Independance?

I've been thinking out of curiosity, if we gain independance how will that affect Berwick Rangers?

For example, would I need to go to the bank to change money in prep for an away trip to Berwick since it's covered by Northumberland County Council, therefore in England?

Also, would teams and supporters etc visiting Shielfield Park need to take passports with them to get over the border?

Just something I've been thinking about...

I've been thinking out of curiosity, if we gain independance how will that affect Berwick Rangers?

For example, would I need to go to the bank to change money in prep for an away trip to Berwick since it's covered by Northumberland County Council, therefore in England?

Also, would teams and supporters etc visiting Shielfield Park need to take passports with them to get over the border?

It would change absolutely feck all. Berwick is already in England playing under the SFA.

This is true mate, makes you wonder why this wasn't brought up in the recent Salmond v Darling debates. The people need to know!

As Lichtie says, we're already full members of the SFA so in theory, nothing should change.

I travel across the Borders every day for work (Berwick - Scottish Borders) and there is little obvious interest in border controls which would be damaging to local business (given the health of the cross-border economy, where people living in Berwickshire shop in Berwick, local farmers on both sides supply the dock, Simpsons Malt etc). There are large numbers of Border Scots who travel to Berwick to work and plenty of Berwickers like me who travel in the other direction, plus we have an increasing commuter population going to Edinburgh by rail. Border controls would be counter-productive because they would piss a lot of people off by making life harder for them and would have a damaging impact on a low-waged part of the country.

As for Berwick Rangers, they train in the Edinburgh area and apart from Johnny Fairbairn, who lives in north Northumberland, all the other players are Edinburgh of Fife/Lothians-based. What will change for them in the event of a "Yes" vote? Not much as far as i can see. Busines as usual - scoring tons of goals and chucking away match-winning leads.

As an Englishman living a couple of miles south of the great divide and supporting a team of Scotsmen playing in a Scottish competition, I have a lot more in common with Scotland than with the part of England that lies south of Manchester. That is a foreign country to me and many of my mates. I hope that whatever happens on 18th September, it works for you all and that the outcome is of lasting benefit to Scotland. Just remember that the rest of us will have to put up with a London-centric politics dominated by big business, corrupt bankers and public school toffs irrespective of which party is in power in Westminster. Even if it's a "No" vote, you have the chance to remove yourselves further from that fate than at any time since 1707. Just leave enough room for us to move across the Border if things get worse on this side.

As Lichtie says, we're already full members of the SFA so in theory, nothing should change.

I travel across the Borders every day for work (Berwick - Scottish Borders) and there is little obvious interest in border controls which would be damaging to local business (given the health of the cross-border economy, where people living in Berwickshire shop in Berwick, local farmers on both sides supply the dock, Simpsons Malt etc). There are large numbers of Border Scots who travel to Berwick to work and plenty of Berwickers like me who travel in the other direction, plus we have an increasing commuter population going to Edinburgh by rail. Border controls would be counter-productive because they would piss a lot of people off by making life harder for them and would have a damaging impact on a low-waged part of the country.

As for Berwick Rangers, they train in the Edinburgh area and apart from Johnny Fairbairn, who lives in north Northumberland, all the other players are Edinburgh of Fife/Lothians-based. What will change for them in the event of a "Yes" vote? Not much as far as i can see. Busines as usual - scoring tons of goals and chucking away match-winning leads.

As an Englishman living a couple of miles south of the great divide and supporting a team of Scotsmen playing in a Scottish competition, I have a lot more in common with Scotland than with the part of England that lies south of Manchester. That is a foreign country to me and many of my mates. I hope that whatever happens on 18th September, it works for you all and that the outcome is of lasting benefit to Scotland. Just remember that the rest of us will have to put up with a London-centric politics dominated by big business, corrupt bankers and public school toffs irrespective of which party is in power in Westminster. Even if it's a "No" vote, you have the chance to remove yourselves further from that fate than at any time since 1707. Just leave enough room for us to move across the Border if things get worse on this side.

Great post.

Can't believe this is getting serious responses.Has the OP just woken out of a coma?

There's a huge forum marked Scottish Independence Debate for trolls like this. You'll note that people in that forum know how to spell the word correctly too.

People in Berwick are covered by the Act of Scottishness 1948, as are things like Jammy Dodgers, pickled onion Monster Munches and Buckfast wine. They'll be just fine.

Yours sincerely

Hawkeye the Gnu

Can't believe this is getting serious responses.Has the OP just woken out of a coma?

There's a huge forum marked Scottish Independence Debate for trolls like this. You'll note that people in that forum know how to spell the word correctly too.

People in Berwick are covered by the Act of Scottishness 1948, as are things like Jammy Dodgers, pickled onion Monster Munches and Buckfast wine. They'll be just fine.

Yours sincerely

Hawkeye the Gnu

You missed "salt n sauce wi that?"

Archived