The Arbroath Thread

Even though I have a Killie-supporting next door neighbour, I'm more intersted in Kilmarnock coming down. Last time we visited was over 30 years ago, and it's one of the few Scottish league grounds I've never seen Arbroath play at

Even though I have a Killie-supporting next door neighbour, I'm more intersted in Kilmarnock coming down. Last time we visited was over 30 years ago, and it's one of the few Scottish league grounds I've never seen Arbroath play at

Agree, Rugby Park is a decent stadium. A good away day too. It’s just a shame about the plastic pitch.

Yeah, last time I visited was when they still had the half covered curved Johnnie Walker end and the social club under the stand with cheap pints and free burgers.

The 1980's were a different time!

Wasn't an Arbroath game though, so it doesn't count.Rugby Park (1994)

Edited by lichtgilphead

39 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

There are different shades of maroon? 

Canr ever remember it being as dark as Leicester’s. There’s is quite purple.

Yes there are different shades of maroon but back in 60s & 70s and perhaps later our maroon was darker it has now become redder. Just check out the club web site for the replica items 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

There are different shades of maroon? 

Canr ever remember it being as dark as Leicester’s. There’s is quite purple.

Back in the 70s we had a much darker maroon, until the current top, we had been more claret than maroon, oh and am not keen on the new black strip, not keen at all

4 hours ago, ahfpjim said:

Great to see Leicester today playing in the maroon colours but our maroon you can see is too red. Who decided on the change of shade ?.

Would've preferred to have watched Leicester play in blue but the deep maroon kit used today was the winning formula. As a supporter of both clubs, I have to say I've been blessed in recent years to seeing a fair bit of success between them.

50 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Would've preferred to have watched Leicester play in blue but the deep maroon kit used today was the winning formula. As a supporter of both clubs, I have to say I've been blessed in recent years to seeing a fair bit of success between them.

You’ll be getting called a glory hunter soon

34 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

His goal scoring is not in doubt - he just needs to raise his work rate a bit.

I'm not sure on this to be honest...... I think some strikers are quite simply goalscorers and that's what they do, due to their instinctive positioning/ reading of the game quite often. While there's multiple reasons Hamilton had a far better season than Doolan, one of them would be the comparison of time actually spent in the penalty box. Doolan spent a large portion of games dropping deep for the ball, while Hamilton concentrated on being where he needed to be to score the goals.

I think Hamilton is a player it'd be very difficult to play up top by himself, and like all strike partnerships he also wouldn't work alongside another player similiar to him. If he plays alongside someone who can do the running/ drop deep to get the ball/ link things up, I think it probably suits him and lets him get on with what he's best at. That, for me, is one of the big differences the higher up you go.... less running after like a headless chicken and chasing everything and more reading of the game and appropriate positioning.

I think that the higher the work rate outside the box, the less chances you get in the box as a striker most of the time. That being the case, there's probably an argument that if Jack Hamilton had a higher work rate, he may have had a couple less goals, and we may not have the luxury of in depth discussions on the right/ wrong shade of maroon and all be shitting ourselves in the lead up to the play off final :D

I'm not sure on this to be honest...... I think some strikers are quite simply goalscorers and that's what they do, due to their instinctive positioning/ reading of the game quite often. While there's multiple reasons Hamilton had a far better season than Doolan, one of them would be the comparison of time actually spent in the penalty box. Doolan spent a large portion of games dropping deep for the ball, while Hamilton concentrated on being where he needed to be to score the goals.
I think Hamilton is a player it'd be very difficult to play up top by himself, and like all strike partnerships he also wouldn't work alongside another player similiar to him. If he plays alongside someone who can do the running/ drop deep to get the ball/ link things up, I think it probably suits him and lets him get on with what he's best at. That, for me, is one of the big differences the higher up you go.... less running after like a headless chicken and chasing everything and more reading of the game and appropriate positioning.
I think that the higher the work rate outside the box, the less chances you get in the box as a striker most of the time. That being the case, there's probably an argument that if Jack Hamilton had a higher work rate, he may have had a couple less goals, and we may not have the luxury of in depth discussions on the right/ wrong shade of maroon and all be shitting ourselves in the lead up to the play off final [emoji3]

Good points. It’s not so much pressing the opposition more (although he could do that too) it’s making more runs in attacking positions. Harry Kane, Mo Salah and Kevin Nisbet do a lot of running. But he did save our bacon.

I think that the higher the work rate outside the box, the less chances you get in the box as a striker most of the time. That being the case, there's probably an argument that if Jack Hamilton had a higher work rate, he may have had a couple less goals, and we may not have the luxury of in depth discussions on the right/ wrong shade of maroon and all be shitting ourselves in the lead up to the play off final [emoji3]

Jimmy Greaves put his success in goal scoring down to not moving around much. He claimed it made him harder to mark. There’s no doubt that the well timed sprint from a static position got him goals. Jack certainly popped up in the right places to score for us.

Yeah, last time I visited was when they still had the half covered curved Johnnie Walker end and the social club under the stand with cheap pints and free burgers.
The 1980's were a different time!
Wasn't an Arbroath game though, so it doesn't count.c18ac4c7-6cf0-473c-a100-c98bdbc9165f&key=e7209bfa5b1bb9b4fefc52c99281ed489da39cc5978ec7bc394213536e795b47
That's a great picture that, where is it from?
It's likely just my own nostalgia (and I don't think I ever saw Ayr win there) but I much preferred that Rugby Park to the current one.

41 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

That's a great picture that, where is it from?
It's likely just my own nostalgia (and I don't think I ever saw Ayr win there) but I much preferred that Rugby Park to the current one.

I just did a google image search on "old rugby park kilmarnock" and the image was about 20th on the list. Here's the link

17 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Chelsea have an all white strip, not sure why they didn't both change yesterday