The Arbroath Thread

No one is saying he hasn’t done a decent job so far. Personally I think it’s lazy to award it to someone who’s achievement this season to date is beating a poor Hibs team 2-1 in the League Cup final. Theoretically, Rangers could still win the league, Scottish Cup and Europa League, and Arbroath could win the playoffs.
Would look like a ridiculous award then.

Looks like a ridiculous award now. Utter joke!

If Neilson wins the scottish cup and 3rd place confirmed or Mackay takes Ross County to Europe you could argue both should be manager of the year along with Dick if we were to get up. THere must be a reason it gets awarded 3/4 games before the end of the season.

No surprise the Celtic manager got manager of the year. Couldn't give it to van Bronckhurst, he hasn't been in the job long enough.

However, we as supporters and as a club should be proud that Dick was a shortlisted nominee. What has been achieved on and off the park these last 6 years is nothing short of remarkable. The club has moved forward into the 21st century and has done the town proud.

6 hours ago, stan3600 said:

I was skipping between that game, Bournemouth v Forest and Villareal v Liverpool. Partick v ICT didn’t look good. emoji848.png ICT have a bit about them in attack.

That only came to the fore in the last 20-25 mins, prior to that it was a dire game.

Imagine it’ll be on Saturday 

Not fancying Inverness. Would prefer Partick

Agree but we finished above these teams for a reason, keep the away leg tight and hopefully with a big home crowd we can finish the job at gayfield.
Im assuming/hoping gatson will be fit? Special mention for him, although he didn’t win any awards he’s been brilliant this season pulling off some unbelievable saves and generally being solid, great news he’s signed on!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/09/arbroath-scottish-premiership-play-offs-dick-campbell#comment-156322148

Guardian Pick

Michael McKenna did some of the electrical work in my flat in Edinburgh. Let's just say his performances on the pitch are better than his plastering work to cover up electrical cables.

Also worth noting that Meadowbank Thistle were only stopped from promotion to the Premier League in 1986 by reconstruction, and they were a far smaller team than Arbroath. Of course, they were subsequently destroyed and franchised out to Livingston FC. Probably as big an achievement as what Arbroath have managed.

Anyway, best of luck to Arbroath, a great club and cracking away day."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/09/arbroath-scottish-premiership-play-offs-dick-campbell#comment-156322148

Guardian Pick
Michael McKenna did some of the electrical work in my flat in Edinburgh. Let's just say his performances on the pitch are better than his plastering work to cover up electrical cables.
Also worth noting that Meadowbank Thistle were only stopped from promotion to the Premier League in 1986 by reconstruction, and they were a far smaller team than Arbroath. Of course, they were subsequently destroyed and franchised out to Livingston FC. Probably as big an achievement as what Arbroath have managed.
Anyway, best of luck to Arbroath, a great club and cracking away day."

Meadowbank Thistle finished 3rd in the third tier in 1985/86. It was 1987/88 where they finished 2nd in the second tier but missed out on promotion.

I don't think that was anything like the achievement of Arbroath this year though, given that there were loads more part-time clubs during that era. Arbroath this season had to finish above 8 full-time clubs in the Championship (plus 2 in the tier below).

Look I’ve loved the coverage we’ve had and our achievements have been phenomenal this season we are top of the charts in basically every category but points which is ultimately all that matters. But some of the articles etc getting a wee bit over the top and Hollywood for my liking.

There’s a reason this has happened, clubs grown massively off the park. We are now effectively a middle of the road Championship club thanks to the board and the inroads they’ve made into the community and commercially. We have finished 5th in this league just 2 seasons ago too. At the end of the day we are only 3 places higher. 

You’d think we were some amateur outfit with the way some articles go on

Edited by 1320Lichtie

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Look I’ve loved the coverage we’ve had and our achievements have been phenomenal this season we are top of the charts in basically every category but points which is ultimately all that matters. But some of the articles etc getting a wee bit over the top and Hollywood for my liking.

There’s a reason this has happened, clubs grown massively off the park. We are now effectively a middle of the road Championship club thanks to the board and the inroads they’ve made into the community and commercially. We have finished 5th in this league just 2 seasons ago too. At the end of the day we are only 3 places higher. 

You’d think we were some amateur outfit with the way some articles go on

I think that’s why a lot of people on here (and on Twitter) were happy Killie beat you a few weeks ago.  A lot of the stuff, even on AVFTT, was way OTT. So much so that it had a opposite of the desired effect and made neutrals actually resent Arbroath. 

You’re right, Arbroath are not some rag tag bunch of amateurs about to win the Scottish Cup, you’re a Championship club with a settled side. Of course you’re going to improve as the personnel stays steady over the seasons.

I think that’s why a lot of people on here (and on Twitter) were happy Killie beat you a few weeks ago.  A lot of the stuff, even on AVFTT, was way OTT. So much so that it had a opposite of the desired effect and made neutrals actually resent Arbroath. 

You’re right, Arbroath are not some rag tag bunch of amateurs about to win the Scottish Cup, you’re a Championship club with a settled side. Of course you’re going to improve as the personnel stays steady over the seasons.

Yeah I don’t really blame them, any other club in our position and I wouldn’t be fawning over them and saying how much I hope they go up etc

As said by others, I’m also getting a bit scunnered by all this OTT fairytale stuff. If anything, Arbroath fc has massively underperformed for decades, aside from the wee 2 season cameo in the second tier in the early 2000s.

Yes it would be a huge achievement as Scottish football in the modern era is very much skewed towards full time sides but plenty of other part-time sides have been in the top division, even since reconstruction in ‘76.

Having said that, in the very modern era it’s incredibly difficult to compete with full-time sides over a season. If it wasn’t then plenty of other teams would have done it in the last 20-30 years.

I would love it if our success this season acted as a catalyst for more part-time sides to be a bit more ambitious.