The Arbroath Thread

The point i make about Linn coming too deep for the ball is that when we are up against it and needing a goal, you can see everyone begging for Linn to run into to the space afforded to him by the opposition full backs, yet we see him time and again run back to the halfway line to get the ball. Its great that he wants to be the outlet and start the attacks but it affords the opposition too much time to get men behind the ball and wait for our attacks.

He could cause all sorts of problems if he was to try running into the open space on the wings rather than drop deep all the time.

And my Reid / Gold point was cause they can play on the wing..... just not very effective.

I should've been more specific;a holding/defensive midfielder. Whatley and Stewart first choice is fine but Stewart is quite injury prone. Clarke is far too slow to play at this level, McWalter wants out, Gold at centre midfield wouldn't work at all and Ramsay has never played centre midfield so I don't know where you're getting that from.

Played centre mid for sevco, more of an attacking midfielder tho

I think as things stand our squad, with all signed up till the end of the season, is as follows:

Allan Fleming

Calum Brodie

Craig Wilson

Craig Watson

Andy Munro

Ricky Little

Jordon Lowdon

Craig Johnstone

Bobby Linn

Jamie Reid

Sergio Alvarez

Jamie Clarke

Keiran Stewart

David Gold

Mark Whatley

Darren Ramsay

Kane Hester

Martin Grehan

Greg Rutherford

I presume McWalter and Vitoria have left the club, but there hasn't been any official confirmation on either of them.

That's 19 on the books currently, so I think aside from maybe adding anyone one, anyone else on top of that would be a one in one out policy, partly for financial reasons but partly as out of those 19 every player bar Calum Brodie and maybe Kane Hester could argue they should be starting, and keeping 17/18 'starters' happy when you can only pick 11 each week is virtually impossible, let alone if we had 2/3 additions on top of that without anyone leaving.

If Andy Ryan isn't offered a full time deal and we manage to get him signed up at the end of January for the rest of the season that would be a good addition in my opinion, but aside from this I think we need to look to sign 2/3 players to strengthen the squad overall. Going on a 1 in 1 out policy, I think it very likely that it'll be Grehan and Gold or Clarke who leave the club in the coming weeks, and I wouldn't be overly surprised if Grehan has already left.

The reason I've picked Grehan, Gold and Clarke?

Grehan hasn't ever got properly fit in the time he has been with us due to various niggly injuries, and to be honest I just feel his time as a player in the SPFL has come to an end (as Stenny fans did warn us in the summer). Playing 1 up top requires the 1 to at least be able to chase down, create chances for others while getting in a few goals themself. Grehan has 1 goal in around 15 league games, is far less mobile than any of the other options we have, and I certainly can't remember him getting many assists either. In my opinion, Rutherford has performed far better than Grehan in the time he has been at the club, and if we were to bring another striker in it would leave Grehan as fourth choice in my opinion, and if we're playing 1 up we certainly don't need a 4th choice striker who is going to be on a senior players wage.

Gold, although very skillful, flatters to deceive in my opinion. Whenever we're struggling in games, Gold goes missing. He doesn't put in the shift that's required, and he doesn't create/ score anywhere enough to compensate for this. we can't afford to carry passengers at the moment, and there are games where for large parts of them that's what Gold has been, hence the reason he has been on the bench more often than not. Berwick were absolutely woeful last season, and David Gold was in and out of their team, similar to how things have worked out for him/ us this season. If we are aspiring to be at the top end of this division, and even get players signed up who could do a job in the division above, Gold is one of the first players out the door unfortunately. He simply doesn't offer enough in any of the positions he can play in my opinion.

Jamie Clarke is a player I watched a lot at Broughty last season (and I still love him for his winning penalty at Armadale that saw Broughty get promotion :D ) but unfortunately he has struggled with the pace of the game at this level, and has been caught on the ball what feels like several times a game when he has started. I would certainly look at Grehan/ Gold leaving before Clarke if it came down to it, but I accept Clarke hasn't offered enough to get a regular place in the starting line up and if we were to sign another central midfielder alongside Whatley/ Stewart, this would put Clarke as fourth choice for the position.

I could also see Sergio potentially leaving the club this month, although I hope that won't be the case. There are also a few players in the starting line up who I feel we could definitely improve on, but the guys who aren't getting a regular game are always going to leave before the guys who start most weeks.

Grehan wasn't in the squad Saturday... Haven't noticed if that's happened before then or not? Can't see Gold leaving, he does a job. Clarke maybe.

If Grehan has left and we are left with just Rutherford and Hester we will surely be looking for a striker?

Eta: maybe waiting to see what happens with Andy Ryan?

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Grehan wasn't in the squad Saturday... Haven't noticed if that's happened before then or not? Can't see Gold leaving, he does a job. Clarke maybe.

If Grehan has left and we are left with just Rutherford and Hester we will surely be looking for a striker?

Eta: maybe waiting to see what happens with Andy Ryan?

Grehan was injured for the QP and Clyde games, so may still be out.

Wouldn't be bothered if Grehan left considering his very poor league record and his lack of mobility. Rutherford coming onto a game recently but we need a quick striker. Be a massive boost if we could keep Andy Ryan till the end of the season but that'll depend on whether he has any full time offers.

Agree with the first two points and the first part of the third. You say Gold and Reid don't do enough as wingers-when they're not actually wingers. Reid has played through the middle during his recent run of starts and the last time I recall Gold playing on the wing was at Elgin when Linn and Ramsay were both injured.

Don't really get the point about Linn coming too deep, he's having his most prolific season yet for us so I think we'd be as well leaving him to do his own thing.

I expect McWalter to leave and wouldn't object to Clarke leaving provided we replace them.

Well said, just one question,how many goals (apart from Hester,who really is a striker) have the so called strikers scored this season ?

Andy Ryan's got 4 in the league for us.

Oh aye. Forgot about him, was looking at the goal scoring charts and he'll obviously not be on it.

Shows how important he has been though this season.

Eta: courier has us getting rid of McWalter and Victoria. No surprise.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Shaun Rutherford

Arbroath are delighted to announce that Shaun Rutherford has signed on a development loan from Queen of the South this morning until the end of the season.

Shaun (19) is a left sided defender and had been at Livingston last year and is a former Heart of Midlothian youth player.

Edited by Gayfield

I presume McWalter and Vitoria have left the club

Eta: courier has us getting rid of McWalter and Victoria. No surprise.

8) 8) 8)

Looks like Stonie is totally fucked as was mentioned by Lichtie78 with us signing a left back on a development loan, which is a real shame :(