easy to be an enthusiastic Yes supporter if you knew that, at worst, things would remain the same for you after the vote.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be bothered about not being at Menzies tbh.

I think my job would be fairly secure though , if part of our job is Southern Ireland then i cant fathom why it would be a problem

The bosses are not 100% decided but are leaning toward No due to these uncertainties.

If they're in the case where they want to vote Yes but they feel the need to vote No out of self interest, do they really think that their wee handful of biased votes will swing the overall result? Or I suppose the main question is actually 'are there enough people in this situation to collectively make a referendum changing result'? (probably what you're trying to judge here I guess)

I work in a defence company and I can quite clearly see a potential risk to my job.

However,my job can easily be put at risk by government changes, export changes or missed orders so it is just one more risk. I feel that jobs are pretty much always an unsure thing on at least some level these days.

The yes vote is also more important to me than a job anyway. It is about the future for my children and the chance for us to build something better.

I work in Welfare Rights for my local authority. Either way i'll probably be fine. If it's a "no", Westminster's clusterfuck of a welfare reform programme will continue, ensuring plenty of work for me, and if it's a "yes" there will likely be an overhaul of the benefits system, ensuring plenty of work for me.

Even if i wasn't in such a positive situation, I'd still be voting Yes.

If they're in the case where they want to vote Yes but they feel the need to vote No out of self interest, do they really think that their wee handful of biased votes will swing the overall result? Or I suppose the main question is actually 'are there enough people in this situation to collectively make a referendum changing result'? (probably what you're trying to judge here I guess)

I think they're on the fence anyway, but the concerns for their business and employees are weighing on them. But yes, as you suggested I'm just trying to gauge how much of a factor peoples' own job situation is when it comes to their vote. I can understand for many the vote is the most important thing, though as small business owners I think they see it differently.

I reckon if any European country could lead the way in the field of renewables it would be Scotland.

I agree, in the longer term after any initial uncertainty it will likely be booming.

Work for a top 40 UK law firm, with a single base in Scotland after a merger beginning of last year. No worries as they have been open to the part about, "business as usual". Not to mention the SAR already treat Scotland as an overseas province so nothing will actually change with our relationship with those down south

I work for a university and I think I'll be ok. Saying that I am applying for a job in a civil service dept :D

I wouldn't let it change my mind either way tbh, jobs come and go anyway - I've been made redundant before under the Westminster govt - it could happen under any govt.

I work for Lloyds Bank, all the no voters are saying we would lose our jobs and they would move the centre to England so it wasn't in a foreign country. They do shut up when I point out our collections department is in the phillipines

That's the funny thing, most of the scaremongering from the banks are them threatening to do things they already did years ago. I used to work for Standard Life and they are threatening to go down South. Forgetting they already sold Standard Life Bank years back to Barclays, who promptly closed it and moved down South. They think we zip up the back.

That's the funny thing, most of the scaremongering from the banks are them threatening to do things they already did years ago. I used to work for Standard Life and they are threatening to go down South. Forgetting they already sold Standard Life Bank years back to Barclays, who promptly closed it and moved down South. They think we zip up the back.

Its not even the bank its some of the fannies that work there

I work for a UK govt department and my job would definitely go. I'm not giving a f**k. I'm making an assumption that there will be a requirement for me in a Scottish civil service. I'd already decided that I would move South for a while if it meant having a job. Better that and being able to look myself in the mirror than voting No because I'm a complete shitebag. It's another element of Project Fear - f**k them.

Archived