The Arbroath Thread

Seeing the building work going on at Gayfield, it all looks fine and up to date and the changes are no doubt necessary and for the better. I'll get used to them but there's a little something inside that feels that maybe a wee bit of the character of the place is being lost.

Probably just an old man's nostalgia, no criticism intended.

6 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Seeing the building work going on at Gayfield, it all looks fine and up to date and the changes are no doubt necessary and for the better. I'll get used to them but there's a little something inside that feels that maybe a wee bit of the character of the place is being lost.

Probably just an old man's nostalgia, no criticism intended.

I get what you’re saying. Gayfield has remained practically unchanged since I started going late 70s/early 80s. Obviously much HAS changed - corporate, toilets, pie stalls, new roofs, new floodlights, segregation, advertising boards, barriers etc etc but aesthetically it’s almost identical - even the rebuilt main stand is pretty much the same as its predecessor. An old fan from the 60s would feel very much at home.

We do, however need to move with the times and the new turn-styles etc are a welcome upgrade. The day I’m dreading is if we ever decide to, or ever have to replace all or part of the terracing with seating. 

Don’t see why there would ever be a need to get rid of the terracing. Gayfield will be looking magic but I just wish the club would confirm the plan is to render that whole wall because if they only do the new block work it is going to have my OCD going off

Went into the high street shop today. Busy and 3 staff in. Really is pretty strange at how professional a set up we’ve got now. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Arbroath FC vs AFC Fylde - Wednesday 20th July 2022 - 7.30pm kick off

Arbroath FC are delighted to announce that we will welcome AFC Fylde to Gayfield on Wednesday 20th July 2022 with a 7.30pm kick off for a pre-season friendly.

The Vanarama National League North side who are based in Wesham in the Borough of Fylde in Lancashire and nicknamed “The Coasters” are very well known to Lichtie James Craigen who spent time playing at Mill Farm before originally joining Arbroath on loan in the 2019/2020 season.

This will be the first meeting between the two sides and we look forward to welcoming AFC Fylde to Gayfield in which will be a good test for both teams.

Admission Prices are as follows;
£10 - Adults
£5 - Concessions
£12 - Adult + 1 Child
£13 - Adult + 2 Children

Entry to this match is included in your season ticket which are on sale here https://www.arbroathfc.co.uk/season-tickets/

We look forward to welcoming AFC Fylde and their supporters to Gayfield Park.

C’mon the Lichties

Arbroath FC v AFC Fylde - web.jpg

8 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Let’s have a look at Scott Stewart, James Craigen & Luke Donnelly.

Moved it here to save posting Arbroath stuff in the Cove thread 😅

As always, figures can affected by club style of play so sometimes the club average for the position (hatched area) can help put context to low/high scores. Anything looks wrong just say, these aren't perfect and are always a work in progress 😅

Scott Stewart

Spoiler

stewar.thumb.png.06097c2ea05a7ddccab3365fe1a82388.png

Great defensively and incredibly effective in the air. Most of his possession work came in the final third but style of play of the team restricted how much of the ball he saw in that area, compared to other clubs.

Wasteful when he got chances.

James Craigen

Spoiler

craigen.thumb.png.8a26eae9611fb53da08880f25211fb2b.png

Doesn't do a huge amount defensively, but was important for the club in attack, so low def scores maybe just how hes asked to play?

Seems like he was one of the main creative players in midfield but also posed a large goal threat himself.

Luke Donnelly

Spoiler

donnelly.thumb.png.1873c7b4e19e7d3eefe6b27641352f91.png

Good in the air and takes risks with his forward passes, but really hes average/below average for the club and offers absolutely no goal threat so doesn't look like he'll be a huge amount of use asides from a desperate sub?

Probably really harsh.

Scott Stewart a really good ball carrier to be fair. 

James Craigen goal threat stats must be beefed up by his goals at the end of the season.

The LD goal threat things accurate. He’s a really strange player. Like as a striker that needs to be so much better but I still feel like he contributes 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Scott Stewart a really good ball carrier to be fair. 

James Craigen goal threat stats must be beefed up by his goals at the end of the season.

The LD goal threat things accurate. He’s a really strange player. Like as a striker that needs to be so much better but I still feel like he contributes 

Cheers, Craigens weird  as he fit into the CM and W categories. Sometimes playing multiple positions can boost things so you look better than you should, as a winger his goal threat score is below 50.

One of the many flaws/quirks with these it takes time to figure a way around 😅

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cheers, Craigens weird  as he fit into the CM and W categories. Sometimes playing multiple positions can boost things so you look better than you should, as a winger his goal threat score is below 50.

One of the many flaws/quirks with these it takes time to figure a way around 😅

Loving your work !!

It's a fascinating insight into different aspects of the game  that some of us either miss or gloss over. That said it's clearly not an exact science... 😉

Just now, DUAFC said:

That said it's clearly not an exact science... 😉

Aye, realistically its meant to be used alongside actually watching the player, as just numbers misses a lot of context. 

Its fun to make them though and the more I make the better they seem to be getting as I can modify them to reflect reality for more players.

On 05/06/2022 at 22:18, 1320Lichtie said:

See we have signed and bought a young striker from Inverurie Locos. 30 goals in 44 games

Kieran Shanks - 20 years old 

Player IMO.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Player IMO.

You ever see him play?

Listened to one of your ex player on a podcast and he got asked if there’s any young players he thinks should be playing at a higher level or can make name for themselves in the game and without hesitation he said Shanks

Said Peterhead or Cove would be sniffing about and maybe even Caley and County

3 year deal we got him on. Will get a wee look on Saturday through in Brechin

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

You ever see him play?

Listened to one of your ex player on a podcast (Hastings I think?) and he got asked if there’s any young players he thinks should be playing at a higher level or can make name for themselves in the game and without hesitation he said Shanks

Said Peterhead or Cove would be sniffing about and maybe even Caley and County

3 year deal we got him on. Will get a wee look on Saturday through in Brechin

Saw him against Clach last season and he was v dangerous.

11 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Any truth in the rumour I heard on Saturday that Dick Campbell is looking for 50k for Nicky Low, and a couple of teams are willing to pay it? QP apparently being one.

How would we know. 50k for Nicky Low is wild surely?