UEFA fine Celtic and St.Johnstone

~~~

I'm struggling to understand how a guy with a flag is an 'idiot' here? It's not like it had 'f**k UEFA' written on it.

He was doing it to make a political point, something that has no place in football, IMO. There are plenty of 'free Palestine' demonstrations all over the country he could have attended instead.

Whilst I don't agree with the fine, if he hadn't brought the flag, then we wouldn't be discussing it.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's ironic that a few of our supporters have flown Palestine flags for years, but it's only now that we are fined because the Palestinian people's plight is more relevant than ever.

I know, quite shite. f**k knows what's happening, must be a really slow day at UEFA

Well so much for freedom of speech ?, what next ?, a list of banned or prohibited things you can do a football match that actually have the sum of feck all to do with the game.

"Sorry mate you can't wear that colour at this stadium"

"You can't shout at the manager to make changes to tactics"

"Please blow into this device to see if you are over the drink limit and if you are your no getting in"

:huh:

Bit over the top the fine. But why on earth would someone take a Palestine flag to football game?

I'd imagine it's because there are children dying in Gaza and a football game is a public event.

I personally think that UEFA's decision to fine the flying of one national flag over any other flag is more of a political statement than anything. Indeed, the decision to treat Israel as European when it is in the Middle East is pretty political too.

I'd imagine it's because there are children dying in Gaza and a football game is a public event.

I personally think that UEFA's decision to fine the flying of one national flag over any other flag is more of a political statement than anything. Indeed, the decision to treat Israel as European when it is in the Middle East is pretty political too.

People should keep politics out of football.

People should keep politics out of football.

In all seriousness though, people who say this have no grasp of what is or isn't 'political' in the relevant sense of the word.

So many statements and actions can be viewed as 'political'. Any national or regional flag is a 'political' object, particularly if one chooses to perceive it as such. A saltire is a political symbol and always will be, but now it is could be seen as being tied in with a particular stance on the referendum and supporters of Basque football teams are flying it in support of their own independence movements. Should we ban all saltires? Should we ban certain colours, creeds or nationalities from flying saltires? Or should we just accept that a national flag, taken on its own, is a legitimate symbol people should be able to carry wherever they so choose and which should not cause offence to anyone other than bigots?

You may be able to tell I'd go for the latter.

I can't help but thinking you and Paris Hiltoon lack the nuance to understand that you are actually saying 'People should keep politics that I personally consider to be offensive or controversial out of football'. You're not alone though, I'm pretty sure threads on the subject of poppies have been full of people missing that point.

So I wonder if Rangers will be fined for flying Israel flags then?

I think this is limited to clubs that have played in European competitions.

Ajax fly Israeli flags en-masse though (and have done for years and years). It remains to be seen whether UEFA will take a similar stance that flying the Israeli flag at the present time is fineworthy (and worse than throwing a banana at Dani Alves). I'm going to guess not because fewer Israelis are dying in airstrikes, so flying an Israeli flag is less of an issue.

I too agree with the majority that are saying this is ridiculous. How is flying a countries flag political? What if i fly a Scottish flag at a Celtic game in Europe - would that be political because it would mean i'm voting YES in the current Scottish referendum? What if i fly the United Kingdom flag? Would that be political too because that would mean i'm voting NO in the current Scottish referendum?

Or what if i fly the Israel flag? Would that be political too? Celtic player Kayal is from Israel.

So how does UEFA know that the people who are flying the Palestinian flag not from Palestine nationalists themselves? They well could be.

I think UEFA fines clubs for obscure reasons so they can help fund the prize money for UEFA competitions. Or help pay staff's wages.

Imagine if The Rangers Football Club played in UEFA competition - they would be fined in every game for sectarian songs. I know this is not an obscure fine. it is obviously absolutely disgusting how a human being in this modern age can sing "We are up to our kness in ****** blood" I remember Rangers Football Club sang sectarian songs every game. I do not know if The Rangers Football Club supporters sing sectarian songs because i haven't seen them play yet.

Archived