The Arbroath Thread

To be honest I couldn't imagine them selecting us for a game against Alloa, QOS or Morton. Not being disrespectful to those clubs but TV always look to where they'll probably get better viewing figures.
Except that BBC Scotland is a public broadcaster and therefore the types of games selected should have more scope to include smaller clubs as they don't receive any revenue from viewing figures and are supposed to represent the whole country

1 hour ago, Hammerafc said:

Except that BBC Scotland is a public broadcaster and therefore the types of games selected should have more scope to include smaller clubs as they don't receive any revenue from viewing figures and are supposed to represent the whole country

I imagine its a continuous fight to get Scottish lower league games broadcast, so they need the largest viewing figures they can to argue its worth it.

1 hour ago, Hammerafc said:
6 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:
To be honest I couldn't imagine them selecting us for a game against Alloa, QOS or Morton. Not being disrespectful to those clubs but TV always look to where they'll probably get better viewing figures.

They celebrated the Hearts vs Dundee game as the highest ever viewing figures they've gotten on BBC Scotland. I think it's naive to think they don't report back somewhere with the numbers and say look at how well we've spent license money.

They celebrated the Hearts vs Dundee game as the highest ever viewing figures they've gotten on BBC Scotland. I think it's naive to think they don't report back somewhere with the numbers and say look at how well we've spent license money.
Yes clearly that is the case but they do have a larger commitment to represent the whole of Scotland and are not tied by the same limitations that a commercial broadcaster would have.

The main issue that I think the Spfl should have addressed due to Covid restrictions was distributing the BBC Scotland money only to those involved in the games telivised at this time and not through the whole pyramid as not being able to sell any tickets for these games and only getting a sliver of the TV money is not viable currently.

50 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

Yes clearly that is the case but they do have a larger commitment to represent the whole of Scotland and are not tied by the same limitations that a commercial broadcaster would have.

The main issue that I think the Spfl should have addressed due to Covid restrictions was distributing the BBC Scotland money only to those involved in the games telivised at this time and not through the whole pyramid as not being able to sell any tickets for these games and only getting a sliver of the TV money is not viable currently.

Yeah it's certainly a hit for to be on the TV with BBC Scotland. We fully expected that we'd be that week against Hearts so your loss is our gain. Having said we're not particularly popular over there.

We badly need a striker to spark our season into life. Our defensive record is still good but there’s no goal threat. Donnelly at least causes problems for defences and wins some free kicks. Both Wallace and Hester offered more than our recent striking options. Will we get another striker in or rely on the current crew to come good?

After a promising start doolan falls into a long list of ageing strikers that are past their best when they sign. Donnelly needs the correct service to his feet otherwise there’s no point in him playing. I’d like to see ruth given a few games or possibly even give mckenna a shot up there.

That said its not just down to the strikers, our midfield are walways hard working but haven’t been creating enough and maybe look at getting swankie or smith back in the team.

After a promising start doolan falls into a long list of ageing strikers that are past their best when they sign. Donnelly needs the correct service to his feet otherwise there’s no point in him playing. I’d like to see ruth given a few games or possibly even give mckenna a shot up there.
Not sure what Doolan is ment to be able to do with high balls lumped over him and crosses that dont beat the first man. Passes that are going backwards. A formation which leaves him with 2, 3 or 4 players in close proximity to him so any passes that do come his way he cant do an awful lot.

You improve the service and support to Doolan, he will get more goals.

Donnelly, Ruth or McKenna wouldnt do any better the way we are playing.

This is nothing new we have always been a long ball team under dc .if we play that way we must have a target man with a striker playing off him bring back stevie d

Someone like Steven Doris in his prime is exactly what we need. I don’t see why Ruth can’t have a go at it.

We knew that this season would be harder than last, and we were often quite lucky last season with being able to nick a few goals in games where the opposition wasted goal scoring chances.

This season we have carried on playing the same system, but it doesn't work so well because the other teams know how to play against it and we carry no real goalscoring threat. Although we have good players capable of playing in the Championship, as a team we are simply not good enough to compete playing the formation we are continuing to play, at this level. If we carry on with this formation we need to think about changing how we play forward out of defence. High balls from the back, over the opposition defence for the forwards, sorry forward, to chase, and high crosses into the box cry out for someone big enough to compete with tall defenders. We only have Donnelly who is tall enough, but I can't actually remember him heading the ball.

If the manager will not change the formation he will need to get a striker in the next transfer window, preferably one who is 7 feet tall, built like a brick s**t house, can run at 40mph for 90 minutes without pausing for breath and whose touch on the ball is as good as Messi's.

We knew that this season would be harder than last, and we were often quite lucky last season with being able to nick a few goals in games where the opposition wasted goal scoring chances.

This season we have carried on playing the same system, but it doesn't work so well because the other teams know how to play against it and we carry no real goalscoring threat. Although we have good players capable of playing in the Championship, as a team we are simply not good enough to compete playing the formation we are continuing to play, at this level. If we carry on with this formation we need to think about changing how we play forward out of defence. High balls from the back, over the opposition defence for the forwards, sorry forward, to chase, and high crosses into the box cry out for someone big enough to compete with tall defenders. We only have Donnelly who is tall enough, but I can't actually remember him heading the ball.

If the manager will not change the formation he will need to get a striker in the next transfer window, preferably one who is 7 feet tall, built like a brick s**t house, can run at 40mph for 90 minutes without pausing for breath and whose touch on the ball is as good as Messi's.

Get Luke down the gym, boxing training with Bobby and on the steroids.

2 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Not sure what Doolan is ment to be able to do with high balls lumped over him and crosses that dont beat the first man. Passes that are going backwards. A formation which leaves him with 2, 3 or 4 players in close proximity to him so any passes that do come his way he cant do an awful lot.

You improve the service and support to Doolan, he will get more goals.

Donnelly, Ruth or McKenna wouldnt do any better the way we are playing.

It would not matter if we had Alan Shearer in his prime, if we play the formation we are just now and hoof balls up 20 feet in the air no striker in the world would score for us!! So anybody blaming Doolan for not scoring goals does not have a clue about the game as he also has no support and the crosses and passes into the box have in the main have been very poor.  

I really do hate having a go at our Manager after what he has done for our club but the buck stops at him and imo he made TWO MASSIVE MISTAKES yesterday. 

Mistake one was his formation, it is so clear that we are not scoring goals and he has used various "lone" strikers and it is so obvious it is not working so try two front men through the middle with Bobby in a free role out wide changing wings when required. In recent games you have seen a cross going into the box with no maroon shirts there because Doolan or whoever has went looking for the ball and is not in position.

Mistake two was taking Bobby Linn off, i honestly could not believe it as he was the one player who looked dangerous for us and was creating the little amount of chances we were creating, he is also the one player for us who can score a goal out of nothing.

Yesterday's game really was a 6 pointer and to play one lone striker at home against the only other part-time club in the league who were bottom of the table was a very poor choice from DC.

I agreed with DC's pre-match discussion when he said it was always going to be harder this season as we are not a "surprise" package this season and add to that less games so getting points off teams like Alloa, QOTS, Morton etc is even more vital this season and our 3 home games against them has only gave us 2 points and only ONE goal scored.

And anybody to have a pop at Gaston is a joke imo, YES it was his fault for the goal but it is not his fault we cannot score and he has saved us loads of times in the past.

I do have faith in DC and the players but we have to change our formation or get in a super-dooper lone striker like Wighton again to get points on the board.  

C'Mon the Red Lichties.