The Arbroath Thread

Without doubt if there is a strong wind you take advantage and play with it in your favour.

As has been said, the wind could change, you could be 2/3/4 goals down at half-time and the opposition then just "park the bus".

Also the "myth" that Red Lichtie players should be "used to the wind" is a nonsense as maybe years ago it was true when they trained at Gayfield but not nowadays as we train in Perth so really are only at Gayfield on average once a fortnight.

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.

Any idea if Ryan McCord signed for another club after leaving Brechin City?

What a player with fantastic ability and a superb goals per game for us especially as he was mainly used as a midfielder.

Scored some of the best goals i have ever seen at Gayfield, the one at the Pleasureland end when he was nearly on the line beside the corner flag at the sea side and turned and swerved it round and over the keeper and into the net, only players with his ability would have tried that.

His claim to fame was his debut for DUFC was coming on as a sub v Barcelona in a summer friendly at Tannadice and Messi came on at the same time, the difference was Ryan hardly got a touch of the ball and Messi notched a hat-trick!!

Last i heard he had played a couple of games for broughty athletic. Such a shame he couldn’t be bothered to keep fit.

Yes. Ryan’s skill level was amazing, but his lack of fitness let him down big time. I remember watching him as a sub warm up at half time away to East Fife a couple of years ago and even that was entertaining. The things he could do with a football.

7 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Without doubt if there is a strong wind you take advantage and play with it in your favour.

As has been said, the wind could change, you could be 2/3/4 goals down at half-time and the opposition then just "park the bus".

Also the "myth" that Red Lichtie players should be "used to the wind" is a nonsense as maybe years ago it was true when they trained at Gayfield but not nowadays as we train in Perth so really are only at Gayfield on average once a fortnight.

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.

How often has the wind changed when it’s been as bad as it is? I can’t ever remember it happening?

First half playing against it, time waste, shitfest it, refs seem less likely to book for time wasting, be clever about it, usually seems to be less time added on at end of first half, pressure is on the other team to score... go in at half time knowing exactly what you need to do. 

How many times we done the above in previous seasons, in the league winning season 3 or 4 times I think, ended up winning 3-1 after going a goal down. Dunfermline at home last season sticks out too. Partick at home the opposite happened though and we got 2 up.

Always against it first for me that’s my preference 

14 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Barring injury and suspension Jack Hamilton should be our number 9 until the end of the season. As it stands we are 8th by the way

Yes, great having a centre forward, able to get around the pitch, put himself about and be a pest to the opposition centre backs

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - VOTE

There is still time to vote for your TASC Social Media Man of the Match after our Lichties deserved 2-0 victory over high flying Dunfermline at a wet and wild Gayfield yesterday. To vote pop over to the Facebook or Twitter pages. Voting closes tonight at 5pm

https://www.facebook.com/272000992837245/posts/3843819552322020/?d=n

Great result guys, hope you continue your recent good form, as i mentioned a while back in this thread my girlfriend's dutch father is a big Arbroath fan he was delighted yesterday, I've always had a soft spot for them as it was one of my first killie away days way back in 1989 i think.

Good to see someone i like getting results, if our current form continues we might get to play each other next season. 

As regards wind at Gayfield i remember being at a game one Boxing day where the ball remained airborne for the first 15 minutes until the ref decided enough was enough and abandoned it, it was wild. 

Good luck for the rest of the season guys💪

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Michael Mckenna on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties 2-0 win over high flying Dunfermline Athletic at a wild Gayfield yesterday. Michael has just passed the 3 year mark at the club and celebrated the milestone with a tireless performance in the heart of the Lichties midfield.

Even though Michael has deservedly won the award this week I think it’s fair to say that any player in maroon (or fluorescent yellow in Gastons case) would have have been very worthy winners. Thanks to all who voted [emoji1145]IMG_6069.jpg

I voted for McKenna but to be honest i think there should not have been a vote this week as "unusually" this was a week where EVERY Red Lichtie player including the subs was MOM so it should have went to the whole team but being pushed to pick the best of the best McKenna would win it......just.

36-0. 

1 hour ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I voted for McKenna but to be honest i think there should not have been a vote this week as "unusually" this was a week where EVERY Red Lichtie player including the subs was MOM so it should have went to the whole team but being pushed to pick the best of the best McKenna would win it......just.

36-0. 

No issue with him getting it

Twelve critical games left. The March fixtures look challenging so we’ll need to making the most of other games. Still, we’re in a much better place than in recent months, with momentum and confidence greatly improved. Since Alloa and ourselves have kind of caught up with the other stragglers, it might make for an interesting final 3 months of the season.