King Kebab's Film Quiz

Albino Rover

Round 3: Une Ronde Francais

Bonsoir tout le monde.

This round has a French theme, which I think pays respect to French film theatres as well as taking the piss out of them. Naturally they've always liked to screen all the hot British and American films, but, hilariously, rather than a simple translation, to make them more appealing to French movie-goers they often change the title completely.

Below are the titles of the French releases of 10 English language films. All you need to do is give me the popular English title for each.

1. Les Dents de la mer / "Teeth from the Sea"

2. Le crime était presque parfait / "The crime was almost perfect"

3. Les Evadés / "The escapees"

4. Un jour sans fin / "A never-ending day"

5. Y a-t-il un pilote dans l’avion? / "Is there a pilot on the plane?"

6. La Mélodie du Bonheur / "The melody of happiness"

7. Maman, j’ai raté l’avion / "Mum, I missed the plane"

8. Les jeunes gens qui traversent les dimensions en portant des lunettes de soleil / "Young People Who Traverse Dimensions While Wearing Sunglasses"

9. Thérapie de bonheur / "Happiness Therapy"

10. Les Griffes de la Nuit / "Claws of the night"

Answers in a new PM to me by midnight on Friday.

Good luck

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The answers are coming in thick and fast for this round, welcome the new contestants. Keep them coming before midnight on Friday.

As well as some excellent French cinema knowledge/cryptic mindwork, I've been impressed by a number of very clever incorrect guesses so far. I wish I could give points for some of them.

Not a clue for three of them but the rest were really trying to work out the translations rather than any knowledge of French, apart from No. 8, which I've heard of before!!!

Good Rounds so far AR, keep it up!!!

Round 3 Answers

I received a range of plausible guesses for almost every question in this round, but the correct answers are:

1. Jaws

2. Dial M For Murder

3. The Shawshank Redemption

4. Groundhog Day

5. Airplane

6. The Sound Of Music

7. Home Alone

8. The Matrix

9. Silver Linings Playbook

10. A Nightmare On Elm Street

Leaderboard

post-33771-0-84747900-1411779494_thumb.p

Round 4: Name The Director

A nice, simple one this week: below are ten sets of three films, for each one you just have to name the individual who directed them.

1. Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire and We Bought A Zoo

2. Billy Liar, Midnight Cowboy and Marathon Man

3. La Strada, La Dolce Vita and 8½

4. Carrie, The Untouchables and Carlito’s Way

5. Manhattan, Crimes And Misdemeanors and Vicky Cristina Barcelona

6. Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Ran

7. Naked, Secrets & Lies and Happy Go Lucky

8. The Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil and Superman Returns

9. Y Tu Mama Tambien, Children Of Men and Gravity

10. American Beauty, Road To Perdition and Skyfall

Please send your answers in a new PM to me by midnight on Friday.

Good luck.

Round 4 Answers

1. Cameron Crowe

2. John Schlesinger

3. Federico Fellini

4. Brian De Palma

5. Woody Allen

6. Akira Kurosawa

7. Mike Leigh

8. Bryan Singer

9. Alfonso Cuarón

10. Sam Mendes

Leaderboard

post-33771-0-38759600-1412378883_thumb.p

Mixed results this week but FWIW (for what it's worth) IMO (in my opinion) the work of ten excellent directors, all 30 films are well worth a watch.

Round 5: Be Very Specific

For Round 5 there are only 5 questions, however there are still 10 points up for grabs.

Like in Round 4, each question is a set of three films with something in common, but this time each connection is not a matter of personnel or genre but something very specific and rare. 1 point if you can identify the common denominator among each set, and there's a further 1 point available for each if you can suggest a fourth film that would fit the trend.

1. The Fabulous Baker Boys/Men At Work/Good Will Hunting

2. The Magnificent Seven/Godzilla/The Departed

3. East Of Eden/Guess Who's Coming To Dinner/Network

4. Lawrence Of Arabia/The Great Escape/Reservoir Dogs

5. Rope/High Noon/Phone Booth

Please send your answers in a new PM to me by midnight on Friday.

Good luck.

Heh. I didn't have a clue about the previous round so I just sat out gracefully, rather than throw my toys out the pram F_P.

Think I know the answer to numbers 2 and 5, but I'm somewhat stumped by the rest of them. I'll have to think about it.

Your Eminence, Pardon me for having the temerity to disagree with the wearer of a red galero but my toys are still firmly within the confines of the perambulator.

I was merely venting my frustration at being unable to participate due to the difficulty of Albi's questions.

8)

Round 5 Answers

1. These are all films starring real-life brothers (I accepted "siblings"). Alternatives included The Royal Tenenbaums, Twin Town and Donnie Darko.

2. These are American remakes of Asian films. I gave nothing for "Remakes of Japanese films" because Infernal Affairs has nothing to do with Japan. For alternatives you could have had The Ring, A Fistful Of Dollars, Oldboy and others, but not The Hunger Games, which is an adaptation of a novel influenced by Battle Royale, but not a direct remake.

3. It's true that the leading actors died shortly after filming but there are many examples of that. The specific answer I was looking for was that they were posthumously nominated for Oscars. I accepted The Dark Knight, for which Heath Ledger won the Supporting Actor award, but Il Postino - for which Massimo Troisi was nominated for Best Actor - was the perfect "very specific" answer.

4. These films have all-male dialogue, with no women in speaking roles. Alternatives include 12 Angry Men, Glengarry Glen Ross and The Thing.

5. These films take place in real time. Someone suggested they all take place in one setting but that's not true of High Noon. There are quite a few high-profile alternatives, including another chance to mention 12 Angry Men. Buried doesn't quite apply but I accepted it because I was harsh on another of that contestant's answers.

I admit that can only be described as a hoor of a round, so thanks for participating. Here's what the leaderboard looks like:

post-33771-0-24667900-1412984291_thumb.p

Round 6: Courtroom Drama

They say that lawyers are just wannabe actors, but that doesn't explain why so many actors pretend to be them. They're all over Hollywood, most prominently in one of my favourite sub-genres, but the movie courtroom doesn't exist just for legal drama, it finds its way into all kinds of films.

Here are ten screenshots of movie lawyers. For each one I just need the name of the film.

1. 071005_theverdict_hmed_9a.grid-6x2.jpg

2. maxresdefault.jpg?1403223095

3. snapshot20090901004911.jpg

4. 000D355363FCB977ECA85AABB79583D8E.jpg

5.800_my_cousin_vinny_blu-ray11-e131957977

6. anatomy-of-a-murder.jpg

7. 001e7784_medium.jpeg

8. 500px-Billy-Flynn-chicago-the-movie-2943

9. 11971494_gal.jpg

10. 80136-7534.jpg

Answers in a new PM to me by midnight on Friday.

Good luck.

Round 6 Answers

1. The Verdict

2. To Kill a Mockingbird

3. Amistad

4. ...And Justice For All

5. My Cousin Vinny

6. Anatomy Of A Murder

7. Liar Liar

8. Chicago

9. The late, great Maximilian Schell in Judgement At Nuremberg

10. This was a tricky one...it's the young Henry Hill's defence lawyer in Goodfellas (he doesn't have any dialogue but that smile says it all)

Leaderboard and R7 to follow.

Archived