The Arbroath Thread

On 16/05/2021 at 12:48, timlichtie said:

Jimmy Greaves put his success in goal scoring down to not moving around much. He claimed it made him harder to mark. There’s no doubt that the well timed sprint from a static position got him goals. Jack certainly popped up in the right places to score for us.

More than 50 years ago ffs.

The game has moved on quite a lot since then.

With Stevie Crawford resigning from Dunfermline FC what are the chances of them going for Stewart Petrie who is an ex-Pars hero?

I hope they do but i think he still has a good job in the Bank so not sure financially he would go for it unless the lure of Managing a full-time club he loves is a big carrot for him. 

TBH i would have thought once that DC hangs up his bunnet that SP would seem the ideal replacement to take over from him given him being close to the Campbell's plus SP's experience of being at Gayfield before and us being the biggest and best club in Angus and hopefully always a league or 2 above our Angus rivals.

Smokies & Wine, 36-0.  

4 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

With Stevie Crawford resigning from Dunfermline FC what are the chances of them going for Stewart Petrie who is an ex-Pars hero?

I hope they do but i think he still has a good job in the Bank so not sure financially he would go for it unless the lure of Managing a full-time club he loves is a big carrot for him. 

TBH i would have thought once that DC hangs up his bunnet that SP would seem the ideal replacement to take over from him given him being close to the Campbell's plus SP's experience of being at Gayfield before and us being the biggest and best club in Angus and hopefully always a league or 2 above our Angus rivals.

Smokies & Wine, 36-0.  

I personally think it would be a risk for Dunfermline to go for an unproven (full time) manager. I have a feeling they will try to get him though, if he takes the job it will either make or break him as a manager - something he may not be willing to risk given his job and current good reputation. If he decides he wants to stay part-time then I would also like to see him at Gayfield in future.

Edited by Tattie36

4 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Smokies & Wine, 36-0.  

Why do some Arbroath fans think as soon as DC is away SP is straight in at Gayfield....Mental! 

For one when DC does hang up the bunnet or gets punted say for instance you have just been relegated to League 1 and we have just been promoted to the championship,why would he leave Montrose to go to Arbroath? He is absolutely worshipped at Montrose and I personally don't think  he would jeopardise that just yet.Am not saying he won't mange Arbroath he might 10 years down the line after being at a few clubs, but this talk of as soon as DC is finished SP is straight in the door at Gayfield is crazy.

55 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Why do some Arbroath fans think as soon as DC is away SP is straight in at Gayfield....Mental! 

For one when DC does hang up the bunnet or gets punted say for instance you have just been relegated to League 1 and we have just been promoted to the championship,why would he leave Montrose to go to Arbroath? He is absolutely worshipped at Montrose and I personally don't think  he would jeopardise that just yet.Am not saying he won't mange Arbroath he might 10 years down the line after being at a few clubs, but this talk of as soon as DC is finished SP is straight in the door at Gayfield is crazy.

Montrose get to the Championship? Good one

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Montrose get to the Championship? Good one

The progress we are making each year could quite easily happen,even you know that! 

Edited by mo83

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

The progress we are making each year could quite easily happen,even you know that! 

You lost to one of the worst championship sides Iv seen in Morton. Still a long way to go IMO. 

12 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

You lost to one of the worst championship sides Iv seen in Morton. Still a long way to go IMO. 

Agree with you their not a great side,we played 4 games in 11 days beating 3 full time teams in a row on the way came up short a the end fixture schedule was horrendous.Falkirk were piss poor also and you lot struggled against them.

Edited by mo83

I don’t think Montrose are a million miles away from seriously challenging to get into the championship. I fear though that this season may have been their best chance.

Some significant issues I see for them are: a few of their top, most influential players are getting on a bit; they are weak in certain areas - defence and GK in particular; and the main one is that they are likely to soon lose their biggest asset in Petrie - if not to Dunfermline then there are a few other teams/offers that may tempt him in the near future.

Having said that, Petrie may be more than happy with his current situation. Plenty of promising, young managers have f*cked their careers by taking a job that was too big for them too soon. Get a few players in and strengthen the weaknesses and who knows.

23 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Agree with you their not a great side,we played 4 games in 11 days beating 3 full time teams in a row on the way came up short a the end fixture schedule was horrendous.Falkirk were piss poor also and you lot struggled against them.

I agree that Montrose have made great progress in recent years but you squeezed into the play offs in the last minute of a 22 game season. Remember we absolutely scooshed league 1 without breaking sweat and have now spent 2 solid years in the championship so i think there's still a big gap between the clubs.  

I actually think Petrie (if he doesn't want to go full time) would jump at the chance of coming to Arbroath and don't quite find it "crazy" as you say. Think some Mo fans need to settle down a bit IAH.

14 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

I agree that Montrose have made great progress in recent years but you squeezed into the play offs in the last minute of a 22 game season. Remember we absolutely scooshed league 1 without breaking sweat and have now spent 2 solid years in the championship so i think there's still a big gap between the clubs.  

I actually think Petrie (if he doesn't want to go full time) would jump at the chance of coming to Arbroath and don't quite find it "crazy" as you say. Think some Mo fans need to settle down a bit IAH.

Jump at the chance!Just don't see it myself to be honest.Yes Arbroath are well run and in a higher league at the moment but just can't see SP jumping ship to  you lot Arbroath had their chance with him same with Forfar and never took their chance.

When do you think Dick will hang up the bunnet?

Jump at the chance!Just don't see it myself to be honest.Yes Arbroath are well run and in a higher league at the moment but just can't see SP jumping ship to  you lot Arbroath had their chance with him same with Forfar and never took their chance.
Clearly he would jump at the chance of returning to Gayfield. I'm sure he still dreams of his time with Arbroath on a daily basis and can't wait to get back to the Holy Grail of part time football.

9 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

The fact of the matter is, if we wanted anyone from links park, we could get them. We are absolutely massive & so is our bank account.

The fact of the matter is,nobody cares how much money you have.

4 hours ago, mo83 said:

No idea, don't really want him to either but i suppose he cant go on forever. 

If Petrie doesn't go full time this summer with the Dunfermline, Falkirk and Inverness jobs available that would mean he either doesn't want to or is just continuously being overlooked and the only other step up for him at part time is to come to us.

The way we have been progressing over the last few years maybe Petrie might be out his depth, its a massive step going from a team of Masons Watsons and Flemings to the likes of ToB Linn and Low, Even with his experience of working in a bank i don't think he would know what to do with all our money,

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

The way we have been progressing over the last few years maybe Petrie might be out his depth, its a massive step going from a team of Masons Watsons and Flemings to the likes of ToB Linn and Low, Even with his experience of working in a bank i don't think he would know what to do with all our money,

Rumours back in 2008 were that Stewart Petrie almost single handidely caused the banking crisis - I wouldn't want him near our sweet, sweet potato money.