The Arbroath Thread

7 minutes ago, ahfpjim said:

I am sure you will all be happy to read my season ticket arrived in the post today. 

Very good to hear. Sorted 

Hopefully an extremely experimental team the night. Want to see more of Jacobs, Paterson, Fosu and Shanks. Up against a decent Fylde team. One level below Conference at 6th tier England but finished a respectable 3rd and are FT. 

After ricky picking up a knock on saturday I wouldn’t risk him tonight even if fit and give him a break from travelling, unfortunately that along with it being a friendly i could see us playing 3-5-2 again…… hopefully see 2 or 3 trialists.

Pretty evenly matched game so far although Fylde are a bit more physically imposing. Really should have scored and their goal was very soft. Shanks is playing well but getting constantly fouled by their big centre half.

They're closing us down far quicker than we are to them, need to be in their faces a bit more.

Any idea of who the trialist are? Not that impressed with either so far.

Edited by Tattie36

Probably deserved at least a draw in the end. Looked a lot better once the subs were made and certainly created enough chances to win.

Positives - Bobby Linn, has to play when fit, things just happen when he's playing; Shanks looks excellent, just needs a goal; Gill looks solid in goal, a massive upgrade on Antell; ToB - best player on the park; 90 minutes for Nicky Low.

Negatives - the trilaists never looked up to much; need a bit more physicality in midfield; need more striking options - we can't rely on Linn to score wonder goals every week and (as we all know) Hislon and Donnelly aren't the answer; their goals were far too easy - a free header and a simple passing move and cross.

A bit of a “meh” performance. Thought the trialist’s did ok Early on but fell out of the game. Jacobs really struggled when introduced and was totally sold in the build up to their 2nd goal. 

Edited by lichtie23

I thought trialists both started well but faded badly. Especially the left winger. The piece of skill by the right winger that the ref blew up for a free kick for was outrageous. Wouldn’t sign any of them.

Fosu looks solid, he looks like part of the squad which is good.

Shanks was superb up against that big defender, he won’t play anyone as physical as that all season and he gave him a hard time when he was constantly getting fouled. Always gets on end of crosses and balls in box too I’ve noticed he just seems to be in right place. He really should be our 3rd choice striker though and someone we look to give chances to not someone we should be relying on to be first choice he’s a young lad in his first season at this level but right now I would have him first choice. He does all the running Hilson does but is more physical and I fancy him to take a chance or do something with the ball a whole lot more. 

Nicky Low and ToB strolled it. JT filled in well too. Hammy his usual.

Bobby Linn is scary ability wise there’s not a hope in hell we could sign anyone with that ability. Left foot and right foot so strong with both he puts defenders on their arse every time he plays and that goal outrageous. Being behind the goal the ball moved that much and then dipped to hit the underside of the bar there’s no way the keeper could’ve done better for me. If he was 30 year old we would be saying he was the best player in the division so he has to play every single game whether that’s the first hour or last half hour. Get him on the park. 

Cammy Gill I would agree is much better than Antell who lets face it was a complete bomb scare of a keeper. 

Still awaiting the 2 strikers and a creative player DC said he was wanting in before the 31st July... thought it would maybe be this week but will probably come after LC group phase is over 

14 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

We just can't cope with their pace and physicality. We look tiny compared to them.

Just seen this, really?

Certainly didn’t seem any less physical than Fylde were at Gayfield anyway. Minus their centre half who was genuinely about 6 foot 6 and 200 pounds

They were tidy and passed the ball about very well at times but did not think there was a difference in pace or physicality. They were decent defensively too. Not a bad side and definitely a Championship level outfit 

Nicky Low, Gold and they 2 trialist wingers probably the only guys we had playing under 6 foot tall or atleast very close to 6 foot 

Someone said to me last night Shanks looked small.. then there was a corner and he’s about the same size as ToB when standing next to him. That centre half they had was a man mountain

19 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Just seen this, really?

Certainly didn’t seem any less physical than Fylde were at Gayfield anyway. Minus their centre half who was genuinely about 6 foot 6 and 200 pounds

They were tidy and passed the ball about very well at times but did not think there was a difference in pace or physicality. They were decent defensively too. Not a bad side and definitely a Championship level outfit 

Nicky Low, Gold and they 2 trialist wingers probably the only guys we had playing under 6 foot tall or atleast very close to 6 foot 

Someone said to me last night Shanks looked small.. then there was a corner and he’s about the same size as ToB when standing next to him. That centre half they had was a man mountain

Maybe it was watching it on tv and the white kits but they looked generally bigger and more physical to me (Bringing on Hilson, Linn and Paterson didn’t help 😆). Think we played the better football though.

Yeah maybe by the end. Jacobs quite small too. But overall I wouldn’t say that 

Does anyone know if Ricky Little is fit? If he is then I would say our strongest side as it stands is 

Derek Gaston

Jason Thomson

Ricky Little

ToB

Colin Hamilton

Scotty Stewart

Keaghan Jacobs / David Gold

Nicky Low

Bobby Linn

Mikey McKenna

Keiran Shanks

And I think that’s what we have to go into Saturdays game playing.

Quite like the option of Fosu and Paterson

LD and Hilson been talked about plenty. Think they are both fine but not overly sure about either of them coming on to change a game 

Gill as good a back up keeper we could get. Craigen a decent steady option to have 

Think that’s where we are as a squad right now. Would agree with DC saying we need two strikers and a creative player, then defensive cover maybe worth looking into to 

If we sign 2 more strikers I am not sure where that would leave LD and Hilson? One potentially out on loan? 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah maybe by the end. Jacobs quite small too. But overall I wouldn’t say that 

Does anyone know if Ricky Little is fit? If he is then I would say our strongest side as it stands is 

Derek Gaston

Jason Thomson

Ricky Little

ToB

Colin Hamilton

Scotty Stewart

Keaghan Jacobs / David Gold

Nicky Low

Bobby Linn

Mikey McKenna

Keiran Shanks

And I think that’s what we have to go into Saturdays game playing.

Quite like the option of Fosu and Paterson

LD and Hilson been talked about plenty. Think they are both fine but not overly sure about either of them coming on to change a game 

Gill as good a back up keeper we could get. Craigen a decent steady option to have 

Think that’s where we are as a squad right now. Would agree with DC saying we need two strikers and a creative player, then defensive cover maybe worth looking into to 

If we sign 2 more strikers I am not sure where that would leave LD and Hilson? One potentially out on loan? 

Who was it that you had on trial the other night? 

31 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Who was it that you had on trial the other night? 

Not sure. Both were ok but I wouldn’t sign any. Heard one was from the US, supposedly got off a flight from LA yesterday morning but genuinely dunno if that was just randomly started by somebody cause he looked like a pop star 😂 other guy looked ok and got stuck in with one outrageous bit of skill, genuinely top level stuff but other than that I don’t think he done enough.

The guy Fosu who was a trialist against you actually come on to a game in fairness he had a good showing away in Paisley and was decent again the other night I thought. 

Can't imagine there been any decent trialists floating about anymore, No doubt we will be relying on loans to fill up the squad, I don't even remember actually having a decent trialist over the the last few seasons, Jury is defo still out on Fosu and Jacobs for me, Jacobs has a tough job replacing Hamilton, Shanks looks like a decent find though 

We look pretty solid but it's clear what we need, same story every season, Cover for defence, a creative player and 100% a couple of forwards, 

1 hour ago, DavidMcG said:

Thoughts on Harrison Clark? Has just signed for Stirling

He’s a young lad who really needs games. He’d only played for a soccer academy before Livingston.

Championship far too high a level for him, think DC gave Martindale a favour by giving him a chance at us. Showed glimpses of being a good player though and should manage in L2 fine.

Don’t think he’d be a standout or anything but I think he’ll do ok. He’s a good lad I’m told so good luck to him 

I know there are probably valid reasons for it but I for one am disappointed that it looks like home fans are being moved back to the harbour end. Much prefer the Pleasureland end and, as far as I’m concerned, it’s the traditional home end.

Also means we have the prevailing wind blowing in our faces and we’ll be squinting into the sun. Not a lot, if anything, the club has got wrong in the last few years but this is one imo.