Jump to content

The Arbroath Thread


Recommended Posts

Absolutely no need to panic whatsoever, we will add another 4 possibly 5 players in the coming weeks I would think. Still have the bulk of last season's team, badly need a striker and a left sided player which i am sure we will be working on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I prefer Stewart at right midfield where we can capitalise better on his tireless energy up and down; and prefer Thomson at right back (for both defensive and offensive capabilities).  I also think Bobby Linn is better used in selective phases rather than always starting. The two departing Hamiltons will be very hard to replace.

After far exceeding expectations last season, we may need to moderate them significantly this.

Edited by farflung lichtie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Absolutely no need to panic whatsoever, we will add another 4 possibly 5 players in the coming weeks I would think. Still have the bulk of last season's team, badly need a striker and a left sided player which i am sure we will be working on.

This is why I’m saying what I said. Another attacking position taken up by what looks to be an absolute dud
 

A guy from a team struggling in the 8th tier of English football who was by all accounts absolutely hopeless on Saturday. This is my problem with DC saying we only sign better than what we have. Absolutely not true.
 

FC Edinburgh have just signed a guy ten times the player than Fosu, aye he’s a left wing back but I would have much rather had him out there than Fosu 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, lichtie23 said:

Fosu confirmed. Genuinely astonished by the signing. Fingers crossed he just had an off day and turns into a decent player for us. 

Have to agree. His goal was a peach but that’s no reason to sign someone… mind you didn’t Dick sign Donnelly after he scored a screamer against us for Stranraer?

I thought he was the best of the trialists on Saturday and probably deserved another game but not sure if he showed enough to be signed. Hope he proves us wrong - I wasn’t particularly impressed the first time I saw Nouble so you never know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, farflung lichtie said:

I prefer Stewart at right midfield where we can capitalise better on his tireless energy up and down; and prefer Thomson at right back (for both defensive and offensive capabilities).  I also think Bobby Linn is better used in selective phases rather than always starting. The two departing Hamiltons will be very hard to replace.

After far exceeding expectations last season, we may need to moderate them significantly this.

If you’re playing with wingers in a 4-4-2 for me one of them has got to be more forward thinking. Stewart is excellent at what he does but if he’s out there and there’s a guy who’s not an attacking winger (or a winger at all) on the left then you get what we got the last 3 months of the season. Clipped balls forward to the 2 strikers to chase 

Edited by 1320Lichtie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Have to agree. His goal was a peach but that’s no reason to sign someone… mind you didn’t Dick sign Donnelly after he scored a screamer against us for Stranraer?

I thought he was the best of the trialists on Saturday and probably deserved another game but not sure if he showed enough to be signed. Hope he proves us wrong - I wasn’t particularly impressed the first time I saw Nouble so you never know.

Nouble was playing at a good level and shining at that level too though. Some of the clips he had tearing up teams at Aldershot were unbelievable 
 

Fosu been playing in the same league as South Park, Binfield and Chalfont St Peter  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the end of the day a 6 month deal is good business for both parties.

He gets the opportunity to try and get game time at a much higher level, either hoping to earn a longer deap with us or as a pathway to a full time football if he impresses enough. Who knows, only time will tell.

And for 6 month we get a player to add numbers to our small squad. He might be a bench warmer or might be a gem of a player. Who knows, only time will tell.

With only 2 preason games before the League Cup starting its pretty difficult to assess trialists and make a decision on if they are good enough. Obviously DC and Pink have seen something they like in the short period of time that they want him on a short term deal to look at him more.

Will be interesting to see how he does over the next few months. Cant be worse than Joe Prince Sh ite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the signings of Bakare and Ford have scarred me. Looking to the bench when we really needed something and only those two sitting there has provoked some PTSD

 

Even just watching back highlights of Saturday to see if I could see anything and all 4 of Montrose first half highlights including the goal he really left Hammy extremely exposed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the signings of Bakare and Ford have scarred me. Looking to the bench when we really needed something and only those two sitting there has provoked some PTSD
 
Even just watching back highlights of Saturday to see if I could see anything and all 4 of Montrose first half highlights including the goal he really left Hammy extremely exposed
As i said before. Must be difficult for a player to come straight in and perform. Different players, style of play etc. Will take time for a player to adjust.

He certainly didnt play the best to start with but as the game progressed there was improvement.

Ford and Bakare were panic buys. Was a shame on them to come all that way to spend all that time on the bench.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Deary me, we have to give the guy a chance, he has obviously impressed in training. 6 month deal makes sense. 

There were also a large number of players in an Arbroath shirt who were dire on Saturday.

Edited by Smokerson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't think it will be until mid August until we hear about potential loan signings as the bigger clubs are chasing new signings and won't put fringe players out on loan until they have these positions covered - so it's a matter of waiting maybe another 4 weeks before we will hear much on this I suspect.

Any short term new signings will be cover for the starting 11 and these players will need to prove themselves to get into the team - they won't find it easy breaking into the starting 11 unless their are injuries or suspensions.

We have one of the best defences in the league, but we need a winger, striker and midfielder who can compete for a place in the starting 11 - in other words, we need more options.

Might be a matter of waiting 4-5 weeks before we know what key (loan) signings will be made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If you’re playing with wingers in a 4-4-2 for me one of them has got to be more forward thinking. Stewart is excellent at what he does but if he’s out there and there’s a guy who’s not an attacking winger (or a winger at all) on the left then you get what we got the last 3 months of the season. Clipped balls forward to the 2 strikers to chase 

We don't play 4-4-2, we play 4-4-1-1, so Stewart is perfect for that system, but the left has to be better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ben Williamson. We are apparently his latest loan destination according to the national media. What's he like? What's his position? Good and bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Ben Williamson. We are apparently his latest loan destination according to the national media. What's he like? What's his position? Good and bad.

Played centre midfield for us and was very good. Looks like he had a disappointing season at both Livingston and Raith last season though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 month deal for fosu to prove himself he can cut it up here personally think that's a decent idea fae the staff, with the right coaching fae the management never know could be a great signing...Time will tell though! Give the laddie a break jesus had a shite game at Montrose, but Nouble had a shite game against East Fife last season at the start and everyone was saying he was shite...next thing he was one of our most important players in our best season ever in the championship

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Ben Williamson. We are apparently his latest loan destination according to the national media. What's he like? What's his position? Good and bad.

I liked him. Very committed and physical, always looked like a red card waiting to happen but mostly seemed to (just) time his challenges well. Central midfielder.

Don't think he was great or rated at Raith but maybe his style of play just didn’t suit them.

Edited by Tattie36
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I liked him. Very committed and physical, always looked like a red card waiting to happen but mostly seemed to (just) time his challenges well. Central midfielder.

Don't think he was great or rated at Raith but maybe his style of play just didn’t suit them.

Aye. I loved him. First game at QoTS away he looked like a wee skinny poser and then had a few challenges right out of nowhere Vinny Jones would be proud of. The fact he scored a few really important goals for us and posted the celebration photos but used a photo of him jumping into a two footed challenge for his profile picture summed it up. Unreal 😂

 

Good player too was good on the ball. Remember him taking the piss down in corner at end of one of our games 

Edited by 1320Lichtie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...