The Arbroath Thread

I see we've signed a young striker, Skelly on loan from Dundee. Got to imagine Grehan will be leaving then?

No sure, because even with Skelly that's still 4, I think? Victoria definitely will never play again. Rutherford and the 2 young lads if Grehan goes.

Rutherford looked class last 2 games but think we're struggling for a goal scoring striker we can rely on still. Kane and Skelly obviously just still very young.

Linns by far and away the top scorer for us just now I'm sure.

Why do people always hold a players age against them, especially when they are young, when judging their ability to play?

Are they somewhat not good enough because of their age so we need more experienced players instead..........PISH.

If they are good enough, they are old enough.

Kane Hester has barely been given a chance to show what he can do as the starting striker. Greham has done the square root of f all up front.

Look at the thousands of players around the world that are 15, 16, 17 that get much much much more game time at clubs ahead of the older experienced players. Its because they have shown that they can play just as well and the manager and fans have faith in these young players.

Could Kane or any other young player do a job for this team...............we wont find out if they are on the bench or in the stand every week.

Why do people always hold a players age against them, especially when they are young, when judging their ability to play?

Are they somewhat not good enough because of their age so we need more experienced players instead..........PISH.

If they are good enough, they are old enough.

Kane Hester has barely been given a chance to show what he can do as the starting striker. Greham has done the square root of f all up front.

Look at the thousands of players around the world that are 15, 16, 17 that get much much much more game time at clubs ahead of the older experienced players. Its because they have shown that they can play just as well and the manager and fans have faith in these young players.

Could Kane or any other young player do a job for this team...............we wont find out if they are on the bench or in the stand every week.

I'm not using their age against them, they're young and inexperienced, I just don't think it's fair to expect to much from them, even if they are good players.

Same in any job.

Our fans love to have to express their angst at a player. Wilson was unfortunately the victim earlier in the season, now it's turned to Grehan.

As for age - don't you recall Lee Erwin? All the talk on the terrace about signing a "youngster" and look how good he was for us.

As for Josh Skelly - well he already knows Gayfield pretty well.

ooof pick that out!

Our fans love to have to express their angst at a player. Wilson was unfortunately the victim earlier in the season, now it's turned to Grehan.

As for age - don't you recall Lee Erwin? All the talk on the terrace about signing a "youngster" and look how good he was for us.

As for Josh Skelly - well he already knows Gayfield pretty well.

ooof pick that out!

Lee Erwin was brilliant, what's it with everybody picking up on this age thing?

All I'm saying is it's not fair on us to be expecting too much from players that are so young and inexperienced, it's not fair.

I'm all for playing them if they're good enough.

As long as people realise this and don't get on their back too much, strikers seem to take the biggest amount of stick if things aren't going well, one of the most important positions on the park.

I have seen some utterly bizarre comments in the last few days regarding this signing, which really do prove people have made up their mind regarding Todd and will moan about absolutely anything he does.

Currently, we have Rutherford, Grehan and Hester signed as striking options. Now, the same folk who demand we play 2 upfront seem to be put out that we have signed a fourth striking option, complaining that Hester should be getting a chance ahead of him. That's a fair opinion regarding Hester getting game time, but do people really think it's a good idea to go with 2 upfront, with our only option off the bench to change it up being Martin Grehan? Considering the same voices are complaining about his performances, I'm pretty sure they disagree with themselves here... No cover, no option other than a big man off the bench and if anyone were to get injured we would be left with 2 strikers for months on end. I have a funny feeling that further down the line the same people who are complaining about this signing would have been complaining we needed to sign a striker when injuries hit/ we need another option off the bench :lol:

I've also seen people moaning that we have signed another loan player, as Todd said pre season this was a route he didn't want to go down. If the option is sign NO players, or sign loan players, what's the preference? Considering there are far more options loan wise than there are free agents at the moment, and the chances are anyone we sign now will be on a contract till the end of the season (loan or otherwise) I don't really see any issue with this at all. If we had just signed Simon Murray on loan, would people be of the same opinion?

The bottom line for the manager is to win games. If Hester is good enough, then he'll start ahead of Skelly. Right now we have a rapidly improving forward in Rutherford plus 2 exciting options in Hester and Skelly. Grehan deserves respect for the shifts he has put in when played. Who plays when will be a tricky call, but I imagine Rutherford plus Linn as the start with Hester and Skelly as the impact subs. Grehan as cover for injuries. Nobody wants to see us rely on loans but if we can't secure quality signings then good youngsters like Skelly are a great option.

Do they even know that the flare at Cowden was an Arbroath fan as no actual segregation was in place. Feel arbroath is getting a bad rep when they are far worse in Scottish football and haven't seen any real bother from our fans in all the years I've been going. Are they going to throw the players managers and directors out of the ground if they swear I think not.

Edited by Hammerafc