King Kebab's Film Quiz

Albino Rover

Round 13: (Nearly) Pointless Actors

In this round, the questions are simple but the scoring system is much more devious.

Just like Pointless, for each question you should try to give a correct answer that no one else gave, but unlike the TV programme your score for each answer depends not on an independent survey, but on how you did against the other quiz participants. The more of you who give the same answer, the lower it will score.

Of course, all participants will be looking to come up with the obscure answers, so something you think might be a good answer could turn out to be popular, so there is an element of tactics in this round as well as general film knowledge.

Points will be awarded using this scheme:

1 point - Unique answer.

0.5 points - Answer given by 1 other participant.

0.25 points - Answer given by 2 or more other participants, but less than 50% of the total participants

0.1 points - Answer given by more than 50% of the total participants

0 points- Incorrect answer

The categories are nice and simple. All you have to do is name a film featuring each actor listed below.

1. Bryan Cranston

2. Benedict Cumberbatch

3. Ryan Gosling

4. Alec Guinness

5. Jonah Hill

6. Matthew McConaughey

7. Laurence Olivier

8. Gregory Peck

9. Alan Rickman

10. Kevin Spacey

Send your answers in a PM to me by midnight on Friday.
Good luck.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 13 Results

There were 8 participants this week- none of you got a clean sweep of pointless answers, and only one of the actors had eight different films named.

Here are all the answers I received, with their scores in brackets.

1. Bryan Cranston

Argo (0.5 points); Drive (1 point); The Lincoln Lawyer (1 point); Little Miss Sunshine (1 point); Strategic Command (1 point); Street Corner Justice (1 point) + 1 pass.

2. Benedict Cumberbatch

12 Years A Slave (0.5 points); Atonement (1 point); Creation (1 point); Four Lions (1 point); The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies (1 point); Star Trek Into Darkness (1 point); Third Star (1 point).

3. Ryan Gosling

All Good Things (1 point); Crazy Stupid Love (1 point); Drive (1 point); Frankenstein & Me (1 point); The Ides Of March (1 point); Only God Forgives (1 point); Remember The Titans (0.5 points).

4. Alec Guinness

The Bridge On The River Kwai (1 point); A Handful Of Dust (1 point); Last Holiday (1 point); Little Dorrit (1 point); The Man In The White Suit (1 point); Oliver Twist (0.5 points); Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi (1 point).

5. Jonah Hill

22 Jump Street (1 point); The 40 Year-Old Virgin (1 point); Accepted (1 point); How To Train Your Dragon (0.5 points); Moneyball (1 point); This Is The End (1 point); Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (1 point).

6. Matthew McConaughey

Boys On The Side (1 point); Contact (1 point); Fool's Gold (0.5 points); The Newton Boys (1 point); Sahara (1 point); Thirteen Conversations About One Thing (1 point); Tropic Thunder (1 point).

7. Laurence Olivier

The Betsy (1 point); Marathon Man (0.5 points); Othello (1 point); Rebecca (1 point); Sleuth (0.5 points); Spartacus (1 point).

8. Gregory Peck

Cape Fear (1 point); Gentleman's Agreement (1 point); I Walk The Line (1 point); Spellbound (1 point); To Kill A Mockingbird (0.5 points); The Yearling (0.5 points).

9. Alan Rickman

The Butler (0.5 points); Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (1 point); Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (1 point); The January Man (1 point); Love Actually (0.5 points); Truly Madly Deeply (1 point).

10. Kevin Spacey

21 (1 point); Dad (1 point); Horrible Bosses 2 (1 point); Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil (1 point); Moon (1 point); Ordinary Decent Criminal (1 point); The Shipping News (1 point); The Usual Suspects (1 point).

Apologies if the quiz element in that round was overpowered by the lottery of it all - Nearly Pointless is a cruel round - but I suppose Round 13 was always going to be unlucky for some.

On that note, this week's Leaderboard

post-33771-0-00867700-1417853795_thumb.p

King Kebab not only scores a Fellini, which sees him into double figures, but he also wins the commitment award for sending a detailed set of answers (and recommendations) while on what he assures me is a rather expensive holiday.

Round 14 to follow.

Round 14: Disney Bear Thinking About

As you may be aware, yesterday was the 113th birthday of one of the most successful movie men of all time, the 48-years-late Walt Disney.

After starting out as a talented teenage cartoonist, Disney created the most popular animation studio of all time, now worth billions, and was awarded 22 Oscars- that's a record.

In its 90-year history what started as a dream factory might have become one of the biggest and ugliest corporations on the planet, but its magic is still putting smiles on children's faces, and it was all started by a remarkable man. This round's questions are all about him.

1. Who was Disney's wife of 41 years, who persuaded him to name his mouse "Mickey" and not "Mortimer"?

2. What is the name of 1928 short film, the first cartoon with synchronised sound, in which Mickey Mouse made his official debut?

3. In 1937 Disney released his first feature-length production, which went on to make $8,000,000 (well over $100m in modern money) at the box office. What was the film?

4. Between 1929 and 1939 Disney made a series of 75 5-minute films set to music, including The Skeleton Dance and The Ugly Duckling. What was the name of the series?

5. During the Second World War Disney made the propaganda film Der Fuehrer's Face, which won an Oscar and has since been considered a "Disney Treasure". In that film, which legendary Disney character gets caught up in various antics while working in a Nazi artillery factory?

6. What was the last animated feature film on which Disney was actively involved, before his death in 1966?

7. Disney's last words were written, not spoken. Inexplicably, on his deathbed he scribbled the name of which (then-)child actor?

8. When writing his cartoons, Disney was often inspired by the stories of Hans Christian Andersen, a source which has continued to inspire ever since. The most recent Disney film to win an Oscar, Frozen, is based on which of Andersen's fairy tales?

9. Decades after being the last Disneyland attraction overseen by Walt, what theme ride became the basis for a series of live-action films?

10. Which actor played Walt Disney in the 2013 film Saving Mr. Banks?

PM me your answers by midnight on Friday.

Good luck.

Round 14 Answers

Sorry about this round's title. I just read it again- terrible stuff.

1. Lillian Bounds (accepted Disney but Bounds was the "perfect answer".)

2. Steamboat Willie (I gave half a mark for "Steamboat Mickey")

3. Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs

4. Silly Symphonies

5. Donald Duck

6. The Jungle Book

7. Kurt Russell

8. The Snow Queen

9. Pirates Of The Caribbean

10. Tom Hanks

Leaderboard

post-33771-0-82874700-1418430499_thumb.p

Round 15: Stranger In A Strange Land

Film plots often take people all over the world, for all kinds of reasons: business, pleasure, migration, exile, escape, espionage, war- or just because the franchise box-office numbers are falling and the next instalment needs an exotic twist.

Here are ten shots of film characters in foreign lands. For full marks you have to identify both the film and the country in each.

Ressources1.jpg

borat04A.jpg

1044257_596705357071582_1331123101_n.jpg

ButchBoliviaTrein1.jpg

beach656leo.jpg

cameron-thor.jpg

4t6d5d.jpg

400x300_519ec85f7f07e.jpg

sam-okello-011.png?w=614&h=264

tumblr_static_lost_in_translation_035.jp

PM your answers to me by midnight on Friday.

Good luck.

Round 15 Answers

1. Taken, France (I took pity on what I'm sure was an honest mistake and gave 0.75 for "Taken, Paris")

2. Borat (Cultural Learnings Of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Kazakhstan), United States

3. In Bruges, Belgium

4. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Bolivia

5. The Beach, Thailand

6. Jurassic Park, Costa Rica

7. The Bridge On The River Kwai, Burma (or Myanmar)

8. Notorious, Brazil

9. The Last King Of Scotland, Uganda

10. Lost In Translation, Japan

Leaderboard

post-33771-0-28211600-1419033954_thumb.p

Round 16: Here's Looking At You

One of the most important aspects to most films is getting to understand the characters. There are lots of ways to help that visually: sometimes the camera is so in touch with the main character that they're hardly out of the frame, sometimes we even get to hear their thoughts, and look through their eyes to see what they see- and whom they see.

The above paragraph is me talking rubbish as usual. I just thought it was a cool idea for a round really, the introduction is pretty much negligible.

Ten POV shots of people making eye contact with you. It's Round 16 now so I'm not going to settle for just film titles. Your question is: whose eyes are you looking through? Name the ten actors.

Some of you might be pernickety and say that one or two of them are disputable- for those ones I'll accept either or any one of the plausible answers.

c2ed691aa3eb5dc79926852dc966fda8.jpg

the%2Bkings%2Bspeech%2Bzoraki%2Bkral%2Bk

imagesrear-window-thorwald-02-small.jpg

tumblr_inline_n39my906Xt1sn4o8l.gif

blacknar_gif_13_03_11.gif

1400535741_screenshot-2014-05-20-166.png

brad_529b1d8c2a6b220bbc6b9793.jpg

2llyjxj.jpg

grady.jpg?resize=550%2C366

600px-BB-M16-4.jpg

Good luck!

Round 16 Answers

1. Gene Hackman (in The Royal Tenenbaums)

2. Colin Firth (in The King's Speech)

3. James Stewart (in Rear Window)

4. Uma Thurman (in Kill Bill)

5. Kathleen Ross (in Black Narcissus)

6. Jean Dujardin (in The Wolf Of Wall Street) (although Jonah Hill is in the room I didn't accept him because although Donnie is in the room, this is very distinctly a POV shot through Saurel's eyes. It's Round 16- shit's getting real.)

7. George Clooney (in Burn After Reading)

8. Dustin Hoffman (in The Graduate)

9. Danny Lloyd (in The Shining)

10. John Belushi/Dan Aykroyd/Steven Spielberg (in The Blues Brothers)

Leaderboard

post-33771-0-84811700-1419639815_thumb.p

Round 17: Synopsis Safari

No monkey business this week: you have ten films to identify by each one's IMDb synopsis.

Watch out for the common link in the titles of all the answers.

1. After a simple jewelery heist goes terribly wrong, the surviving criminals begin to suspect that one of them is a police informant. (99 mins.)

2. A private detective takes on a case that involves him with three eccentric criminals, a gorgeous liar, and their quest for a priceless statuette. (100 mins.)

3. Several ordinary high school students go through their daily routine as two others prepare for something more malevolent. (81 mins.)

4. A reporter in Iraq might just have the story of a lifetime when he meets Lyn Cassady, a guy who claims to be a former member of the U.S. Army's New Earth Army, a unit that employs paranormal powers in their missions. (94 mins.)

5. Upon admittance to a mental institution, a brash rebel rallies the patients to take on the oppressive head nurse. (133 mins.)

6. An in-depth examination of the ways in which the U.S. Vietnam war impacts and disrupts the lives of people in a small industrial town in Pennsylvania. (182 mins.)

7. Two warriors in pursuit of a stolen sword and a notorious fugitive are led to an impetuous, physically skilled, adolescent nobleman's daughter, who is at a crossroads in her life. (120 mins.)

8. A weatherman finds himself living the same day over and over again. (101 mins.)

9. A young F.B.I. cadet must confide in an incarcerated and manipulative killer to receive his help on catching another serial killer who skins his victims. (118 mins.)

10. A German plot to kidnap Winston Churchill unfolds at the height of World War II. (135 mins.)

Good luck.

Round 17 Answers

1. Reservoir Dogs

2. The Maltese Falcon

3. Elephant

4. The Men Who Stare At Goats

5. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

6. The Deer Hunter

7. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

8. Groundhog Day

9. The Silence Of The Lambs

10. The Eagle Has Landed

The link, as alluded to in the round's title, was that all the films have animals in the titles.

Leaderboard

post-33771-0-08929600-1420246637_thumb.p

Round 18: Happy Birthday To You Lot

Every now and then I like to celebrate a great film personality's birthday with ten questions about them. As I discovered doing a quick recce last week on IMDb, today, the 3rd of January is the birthday of several notable contributors to the movies.

So all this week's answers are people who share the same birthday. A point for each of the ten you can identify from the descriptions below.

1. (born 1956) A-list Australian movie star and Oscar-winning director.

2. (born 1921; died 1991) The Californian actor pictured below; star of many Westerns including Rio Bravo, The Outlaw Josey Wales and Pale Rider.

15124-16060.gif

3. (born 1929; died 1989) A Western icon from behind the camera- the legendary director of the Dollars trilogy and Once Upon A Time In The West.

4. (born 1930) Italian-American star of Scarface and Big. (He also takes over a minute to spell his name in a Family Guy cut-away.)

5. (born 1907; died 1986) The Welsh-born star of Dial M For Murder. He won his Oscar for The Lost Weekend.

photo.jpg

6. (born 1942; died 2002) Star of the 1992 film Chaplin, and Mr. Tom himself, as well as a legendary TV cop.

7. (born 1940) Martin Scorsese's life-long friend and collaborator, a triple Oscar-winning film editor; also Michael Powell's widow.

8. (born 1910; died 1992) Director of The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape.

9. (born 1892; died 1973) Author of the Lord Of The Rings books- which inspired the trilogy that made almost $3billion, and won 17 Oscars.

10. (born 1958) Mostly a television actor, but he qualifies for the Film Quiz by playing Michael in Alpha Papa, as well as on TV.

Good luck.

Round 18 Answers

1. Mel Gibson

2. John Russell

3. Sergio Leone

4. Robert Loggia

5. Ray Milland

6. John Thaw

7. Thelma Schoonmaker

8. John Sturges

9. J.R.R. Tolkien

10. Simon Greenall

Leaderboard

post-33771-0-70008100-1420848561_thumb.p
I'll post Round 19 tomorrow. This will be the penultimate round in the quiz.

Round 19: And The Loser Is...

With the nominees for the 87th Academy Awards to be announced this week, for the penultimate round of the quiz I’ve decided to take a look back at some great Oscar nominees from recent years.

The Academy does great work and it honours great work, but sometimes they make some interesting decisions from time to time that leave great work unrewarded. Other times the competition is just too strong for every piece of movie gold to get a statue. Here are "losers" from across the last ten years, nominated for Oscars but snubbed on the night.

Your task is to tell me who/what beat them.

1. Leonardo Di Caprio, The Aviator (Best Actor, 2004)

2. Brokeback Mountain (Best Picture, 2005)

3. Leonardo Di Caprio, Blood Diamond (Best Actor, 2006)

4. Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There (Best Supporting Actress, 2007)

5. Meryl Streep, Doubt (Best Actress, 2008)

6. Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds (Best Director, 2009)

7. How To Train Your Dragon (Best Animated Feature, 2010)

8. Berenice Bejo, The Artist (Best Supporting Actress, 2011)

9. Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master (Best Supporting Actor, 2012)

10. Leonardo Di Caprio, The Wolf Of Wall Street (Best Actor, 2013)

Please send your answers in a new PM to me by midnight on Friday.

Good luck.

Archived