The Arbroath Thread

Not sure what tonight has achieved - a home pumping, laying bare our weaknesses - a completely toothless attack, and lack of quality depth at the back and in the middle. Antell also showing what we've heard from fans of pretty much every team he's been at.

A wee bit worried about Saturday as our normally solid defence has started leaking goals. We know we can't score but at least we were difficult to score against.

Ach, it's only a friendly.

I suppose the March served its purpose of giving players some minutes. A bit worrying to see Bobby limping off but hopefully it’s nothing. Chris Hamilton looked ok - do we need another right back? (Don’t answer that.) Dick said he is a holding midfielder. Paterson improved as the game went on. Coming straight from the Juniors he’ll need time. Antell looks a bit of a bomb scare. What a goal from Clarke! Glenn? Not sure, but he certainly got involved. I’m a bit concerned not to see a central striker on trial.

Chris Hamilton has done the rounds at Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, Berwick. I think he's supposed to be a centre half but is only about three feet tall so ends up getting shunted all over the pitch. He played on the right of midfield at times for Dumbarton.

38 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

I suppose the March served its purpose of giving players some minutes. A bit worrying to see Bobby limping off but hopefully it’s nothing. Chris Hamilton looked ok - do we need another right back? (Don’t answer that.) Dick said he is a holding midfielder. Paterson improved as the game went on. Coming straight from the Juniors he’ll need time. Antell looks a bit of a bomb scare. What a goal from Clarke! Glenn? Not sure, but he certainly got involved. I’m a bit concerned not to see a central striker on trial.

The bold bit is what really concerns me. Yes, we all agree that we desperately need striker/s but here we are, 9 days from our first league game and there seems to be absolutely zero urgency with even trialing anyone in friendlies.

3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

The bold bit is what really concerns me. Yes, we all agree that we desperately need striker/s but here we are, 9 days from our first league game and there seems to be absolutely zero urgency with even trialing anyone in friendlies.

Any free decent striker be snapped up already so highly unlikely to see a one on trial IMO. If we are bringing a striker in will either be loan or for a small fee id imagine.

going by DC post match comments he liked the look of Glenn but said he's nowhere near fitness levels so that might be something to keep an eye on. he said the all the English boys that are here aren't fit enough as of yet.  

1 minute ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Any free decent striker be snapped up already so highly unlikely to see a one on trial IMO. If we are bringing a striker in will either be loan or for a small fee id imagine.

Understand that but, as it's obviously the very big "elephant in the room", what harm would there be in at least trialing someone - there must be lower league/non league strikers out there that would be worth giving a trial to. We've found some gems from non-league in the past - Linn, Low, Murray.

Very hard to justify Linn & Low as gems plucked from the lower leagues. Have absolutely no doubt DC will be after a striker, and until he’s found someone worth signing/coming on trial I’d rather just get minutes into Donnelly & Hilson. Unfair to say we haven’t looked either, as Chris Wreh played up front vs Livingston and I believe we were supposed to have a trialist striker play in the cancelled Falkirk friendly.