The Arbroath Thread

Erwin, Murray and Wighton were all loans. They all had massive impact and critical influence on recent campaigns. Just saying.
Agree that Ruth hasn’t had the success he might have. He looked really promising out wide and hasn’t worked out as a striker when he’s had the chance. It’s difficult for DIck to give him a start ahead of senior players. Maybe he can start in the upcoming cup game and get on the score sheet.

Murray wasn’t a loan. Erwin was ages before Dick’s time. I wouldn’t say Ruth has had a chance in the middle as a striker.

Murray was loaned back to us. He was therefore a loan and a successful one.
Did he not struggle that second half of the season?

5 goals in return for 6 points.

Though to be fair thats when we imploded and finished in 4th after being top at the New Year.

Murray was loaned back to us. He was therefore a loan and a successful one.
If your going to cling onto Murray being a loan he certainly wasn't a successful one. He was a good signing but we completely lost it after the January window that season. He didn't make an impact after coming back on loan which he did do when we signed him.

Anyway, we have had some excellent loanees - Martin, Erwin, Wighton, Miko - but my main point is that we have an ageing squad, no youngsters coming through and in the past couple of seasons - barring Miko - Dick doesn’t seem inclined to give youth a chance. Maybe a bit too conservative to thrive in the Championship?

Bit of a strange one with Ruth, everyone seems to be calling for him to get a chance despite seeing very little of him. Against Heats at home he was really good and thought we had another player on our hands however he simply just hasn't been given a run in the team to really tell if he is good enough at this level at this point. 

It may be that he just hasn't shown up well in training, hopefully he is getting used to the level and we can see a bit more of him in the 2nd half of the season. Virtanen has been a big disappointment so far after the outstanding season last year. Smith from what i have seen (again limited and only on streams) doesn't seem quite ready for the championship, very young and lightweight so same as Ruth, maybe not quite ready yet

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Bit of a strange one with Ruth, everyone seems to be calling for him to get a chance despite seeing very little of him. Against Heats at home he was really good and thought we had another player on our hands however he simply just hasn't been given a run in the team to really tell if he is good enough at this level at this point. 

This sums it up for me. Goals are scarce, a change needs to happen,  so give Ruth a proper chance to show what he can do. Otherwise why bother taking him on loan ? 

He came highly rated by the Aberdeen support, has played first team football with Queens Park at 16,  as well as making an odd appearance for Aberdeen (I think). He looks pacy and direct so totally different to what we have at the moment. 

Kind of agree about Smith. He hasn't had much of a chance but has struggled to get into the game when he has come on. Mostly coming on as a sub late in the game could be a factor though. 

This sums it up for me. Goals are scarce, a change needs to happen,  so give Ruth a proper chance to show what he can do. Otherwise why bother taking him on loan ? 
He came highly rated by the Aberdeen support, has played first team football with Queens Park at 16,  as well as making an odd appearance for Aberdeen (I think). He looks pacy and direct so totally different to what we have at the moment. 
Kind of agree about Smith. He hasn't had much of a chance but has struggled to get into the game when he has come on. Mostly coming on as a sub late in the game could be a factor though. 

Smith has had 26,76 and 20 minutes in 3 league appearances, plus some league cup minutes. Maybe I’m imagining this, but when he’s come on he’s always looked dangerous going forward. We have a lot of midfielders but he is something different. Give him a chance or send him back so Hearts can loan him to another team.