The Arbroath Thread

On 23/06/2022 at 10:24, Tattie36 said:

The board deserve huge praise. I’ve had a few people tell me over the last 3 or 4 years or so that Arbroath could easily be the next Cowdenbeath or Brechin, as they were in our position only a few short years ago.

The difference that I point out is that Cowdenbeath and Brechin in particular, never saw their stints in the Championship as an opportunity to grow and - I hate this saying - “future proof” their clubs.

Imo, the board see this as the main objective for Arbroath. Build a strong, community based club; increase the fan-base, particularly kids; invest in facilities and just generally raise the profile of the club within Arbroath and beyond. A successful club benefits the entire town.

You have hit the nail on the head................but in our case the lack of "future proofing " was evident way before our time in the Championship. 

Our disastrous season there should have sent the alarm bells off in the board room but sadly it didn't , despite the many concerning questions asked from season ticket holders. The realisation  only came when we plummeted to 42nd place which of course was too late.

Thankfully the club  now seem to be more professionally focused on the future with a complete restructure and vision based on what we have seen at Arbroath and Montrose..............probably 10 years too late but the public support behind the changes has been incredible both financially and personally with people willingly giving up their time to help in any way they can .  It is very evident that people want to have successful community clubs that everyone can feel part of . I am just so glad that our club got the kick up the backside that was needed to realise this. 

53 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

You have hit the nail on the head................but in our case the lack of "future proofing " was evident way before our time in the Championship. 

Our disastrous season there should have sent the alarm bells off in the board room but sadly it didn't , despite the many concerning questions asked from season ticket holders. The realisation  only came when we plummeted to 42nd place which of course was too late.

Thankfully the club  now seem to be more professionally focused on the future with a complete restructure and vision based on what we have seen at Arbroath and Montrose..............probably 10 years too late but the public support behind the changes has been incredible both financially and personally with people willingly giving up their time to help in any way they can .  It is very evident that people want to have successful community clubs that everyone can feel part of . I am just so glad that our club got the kick up the backside that was needed to realise this. 

Glad to hear things are on the up - on and off the pitch. I’ve always had a big soft spot for City - my dad grew up in Brechin, well Tigerton to be precise and he watched City when he was young, my parents also moved to the town about 8 years ago and live not far from Glebe Park.

My grandad was groundsman at Glebe Park in the 80s/90s. He was a pretty formidable character but had the pitch (and hedge) looking immaculate whenever we went to see a game. If he had had his way, even the players wouldn’t have been allowed on the pitch 😆

Hope to see City back soon.

8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Poor 1st half, better 2nd. Both trialists looked poor. Shanks impressive when introduced 

Everyone afraid to shoot . Trialist number 34 didn't know his position , all over the park but good effort. Worth another game .

Arbroath 2 Brechin 1 , goals Shanks and Goldie.

Pretty dire. Dick lost the penalty shoot out.

Also Kieran Shanks reminded me of Jack Hamilton. Very composed finish. Big, strong, quite quick, good hold up and a good finish plus never stopped running. Looked knackered by end 

Albeit up against a very poor Brechin team 

Id have him as first choice striker right now though

So one trialist is Nick Dembele but the other trialist is Eze from Crystal Palace brother. Nouble is good pals with him.

Ikechi Eze I think but could’ve been his other brother Chimachei who is also a footballer 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Hard to judge the trialists on 45 mins but they didn’t look up to much. We looked understandably rusty and a bit out of sorts with the change of formation in a poor 1st half but improved 2nd. Biggest positive was shanks who looks strong, pacey and showed he can finish.

I watched Dembele’s highlights reel/game on YouTube. Looks like it’s being played on a school astro with one team in bibs. Some of the players literally look like any number of below average amateur players we all know/are/were. Yeah he looks strong and reasonably skilful but so did I occasionally when playing 5s with a bunch of out of shape mates.

17 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I watched Dembele’s highlights reel/game on YouTube. Looks like it’s being played on a school astro with one team in bibs. Some of the players literally look like any number of below average amateur players we all know/are/were. Yeah he looks strong and reasonably skilful but so did I occasionally when playing 5s with a bunch of out of shape mates.

That’s because one of them is literally Sunday League highlights. In London a lot of players play Saturdays and Sundays. There’s some famous YouTube teams out there. The team he played for on a Saturday was called Gosport Borough last season and they are a semi professional side 

I would maybe have another look at him but I don’t know about Eze. I don’t really think a club in Championship should be taking punts on trialists though. Think it’s fine in League 2 or whatever but I would rather a promising young lad on loan from a Prem club. Might have made a difference if we’d went for 2 of them instead of Ford and Bakare last year

Tomorrow signing will be underwhelming I think but it’s an area of team we need cover for after Henderson’s departure.