The Arbroath Thread

Gutted to see Miko being recalled by the Dons but to be honest he is not what we need just now (and has never really been a goal threat even although he is a great player), also agree he has not reached the levels as last season but again this has been a strange season with no fans etc so that could maybe affect certain players performances, also i think i am correct in saying Miko is out of contract at the end of this season so maybe Aberdeen FC want to to see Miko in more reserve/development games before the end of the season to make a final decision on him to either give him another contract or give him a free?

In regards Ruth, the little i have seen of him i have liked what i have saw, he is quick and direct and does not look scared to take players on so i agree if the Dons are letting him play in the cup game on Saturday i would give him a start (as well as Bobby).

In regards Smith, i have heard at training he looks superb, so again unsure why he has not had more of a chance as in pre-season (cannot remember what game it was) but in the space of 15 minutes he had scored a goal/set up a goal/and made the goalkeeper make a great save, so i am not saying to start him but i would have maybe gave him more minutes from the bench when we have been chasing games.

Lets see what players DC has up his sleeve.

#ThrowbackThursday

As it’s Scottish Cup week we are throwing it back to the 1992/93 season when our Danny McGrain lead Lichties made a magical run to the Quarter Finals of the famous cup competition. After needing a replay to get past non league Gala Fairydean in the 2nd round we were rewarded with a home draw against 1st division Greenock Morton. We entered the tie as underdogs as we were a mid table 2nd division side at the time but easily disposed of the Greenock side 3-0 with Stuart Sorbie grabbing a hat trick in the victory. Next up was a 4th round tie against fellow division 2 side East Fife. After a dull 0-0 draw at Gayfield we travelled to old Bayview Stadium for a replay that lives long in the mind of the older Lichties faithful. Martin and a young Paul Tosh both scoring twice in a scintillating 4-1 win in front of over 4000 fans. Unfortunately Paul would receive a late red card which meant he would miss out on the quarter final matchup with Glasgow Rangers. Gayfield was a sell out on the 6th of March 1993 as Walter Smith brought his Glasgow Giants that included the likes of Mark Hateley, Richard Gough, Andy Goram and Ally McCoist to the east coast. Unfortunately this is where our cup run ended as we succumbed 3-0 thanks to goals from Neil Murray, Ally McCoist and Mark Hateley. That seasons cup run will live long in the memory of Lichties as we found ourselves only 2 games away from The National competitions final. Let’s hope the lads can start another cup run on Saturday [emoji1145][emoji471]

Any chance our clubs could agree to do what Livingston are doing and play the game on Sunday? Below freezing on Friday night but by Sunday pitch should be playable. Maybe too much like common sense 

Our covers are down and have been since Tuesday. I’d be very surprised if the game isn’t on

Sorry to hear young Connor Smith go without getting a real chance with us.

In regards strikers out there who "could" be available read today that 25 year old DUFC striker Cammy Smith is leaving the Arabs at the end of January, he has been on loan at Ayr United and has scored 3 goals in (i think) 9 games for them this season so obviously knows where the net is at this level, the only thing is i would guess Ayr Utd would be in for him and he would want to stay full-time?

Others again i always mention Lee Irwin or what about the young lad Hendry (Colin's son) at the Saints? He was on loan at Brechin before and scored a few goals in a struggling team then got into the Saints 1st team and scored a few for them but do not think he is getting a game just now?

28 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Sorry to hear young Connor Smith go without getting a real chance with us.

In regards strikers out there who "could" be available read today that 25 year old DUFC striker Cammy Smith is leaving the Arabs at the end of January, he has been on loan at Ayr United and has scored 3 goals in (i think) 9 games for them this season so obviously knows where the net is at this level, the only thing is i would guess Ayr Utd would be in for him and he would want to stay full-time?

Others again i always mention Lee Irwin or what about the young lad Hendry (Colin's son) at the Saints? He was on loan at Brechin before and scored a few goals in a struggling team then got into the Saints 1st team and scored a few for them but do not think he is getting a game just now?

Connor Smith any good? We just signed him on loan for the remainder of the season. Is he an attacking midfielder? What's his strengths and weaknesses?

Connor Smith any good? We just signed him on loan for the remainder of the season. Is he an attacking midfielder? What's his strengths and weaknesses?

Attacking Midfielder, didn’t really play much. From what we saw he looked tricky but pretty small and lightweight.

5 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Attacking Midfielder, didn’t really play much. From what we saw he looked tricky but pretty small and lightweight.

Hmm, we are crying out for an attacking midfielder who can feed Mitch, take on players and chip in with some goals. Our centre mid is fairly defensive minded with Fyvie, Yule (who you'll know) and Scully. All very good players for L1 but we need someone akin to Declan Glass to provide that spark.

All the best against Falkirk on Saturday. Good time to play them as they are in a slight lull

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 hours ago, timlichtie said:

The DU striker Louis Appere doesn’t seem to be featuring for them of late. I wonder if he might be a target.

Appere played  last Saturday against Aberdeen - he played really well and with United's injuries problems at the moment I don't think they will allow him to go on loan.

Expecting 2- 3 loan players to come in this January.